Harry's Pork Steak Souvlaki

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Cobean

Executive Chef
nice,quick & easy to prepare with only a few ingredients.i remember eating this with spaghetti squash(i was right steve kroll,tesco's not stocked it since!)spiced up with chilli/parsley & flat green beans braised in a simple tomato sauce.i also like it in pitta bread with salad....even mashed spuds..as with all of my takes on recipe's.....your food,you choose
THE INGREDIENTS-adjust based on quantity..this was for 2 steaks
a)2 pork steaks...i used leg steaks but i have cooked it with shoulder steaks & pork loin.....all deelish...tastiest is shoulder imo but more of a chew!
b)juice of a lemon
c)1tbls evoo
d)1tbls red wine vinegar
e)lots of dried oregano...greek if you've got it..no? then regular dried oregano
f)lots of peeled garlic cloves
g)big pinch of salt...i like sea salt
h)lots of ground black pepper
THE METHOD
1)beat your pork(stop sniggering there at the back carruthers)with a meat mallet/bottom of a heavy pan to tenderise/thin the meat out.i use the cube side of the mallet 'cos the indentations created carry the marinade into the meat
2)finely slice the garlic...i used me mandolin.
3)chuck b) to h) into a bowl,stir to mix
4)put the meat in the marinade,turn a couple of times to coat,film up & refrigerate for as long as possible.24hrs is best imo or all day but min of 4hrs.or put it all in a food bag,seal it & massage your pork(last warning carruthers) every now and then
5)turn meat in marinade every few hours.
6)heat a griddle or frying pan or grill til smokin' hot.i love my griddle pans as i don't have a grill/bbq
7)remove meat from marinade & wipe off excess.DO NOT USE MARINADE BEYOND THIS POINT
8)cook your meat.if your pan/grill whatever is hot enough sufficient oil from the marinade will cling to the meat to prevent sticking
9)squeeze lemon juice over cooked meat and.......
10)ENJOY

Attachments

• PORK SOUVLAKI 001.JPG
    PORK SOUVLAKI 001.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 628
  • PORK SOUVLAKI 003.JPG
    PORK SOUVLAKI 003.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 233
  • PORK SOUVLAKI 004.JPG
    PORK SOUVLAKI 004.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 226
  • PORK SOUVLAKI 005.JPG
    PORK SOUVLAKI 005.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Harry This looks amazing I will surely try it.
But I think you are holding out on us !! Tell
us about the two sides they look great also.

Josie

Harry This looks amazing I will surely try it.
But I think you are holding out on us !! Tell
us about the two sides they look great also.

Josie
thanks josie.holding out?moi? of course i am 'cos you know i'm the shy,self effacing type right:ermm::ohmy::LOL::ROFLMAO:!!
okey schmokey.the top one is spaghetti squash dressed with finely chopped parsley & finely chopped chilli.
never cooked or eaten spag squash before.just followed the instructions on the sticker.pricked it all over with skewer,in the microwave for the no of mins in the instructions.halved,scooped out the "spag"(saved the seeds for roasting:yum:),drained it in a sieve(lots of water there) & then just mixed in the parsley,chilli,some evoo,salt & pepper....dead easy.
the bottom one is flat green beans in tomato sauce
just put the beans in a dish with some bottled passata(sieved tomato pulp),garlic,evoo,tomato paste,pinch sugar,anchovy fillet,bit of basil,black pepper & a couple of sliced green olives.covered & whacked in the oven for 25mins.easy one too

Last edited:
Harry, great pictures!

We enjoy souvlaki for breakfast with a couple of FRESH eggs, fried taters and some hot buttered toast!

It is also great for campfire cooking!

Harry, great pictures!

We enjoy souvlaki for breakfast with a couple of FRESH eggs, fried taters and some hot buttered toast!

It is also great for campfire cooking!
thanks auntie....campfire is perfecto....get all those nice charred bits.....just can't get there with a griddle pan....nearly but not quite:chef:

i'll cook a few & you can them away....but there is vat on my take aways:LOL:! & stick 'em in the freezer.....providing you've laid the cider pipeline that is;)

I'm looking for my shovel as we speak :ROFLMAO::LOL:

By the way, how was the spaghetti squash? I really want to try it but blimey it's hard to find...!

I'm looking for my shovel as we speak :ROFLMAO::LOL:

By the way, how was the spaghetti squash? I really want to try it but blimey it's hard to find...!
totally delicious kez,i put more detail in my reply to josie,couple of posts back.typical tesco...had 'em in one day,sold out,never restocked...oh booger!!
i'm going to find out about growing some at bro' bolas's next year but i've got an 'orrible feeling they take up an awful lot of room,like most squashes do!
right,break over...get diggin':LOL:!

thanks josie.holding out?moi? of course i am 'cos you know i'm the shy,self effacing type right:LOL:!!
okey schmokey.the top one is spaghetti squash dressed with finely chopped parsley & finely chopped chilli.
never cooked or eaten spag squash before.just followed the instructions on the sticker.pricked it all over with skewer,in the microwave for the no of mins in the instructions.halved,scooped out the "spag"(saved the seeds for roasting),drained it in a sieve(lots of water there) & then just mixed in the parsley,chilli,some evoo,salt & pepper....dead easy.
the bottom one is flat green beans in tomato sauce
just put the beans in a dish with some bottled passata(sieved tomato pulp),garlic,evoo,tomato paste,pinch sugar,anchovy fillet,bit of basil,black pepper & a couple of sliced green olives.covered & whacked in the oven for 25mins.easy one too

Harry,
I was not ignoring you. I had surgery thursday. Thanks I will try the sides also.
As far as you being shy and self effacing!!:D:whistling:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Josie

Harry,
I was not ignoring you. I had surgery thursday. Thanks I will try the sides also.
As far as you being shy and self effacing!!:D:whistling:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Josie
no probs josie...cor blimey o'reilly 'tis the season for surgery....i had me shoulder op last thursday...take some pics & we'll compare scars:ermm::ohmy::LOL:!!
hope you're feeling ok,speedy recovery too J
H

no probs josie...cor blimey o'reilly 'tis the season for surgery....i had me shoulder op last thursday...take some pics & we'll compare scars:ermm::ohmy::LOL:!!
hope you're feeling ok,speedy recovery too J

H

No scar this time it was lazer surgery. I have been where you are I had
Shoulder surgery in 2001. Hope you heal fast!!

Josie

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom