Unconditional Advice Wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coballs

Assistant Cook
Hey everyone so I am new to the forums and just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Dan and I am graduating college in about 3 weeks (THANK GOD IM ALMOST DONE). Took me about 4 years to realize I didn't want to do anything in my major, but rather go in the food industry. I love everything about it, and cooking keeps me out of my head and occupied. I'll be moving from Pennsylvania to Florida in September and will be looking for a job in the kitchen working the line.

Now I have no former experience working in a kitchen, but I am a better cook than the average student. Does anyone have advice for me not only for working in a restaurant, but just for refining my skills or things to read up on before I delve into this field that I so badly want to give a shot. Thanks!

Wear good supportive shoes (floors are hard).

Always show up for work early, ready to work and in a great mood.

Never drink on the job or at the place you work (even after service) - ever.

Regardless of the position you get, learn as much as you can about that position and then about other positions. Be ready to fill in as needed. You will be remembered when a better position becomes available.

Kitchens can be high stress at crunch time and tempers flare. Always be polite.

Learn to cook eggs.

Experiment with foods you don't usually eat or like.

Study about ingredients and their preparations.

Brush up on your Spanish

Kitchens are hot - avoid polyester clothes and keep your hair short

Practice knife skills

Avoid chain restaurants if possible - not too much cooking goes on in many of them (lots of heat and eat)

Acquire nothing not directly related to your pursuit! Owning stuff ties you down. If you are serious about the food industry you may be moving regularly for a few years. Learn to live light.

Stay single. (see above)

Go to used book stores and buy the classics. (Larousse, etc.) Study them.

Have fun :)

Where in Florida are you going? Does "better cook than the average student", indicate culinary training?

Have good knife skills and be able to put up with a good amount of crap. Know what you're doing. Long, hot hours and no holidays. It's a great business to be in. :) Good luck.

I'll only say this. Keep in mind that turning something you enjoy into a profession can often make it no longer enjoyable. Make sure you are truly passionate about it, or it may simply become a "job".

Where in Florida are you going? Does "better cook than the average student", indicate culinary training?

As I stated I have no former experience so no culinary training. But from people I know at my age or students in college, I can make a pretty unbiased judgment that I can cook better than most.

Now I know a lot of basics and can only cook a small portion of foods, but there are some things I can cook very well. I really want to learn a lot more and experiment a lot more with different foods.

One thing holding me back is my budget. I'm hoping once I move to Florida, Fort Myers by the way, I will be able to find a job where I can buy all the necessary accessories. Also could someone give me a list of some necessary accessories. Like I don't have a food processor but I know that would come in handy, plus how expensive roughly each accessory may set me back.

I'll only say this. Keep in mind that turning something you enjoy into a profession can often make it no longer enjoyable. Make sure you are truly passionate about it, or it may simply become a "job".

I understand what you are saying, but I've realized the more I learn and the better I cook the more enjoyable it is for me to do. I want to expand my skill set and really develop it.

I am about to graduate with a criminal justice degree that I will have no use for. By the time I realized I didn't want to that, and realized I rather cook it was to late to just stop. I have never been the academic type and I think I have horrible undiagnosed ADD. When I am cooking I can concentrate and stay out of my busy head.

Get good with seafood! Grouper is big over there, red snapper and shellfish. Ft. Myers beach is a big tourist trap, but the locals will always be interested in a great seafood place.

Get a quality set of knives! They will set you back, but if cared for, are something that can be passed to the next generation. Just like quality cookware.

You do realize that cooks don't make a pile of money, do you? To make a decent salary, you have to get into management, or become an executive chef. Then, you end up managing more than cooking. Been there, done that. Probably will have to do it again....

You do realize that cooks don't make a pile of money, do you? To make a decent salary, you have to get into management, or become an executive chef. Then, you end up managing more than cooking. Been there, done that. Probably will have to do it again....

Yes I do realize that, I just want to give it a shot see how I like it, and money isn't a big thing to me. I mean yes I want to be able to buy kitchen equipment and good food. But I am not a materialistic person.

Just need the money to pay for rent to split with my friends, gas, food, and minor expenses.

I would be happy to fill you in on aspects of the industry, that may not be appropriate to go live on the board with. . . feel free to PM me. I have been in the industry for about 17 years.

One thing to keep in mind: it is NOT a glamorous job, like the Food network would have you believe. Be prepared to say good bye to nights, weekends, holidays, family, and take on a "New" family, those you work with.

With no training, be prepared to work LONG hours, for crap pay. . .especially in FL, where there are 5 other people(immigrants) willing to work TWICE as hard, TWICE as long, for LESS pay. It will NOT be a creative outlet until way later in the game, so be prepared to make the same things, over, and over, and over, all for someone else.

Don't go into it thinking you will get rich. Be prepared to deal with a LOT of ego's. Be prepared to get broken, and rebuilt if you fall under the tutelage of a capable Chef.

If I had spent 4 years in University, I would focus on THAT, and take up cooking as a hobby, maybe get a part time gig in a kitchen, do a week long stage somewhere on your own time/dime.

Being a better cook than most students doesn't translate to much in the industry. . .for the 4 years you have been in University, someone else has been getting a 4 year heads start over you. . .It is a labor of love. If you are NOT passionate about it, and on your game 100%, it shows in the food, and reflects in your product.

. . . not saying it can't be done, but there are a LOT of unrealistic expectations out there because of the raging popularity that being a "Chef" has become. It is NOT like on TV, at all.

I agree with TR. I've never once envied anybody in the culinary industry, with the possible exception of media chefs like Gordon Ramsay, Rick Bayless, Mario Batali and other top chefs who are famous not only for their cooking TV programs but who are all successful restauranteurs. Yet for every chef in this category there are millions who are sous chefs at McDonald's and Taco Bell, perhaps many of them working graveyard shifts for minimum wages.

I have enjoyed being an amateur chef for many decades, and one of my best decisions was to never, ever consider going into the industry.

OP, if you are serious, my advice is to get some professional cooking school experience.

It would be interesting if you can comment on what subject area you studied in, OP.

^ not sure what OP means.

And I understand the crappy hours and pay, but right now in my life it is the only thing I am strongly interested in pursuing.

I realize that some people have the good fortune to land on their feet in their perfect dream profession. But I don't think cooking better than the average student really fits the qualifications to step into a food industry job much above fry cook at a fast food. A friend has been taking classes for years and has finally landed a job as a pastry chef in a restaurant but he's still flipping burgers during the week. I do wish you the best of luck and hope your enthusiasm gets you there.

Back
Top Bottom