Is there Cheap Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coballs

Assistant Cook
One thing I leave completely out of my diet when I am at school is FISH. I don't know much about different fishes, don't know how to properly cook fish, and am clueless if there even is cheap fish.

I am just under the impression it is out of my price range as a college student. Also what are your opinions on buying frozen fish?

Howdy!
Welcome to D.C.!
Get thee down to the fishmonger and see what he/she/they have to offer.
'Course, a modest investment in a cane pole and some crickets will generally result in cheap fish, if you fancy goin' fishin'.

Tilapia is relatively cheap, as is farm-raised salmon. Frozen fish and seafood can be a good buy, and is often fresher than the fresh equivalent, since many times it's flash frozen right on the boats.

Last edited:
Welcome to D.C.

I am predominately a Pescatarian, which is a person who predominately eats fish, shellfish and seafood ... Health wise, I do not feel as good when I do not eat fish ... It is my main source of Protein ...

I suggest, as Hoot mentioned, to visit the Fish Mongers in your vicinity and ask them: which varieties are in season firstly, their prices, and how to´s ... They are a grand source of information and fabulous recipes.

Kind regards, Have lovely wkend,
Ciao, Margaux.

Do not, but when I move to Fort Myers in September my friend is going to show me the ropes. I'm looking forward to kicking back relaxing, drinking some beer and catching some feisty fish.

There are two ways to approach fishing. One is practically dry and the other is totally wet. I fish with the wet method. The practically dry method lets you waggle a stick around and catch whatever bites. The wet method allows you to see what you are going to catch and there isn't any by-catch.:D

i'm envious that you eill be fishing near fort meyers!

you're gonna love eating spanish mackerel, sea trout, grouper, snook, red fish, and triple tail. and get some crab traps for even more fun.

as far as buying cheap fish, besides tilapia and salmon, clams and mussels are fairly inexpensive.

Last edited:
I do love mussels in red or sauce. Also how will I know what fish/crab is safe to eat?

fish filet should look bright, not feel slimy, and should NOT smell like fish. You are in Philly, a pretty fish friendly place, as the food scene there supports the need for higher quality, fresh fish. If looking at whole fish(small tilapia, milk fish, etc) they eyes should be clear, not milky, the gills nice and red, not dark or brown, and again, should not smelly fishy.

Frozen Filets are readily available in most markets, and great deals can be found in the Asian Markets. Farm Raised Sea Bass, Sword, Mackerel, Mahi, salmon, Snapper. . . all should be readily available in single service, IQF portions.

Crabs, if buying live, they should be very lively, kicking and clawing. Crab more along the lines of snow crab, king crab, just have to pass the sniff test too. They should smell sweet, and like the sea. . . again, not fishy.

As mentioned, Mussels are great, and cheap, and if you like them, there isn't much to cooking them at home. Just make sure you clean the beards off, and clean the grit off the shells. Toast some garlic in some olive oil, add a pinch of dried oregano, parsley, thyme, a few capers, crushed red pepper, add the Mussels, add a splash of whit wine, cover, steam until opened, add a little tomato sauce, a pinch of salt, let the liquid come down some, add a knob of butter(optional), or finish with olive oil. Serve in a bowl with some crusty bread. Might set you back $8, total.

the only crab that you'll catch that you can eat are blue claws.

as for the fish, aks the locals when you reel one up. you'll learn very quickly.

also, i would recommend buying a book called "sport fish of the gulf of mexico" by vic dunaway.

the only crab that you'll catch that you can eat are blue claws.

as for the fish, aks the locals when you reel one up. you'll learn very quickly.

also, i would recommend buying a book called "sport fish of the gulf of mexico" by vic dunaway.

Oh bucky! You have forgotten our wonderful stonecrabs. You can catch them, but only take legal size claws. The crab must be returned live to regenerate the claws, which can be harvested in the future. Talk about sustainable.;)

We have other crabs which are edible. Only one of which is commercially harvested, the golden crab.

Oh bucky! You have forgotten our wonderful stonecrabs. You can catch them, but only take legal size claws. The crab must be returned live to regenerate the claws, which can be harvested in the future. Talk about sustainable.;)

We have other crabs which are edible. Only one of which is commercially harvested, the golden crab.

i thought you needed a commercial license for stone crabs?
really? never knew that chaps.so you take the claws & return them to grow new ones.that IS perpetual motion!! does anyone farm them?how long to regenerate to harvestable size again? are both claws removed or just one 'cos only problem i can see is lack of defence against predators if they are both removed.of course that may be even worse in the confines of a farmed environment.well,you live & learn.
cheers C & T

As long as you follow the rules, all you need is a recreational fishing license.

Presently, both claws can be taken if legal size. It is suggested that only one claw be taken. The claws will be regenerated at the next molt, but I have no idea how many molts to get a legal size claw again.

Just a few notes about fish safety: Tilapia is cheap because 95% of it is imported from Cihina, where environmental controls are questionable. I haven't eaten tilapia in years. Flounder and salmon cost just a bit more and are healthier. Also, if you're concerned about mercury at all, avoid large predator fish like swordfish, grouper and mackerel. Since they eat smaller fish, the mercury load in their body is larger and thus more likely to cause problems. Here's more info: The Super Green List from Seafood Watch

Seafood Watch also has downloadable guides for buying safe, sustainable seafood and a mobile app for looking them up when you're in the store.

So if I do get frozen fish, should I defrost it before I cook it?

Also if I buy frozen do you recommend cooking it in a pan or in the oven?

Yes, you should defrost it first.
You can cook it either way. You can also grill fish. Or make soup, or gumbo.
I like me some baked fish!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom