Dauphinoise Potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Andy, see I'm reading conflicting recipes and cant remember for the life of me how I made them last time (short attention span!).

I DEFINITELY vote for waxy potatoes for casseroles, gratins, scallops, etc., etc. Either reds, whites ("White Rose" is a favorite if you can find them), Yukon Golds, etc., etc.

Russets/Idahos, just in my opinion, don't become "creamy" - they turn into mashed potato mush. Were never meant to be used this way. I have well over 2 dozen recipes for various casseroled potatoes saved on my computer, & Lord only knows how many in cookbooks (just checked out a handful). Not ONE doesn't call for waxy or "boiling" potatoes.

But all cooking is governed by personal taste. Use "floury" potatoes if you must Gravy Queen - but do come back & tell us how you liked them in your recipe.

Okay - that's ONE for Russets - lol!

Like I said - not trying to start an argument, just saying that 99.9% vote for waxy potatoes. They soften, but retain their integrity & don't dissolve.

And again like I said - personal preference rules. I'm not saying don't use them, but the OP asked for preference, & the majority is for waxy.

Hopefully the OP will come back & say how she enjoyed using Russets in a casserole.

GQ, I'd recommend you try one and see if it's as you remember. If not, it wil still be delicious then switch to the other next time. If yes, great!

Bacardi I grow 7 varieties of pots here in the UK for different uses. Charlottes are the waxy salads I grow and I would not use them for bolangere or dauphinoise. Steve K IMO is correct. Gravy I grow cara for baking and topping the flavor and lack of fall will suit the dauphin as would king eds, maris piper, desiree and roosters.:)

Okay, I'm totally confused. What recipe?

I have to disagree about the type of potatoes. I've made this dish often and only use starchy potatoes for Dauphinoise. Russets work perfectly. This is one recipe where you actually want the starch, as it contributes to the overall creaminess.

This recipe looks like just what the doctor ordered.
BBC - Food - Recipes : Dauphinoise potatoes

I'm with Steve on this one. The recipe is in many ways just a simplified version of my scalloped potatoes recipe which had its beginning in Rombauer & Becker's Joy of Cooking cookbook.

Russets work perfectly in my recipe which is just a superset of the one referenced in Steve's post. You know when you have the recipe exactly right when it shows browning (see the recipe site).

Furthermore I don't skin my potatoes. By the time they've fully cooked the skins are as tender as the rest, and add flavor. Some may not like the rustic appearance of the skins but I do.

Zhizara I quoted Steve's post above for you, since his was the only actual recipe posted in the Topic. The link is BBC Food. It's probably a representative recipe.

Thanks, Andy & Greg. It was confusing that everyone seemed to know about it, yet I had never heard of it.

I've got a bunch of little red potatoes I need to use up. Hmmmm.

Back
Top Bottom