Gardening problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
This isn't really a problem, but I am curious as to what it is. Because I am only now being able to get out and water my vegetable/herb garden (uneven ground, broken hip), my husband has taken over that duty. he was sort of panicked the other day when he saw what I jokingly, to myself, have always called tomato leaf leprosy, or even "leopard leaves". The leaves at this time of year (when for us, the tomatoes are just coming in), often start turning yellow and always have these gray-ish, round spots on them (hence the leopard skin look). It is never the top or outer leaves that are exposed to the sun, and the tomatoes are unaffected. I've always just cut/pulled off the affected leaves /branches and thrown them away (they are the inner leaves not getting sunlight, so aren't necessary for photosenthysis. OK, I misspelled that.

I'm assuming because they are leaves that don't see much daylight, that it is some sort of mold or mildew. Any ideas?

Claire, do the leaves look like this?

image-1080721893.jpg

If so it could be Septoria leaf spot. I have had similar problems in the past and I do the same as you, just prune them out. I am having trouble with blossom drop on my heirloom plant, the plant is gorgeous and healthy otherwise :(

Yep, that's pretty much it. Like I said, they are never leaves that are needed, so I just weed them out and toss them, hoping to keep the spots from spreading. These look like healthy leaves otherwise, most of my affected leaves are ones that don't get enough sun to look so green (leaves at the bottom and insides of the plant where sunshine doesn't reach).

Claire, when you do remove the affected leaves, make sure you take them out of the garden. Don't toss them on the ground. Place the damaged leaves in a plastic bag and seal it. A baggie will do. It will stop the fungus or mold from spreading.

When I was growing veggies, I also had a rose garden. I used to save the ashes from cigarettes and mix them in the dirt around the roses. It stopped the black spot disease. There was still enough nicotine in the ashes to act as a deterrent to diseases and bugs of the roses.

Then one day I had saved up more than I needed. I sprinkled them around the veggies and mixed it in the dirt. Leaves started to look healthy. I was concerned about the nicotine becoming part of the veggie. So I only did it the one time. But I never did it againi. No need. :angel:

You need to keep all tobacco products away from tomatoes--tobacco and tomatoes (and potatoes, and peppers) are all in the same family, and you can spread disease spores if you have been smoking or handling tobacco.

Back
Top Bottom