Black vs. white truffle oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
If I am going to get one type of truffle oil, should it be black or white? Since they're both pretty expensive and I don't see myself using all that often, I think buying both would be a waste. Which is more versatile or commonly used?

Trufa al Perfume di Alba is the white truffle, which is quite a bit more expensive than the more common black variety. I would go with the white ... It is much more delicate.

ENJOY, Have a lovely
Sunday,
Margaux.

Have you used truffle oil before. In my experience, it's a waste of money. Any relationship between the truffle oil and an actual truffle appears to be slight. I gave up on the oils and bought truffle salt. Now the salt has plenty of genuine truffle flavor and smell. Specifically, I use FungusAmongUs truffle salt.

When I say any relationship between truffle oil and a truffle is slight, what I mean is that, for almost everything called "truffle oil," no truffle was harmed in the making, because they are made purely with chemical compounds meant to smell like truffles. These are indeed some of the compounds found in actual truffles, but so does Tang have some compounds found in orange juice. And it's quite easy to use a tiny bit of truffle to justify a claim that actual truffles are used in one or another product.

I know I haven't found a truffle oil I thought was worth messing with, but the salt hits you as soon as you open it. I don't know if those bits in with the salt are bits of actual truffle, but they're sure doing something right with the salt.

Try both yourself. You'll see.

Have you used truffle oil before. In my experience, it's a waste of money. Any relationship between the truffle oil and an actual truffle appears to be slight. I gave up on the oils and bought truffle salt. Now the salt has plenty of genuine truffle flavor and smell. Specifically, I use FungusAmongUs truffle salt.

When I say any relationship between truffle oil and a truffle is slight, what I mean is that, for almost everything called "truffle oil," no truffle was harmed in the making, because they are made purely with chemical compounds meant to smell like truffles. These are indeed some of the compounds found in actual truffles, but so does Tang have some compounds found in orange juice. And it's quite easy to use a tiny bit of truffle to justify a claim that actual truffles are used in one or another product.

I know I haven't found a truffle oil I thought was worth messing with, but the salt hits you as soon as you open it. I don't know if those bits in with the salt are bits of actual truffle, but they're sure doing something right with the salt.

Try both yourself. You'll see.

I absolute agree with you! To me truffle oil is merely just Truffle scented oil. I have both white and black truffle oil at home, both scents are closely the same strong earthy scent, flavour absolutely none. If your buying the oil and you rarely use it, I'll just buy the most affordable one.

Truffle oil can be very different. You can have truffle aromatised oils which just smell, or oils with real truffles. Those taste really good. There is also butter with truffle available, with long shelf life and also great taste of real truffles. Truffle salt is a great product - because again, it has real truffles inside. The only downside of truffle salt is that it loses its flavor much quicker than the oily products.

When it comes to choosing white vs. black its like that: white is more delicate, but has a more refined, delicious taste. Black is stronger, but not as complex.
Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom