French Onion Soup
French Onion Soup
4 Tbsp light olive oil
8 cups thinly sliced onions
1/2 tsp granulated sugar
1 level Tbsp flour
2 1/2 qts your best home made beef stock
4 Tbsp good brandy
Note: Homemade beef and chicken stocks, when made properly, do not contain flavor enhancers like salt and pepper. This important feature makes homemade stock more versatile in many different recipes, and absolutely essential in this one. (See below for Bonus recipe - Julia Child's Beef Stock)
1. Set a heavy bottom sauce pan over medium heat and add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions. Cover the pan and cook the onions slowly until they are tender and translucent. This will take about ten minutes.
2. Remove the lid, raise the heat to medium high, and stir in the sugar. Continue to cook the onions, stirring frequently, until they take on a dark walnut brown color. This will take about 20 to 25 minutes.
3. Sprinkle in the flour and continue to cook the onions while stirring for an additional 2 minutes.
4. Remove the onions from the heat and set them aside (without removing them from the pot) to cool a little.
5 While the onions are cooling, heat the stock to a slow simmer. Stir about 3 cups of hot stock into the onions along with the brandy. Return this mixture to the stove over medium high heat and bring it to a simmer. Cook this mixture while gently stirring for about 3 minutes.
6. Add the remaining stock, loosely cover the pot, and slowly simmer the soup for about one and a half hours.
7. Adjust seasoning with salt and freshly ground black pepper before serving
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.