ISO Help Grilled Black Bean Burgers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inchrisin

Senior Cook
I'll start by saying that I'm not a vegetarian. Sometimes I have trouble making tasty vegetarian food. I have some friends who are coming over for the weekend who are vegetarian.

Tonight, I tried my hand at black bean burgers. I boiled about 5 oz. black beans for forever and added them to a food processor. I minced them and threw them into a few T of panko bread crumbs, 1/2 egg, and some spices. The taste is right. I just need more emulsification. I'm hoping to avoid eggs altogether, but if I need to, I'll add more. I guess I'm looking for critique on my recipe and someone who knows how to make a mean black bean burger. I'm hoping to make about 5 or 6. This was just a test run:

5 oz black beans
2T panko bread crumbs
1T olive oil
1T dried onion flakes
1t cumin
1t salt
1t pepper
1t chili powder
1/2 t cayenne

This made 2 small patties.

I molded them together and placed them on the grill. They fell apart even though I gingerly flipped them. They taste pretty good, but I need them to hold together better.

The worst thing about them is that when they fall into the charcoal below they smell HORRID! I want to prevent this if at all possible.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I'll start by saying that I'm not a vegetarian. Sometimes I have trouble making tasty vegetarian food. I have some friends who are coming over for the weekend who are vegetarian.

Tonight, I tried my hand at black bean burgers. I boiled about 5 oz. black beans for forever and added them to a food processor. I minced them and threw them into a few T of panko bread crumbs, 1/2 egg, and some spices. The taste is right. I just need more emulsification. I'm hoping to avoid eggs altogether, but if I need to, I'll add more. I guess I'm looking for critique on my recipe and someone who knows how to make a mean black bean burger. I'm hoping to make about 5 or 6. This was just a test run:

5 oz black beans
2T panko bread crumbs
1T olive oil
1T dried onion flakes
1t cumin
1t salt
1t pepper
1t chili powder
1/2 t cayenne

This made 2 small patties.

I molded them together and placed them on the grill. They fell apart even though I gingerly flipped them. They taste pretty good, but I need them to hold together better.

The worst thing about them is that when they fall into the charcoal below they smell HORRID! I want to prevent this if at all possible.

Thanks for the help.
The smell is the beans burning. What about some grated tofu or putting the patties in the fridge for 30 minutes? I'm not a vegetarian, but if you took some tofu and pureed it, it would make a paste...just thinking what I would do--or maybe add some chickpea flour. Don't know. Just thoughts.

You can use some of the liquid from the beans for more moisture. Also, here's a recipe I've made many times - it's excellent. It also uses the liquid from the beans (canned beans), and doesn't use egg. I serve it with a yogurt dip instead of salsa:
BLACK BEAN PATTIES WITH CILANTRO AND LIME
Black Bean Patties with Cilantro and Lime Recipe | MyRecipes.com

Last edited:
You may also want to look at your local "bbq/grill store", big box store, or camping goods store for a grill baking sheet. I have one that is about 11x12 inches and only has one lip on it, much like a cookie sheet. I have another that is like a modified open pan or wok. I like the flat one because it doesn't interfer with the whole cooking area.

Great for fish, sliced fruit, potatoes, onion slices etc.

Attachments

• Grill Baking Sheet.jpg
    Grill Baking Sheet.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 244

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom