Supper, Thursday 2012 July 26

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I hope I'm not duplicating.

My intention is to make beef stroganoff for supper. I got a deal on a whole beef tenderloin yesterday. w00t! :pig:

I'm feeling too lazy to make egg noodles, so it will be fettuccine, and a salad on the side. Still deciding if I want to serve that with red or rosé wine. It's ot and muggy, so chilled wine is quite appealing.

A slice of stinky aged brick cheese, mmmmm. Overly spicy chili with peppers and mushrooms and 3 cucumber spears I threw in the left over pickle brine.
A small fruit smoothie after dinner for dessert-plum, peach, apple.

Attachments

• DSC00670.jpg
    DSC00670.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 187
Icy cold platter of cucumbers, tomatoe's from the yard and, avocados, drizzled with lime juice. stuffed zucchini and onions, grilled chicken pounded and smeared with herbed goat cheese, grilled potatoes with evoo,salt,pepper,garlic, and rose water,saffron pistashio Ice cream. for dessert.
kades

We had baked parmesan chicken ( NOT chicken parmesan!) I bread chicken breasts with Italian bread crumbs and parmesan cheese and drizzle with butter. Baked some potatoes and had some green beans.

My intention is to make beef stroganoff for supper. I got a deal on a whole beef tenderloin yesterday. w00t! :pig:

I'm feeling too lazy to make egg noodles, so it will be fettuccine, and a salad on the side. Still deciding if I want to serve that with red or rosé wine. It's ot and muggy, so chilled wine is quite appealing.

Sounds good!

Although I'm not sure it would be any saving of labor over egg noodles or fettuccine, I recommend fried potato straws! Our forum's "beef Stroganoff" topic has been inactive lately I continued to investigate authoritative sources, and I stand by my comments in the other topic that potato straws are consistent with authentic recipes since almost the original recipe (IIRC ~1860s).

I hope you or others will be encouraged to try Beef Stroganoff over fried potato straws. I tried it and I won't serve it any other way now that I know how good it is.

Me? I'm having nuke 'n puke tonight, which I'm sorrowful to say is all to often lately, due to my current residence and minimal kitchen facilities.

It will be Marie Callender's Country Fried Pork Chop & Gravy, a sad paean to what I would be eating if I had a decent kitchen.

this

SIt will be Marie Callender's Country Fried Pork Chop & Gravy, a sad paean to what I would be eating if I had a decent kitchen.

Marie C. had some sort of apple thing in this nuke 'n puke package dinner. I tasted one bite and threw the rest away.

The pork chop was insipid, the gravy was anathema, and the potatoes were paste.

The best thing I can say about this product is that I'm glad I'll never ever have to eat it ever again. Y.U.C.K.

Sounds good!

Although I'm not sure it would be any saving of labor over egg noodles or fettuccine, I recommend fried potato straws! Our forum's "beef Stroganoff" topic has been inactive lately I continued to investigate authoritative sources, and I stand by my comments in the other topic that potato straws are consistent with authentic recipes since almost the original recipe (IIRC ~1860s).

I hope you or others will be encouraged to try Beef Stroganoff over fried potato straws. I tried it and I won't serve it any other way now that I know how good it is.

Me? I'm having nuke 'n puke tonight, which I'm sorrowful to say is all to often lately, due to my current residence and minimal kitchen facilities.

It will be Marie Callender's Country Fried Pork Chop & Gravy, a sad paean to what I would be eating if I had a decent kitchen.

this
What exactly are potato straws? I would be willing to give it a try if it isn't too much effort or it's a day when I enjoy the effort.

Did you see what I posted as supper yesterday? http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/wednesdays-dinner-7-25-a-80761-3.html#post1166023 Those nukable Indian meals are quite tasty and made of food, no weird chemicals. I assume they are fairly authentic. They are made in India and when Stirling left California after a three month contract, he posted the balance of his Indian nukable meals on Freecycle An Indian woman came and got them..

Potato straws, just nomenclature, "skinny French fries."

Same recipe, same procedure, same double fry method if you double fry your French fries.

Or just make French fries, but not fat ones. Make skinny ones. Or make your usual fries, probably not that much difference. I like "crispy" and the straw fries hold up better under gravy than fat ones.

Last edited:
Potato straws, just nomenclature, "skinny French fries."

Same recipe, same procedure, same double fry method if you double fry your French fries.

Or just make French fries, but not fat ones. Make skinny ones. Or make your usual fries, probably not that much difference. I like "crispy" and the straw fries hold up better under gravy than fat ones.
I make French fries once every five years. :ermm::LOL:

Did you see what I posted as supper yesterday? http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/wednesdays-dinner-7-25-a-80761-3.html#post1166023 Those nukable Indian meals are quite tasty and made of food, no weird chemicals. I assume they are fairly authentic. They are made in India and when Stirling left California after a three month contract, he posted the balance of his Indian nukable meals on Freecycle An Indian woman came and got them..

No I didn't see that. While I like Indian food in general (particularly tandoori and tikka) I'm not overly fond of vegetarian food. I'm sorry to say, but some kind of animal has to die for my dinner: beef, lamb, pork, fowl or fish (shrimp included). Maybe I should be ashamed of myself but I'm not. I can get through breakfast and lunch without killing animals but for dinner I want meat!

I'll probably die some day, killed by a vegan who does not believe in killing animals.

No I didn't see that. While I like Indian food in general (particularly tandoori and tikka) I'm not overly fond of vegetarian food. I'm sorry to say, but some kind of animal has to die for my dinner: beef, lamb, pork, fowl or fish (shrimp included). Maybe I should be ashamed of myself but I'm not. I can get through breakfast and lunch without killing animals but for dinner I want meat!

I'll probably die some day, killed by a vegan who does not believe in killing animals.
I'm a big time carnivore myself and I still think these are good.

I make French fries once every five years. :ermm::LOL:
Really, try it once, just for me, make some really crispy French fries, then serve your Beef Stroganoff over it. You'll at least see what I mean although you may not agree with me.

I already posted my cite in the Beef Stroganoff topic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_stroganoff

A 1912 recipe adds onions and tomato paste, and serves it with crisp potato straws, which are considered the traditional side dish in Russia.[2]
[2]
  1. Joyce Toomre, ed., Classic Russian Cooking: Elena Molokhovets' A Gift to Young Housewives, 1992; first edition of Molokhovets was 1861; the 1912 recipe mentioned be Toomre is in Alekandrova-Ignat'eva.
I actually got this book from my public library and verified it was exactly as described, that the editor (Toomre) quoted the 1912 recipe as using potato straws (thin, crispy French fries, in my own words).

Not something I dreamed up. Something I read about, and tried, and totally works!

While I like Indian food in general (particularly tandoori and tikka) I'm not overly fond of vegetarian food. I'm sorry to say, but some kind of animal has to die for my dinner: beef, lamb, pork, fowl or fish (shrimp included). Maybe I should be ashamed of myself but I'm not. I can get through breakfast and lunch without killing animals but for dinner I want meat!

I am the same Greg, I love meat and must have it in some description for my dinner :)

Take out for only one more night here. Yeahhh!!!

My beautiful new granite counters were installed today and they just left........
Here's the pictures from after and before. I'm thrilled to never have to deal with that horrible white tile and grout again!! The breakfast bar is drop dead gorgeous! My new deep one hole sink will hold my largest pots and pans without that dang useless divided sink I had before and the new faucet is wonderful !! Doing a happy dance!! Check it out!

kitchen countertops pictures by Kayelle - Photobucket

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom