Freezing cocount milk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I don't see a forum for Freezing stuff. I am wondering if it would be worth creating one?

Anyway, I froze about 1/2 can of coconut milk in an ice cube tray. Before doing so, I stirred what was left in the can to mix the more solid stuff with the thinner stuff. I've read that the thawed milk can be grainy/sandy. Does anyone have any tips re: best way to freeze that bit of coconut milk that is leftover? It seems I rarely use the full can.

I would do just as you did, stir it and freeze it in an ice cube tray, then transfer the coconut milk cubes to a plastic bag and squeeze out as much air as possible. It will of course gather frost as time passes, so better to use it ASAP.

Make more Thai curries. :)

I would do just as you did, stir it and freeze it in an ice cube tray, then transfer the coconut milk cubes to a plastic bag and squeeze out as much air as possible. It will of course gather frost as time passes, so better to use it ASAP.

Make more Thai curries. :)
I figure since I froze it in an ice cube tray, I can toss a cube or two in when making rice, etc. and should be able to use them up within the next month and a bit.

I've experimented adding coconut milk to white rice and my result was that it has never given the rice any worth while noticeable improvement. It just doesn't seem to turn white rice into coconut rice. To accomplish the latter, I think it would be better to add unsweetened dried coconut. (I haven't closed out this experiment yet but I have nothing worth sharing at the present.)

My favorite uses for coconut milk are various types of Thai curries (including chicken halves braised in coconut milk, curry spices, etc.), and in making dipping sauces.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom