Harry's lamb kebabs in onion water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Cobean

Executive Chef
i saw steven raichlen cook a similar dish,"persian kebabs"on primal grill.i was chatting to an iranian friend of mine who has a couple of ethnic food shops & charcoal grill places,just up the road,in bolton & mentioned it to him.he gave me this recipe.
HARRY'S TIP:
save the pulp from the onions/garlic & use it in minced(ground)meat recipes...it gives a whack of flavour without introducing too much moisture.
i used a beautiful piece of welsh lamb neck fillet...as tender as fillet steak,loads of flavour & not that expensive.you could use just about any cut as the marinade tenderises the meat.works with beef,pork & skinless chicken thighs too!!
THE INGREDIENTS..for one.you won't need to adjust the marinade quantities much unless you are cooking a large amount of meat
a)10ozs(250-300grms)lamb cut into cubes
b)3 or 4 large onions peeled & chopped
c)3 or 4 garlic cloves peeled & chopped
d)chillies to taste sliced with seeds
e)2tsps salt...i used sea salt
f)ground black pepper....lots
g)large pinch of saffron or 1tsp turmeric
h)1tsp ground cumin
i)juice of one lemon
j)1tsp ground coriander
THE SAFFRON OR TURMERIC:
before starting on the rest of the prep crush the saffron threads & mix with the lemon juice.if using turmeric just mix with lemon juice
THE ONION WATER:
a)chuck the chopped/peeled onions & garlic in a food processor/blender & blitz til reduced to a fine pulp
b)tip the pulp into a fine sieve over a bowl & work the pulp with a spatula to extract as much of the onion/garlic juice as possible
THE METHOD:
a)put the meat,saffron or turmeric/lemon mix,onion/garlic water & all of the other ingredients in a bowl,mix well & add meat.cover & marinade in fridge for min 4 hrs ideally all day.or,chuck it all in a food bag,seal & massage contents then refrigerate.i prefer food bags as the marinade gets into contact with every part of the meat & it takes up less room in the fridge
b)heat your griddle/grill til smokin' hot & oil bars
c)remove meat from marinade.thread onto skewers.DISCARD MARINADE
d)cook meat....about 2 mins on each of the 4 sides of the cube.i like my lamb pink
e)ENJOY!
i ate it with a pita bread and simple salad drizzled with a yogurt/mint dressing

Attachments

• PERSIAN LAMB KEBABS 001.JPG
    PERSIAN LAMB KEBABS 001.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 878
  • PERSIAN LAMB KEBABS 002.JPG
    PERSIAN LAMB KEBABS 002.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 424
  • PERSIAN LAMB KEBABS 003.JPG
    PERSIAN LAMB KEBABS 003.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 432
  • PERSIAN LAMB KEBABS 004.JPG
    PERSIAN LAMB KEBABS 004.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 428
  • PERSIAN LAMB KEBABS 005.JPG
    PERSIAN LAMB KEBABS 005.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 430
  • PERSIAN LAMB KEBABS 006.JPG
    PERSIAN LAMB KEBABS 006.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 426
  • PERSIAN LAMB KEBABS 007.JPG
    PERSIAN LAMB KEBABS 007.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 417
  • PERSIAN LAMB KEBABS 008.JPG
    PERSIAN LAMB KEBABS 008.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 422
  • PERSIAN LAMB KEBABS 011.JPG
    PERSIAN LAMB KEBABS 011.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 437
Last edited:
I could see tweeking this recipe with some fresh ginger pulsed and squeezed and some pineapple juice. And definitely keep the peppers and onion and garlic too.

I could see tweeking this recipe with some fresh ginger pulsed and squeezed and some pineapple juice. And definitely keep the peppers and onion and garlic too.
give it a whirl whiska....as i say in all my receeps(well most anyway!)your food,you choose...i particularly like the sound of the ginger matey....hmmmmmm:cool:!!

Looks like another winner, Harry!
Thanks!
How's that wing doin'?
hey hoot,good to here from you buddy!the wing is responding well to regular medication of the "bourbon" variety!! it's doing fine thanks mate,having physio twice a week & sawbones reckons i'll be back in business in about 6 weeks:cool:!!
got your internet problem sorted hoot? hope isaac doesn't pass too close or you'll lose them lines again....or am i in the wrong part of the states with that one:ermm:?!

Yep, they got the permanent phone line planted and all is working good. Isaac was a good distance away from us. The folks in the Midwest need some of that rain. Louisiana got hammered pretty good. I hope ever'one down there is safe. Haven't heard of any causalities, but I ain't really watched the news today.There was a spin off storm from it that was forecast to come up the east coast but it ain't showed up yet.
'Course we are plannin' to travel to Va Beach tomorrow, so it will likely rain...
Glad to hear you are recoverin' well.

Yep, they got the permanent phone line planted and all is working good. Isaac was a good distance away from us. The folks in the Midwest need some of that rain. Louisiana got hammered pretty good. I hope ever'one down there is safe. Haven't heard of any causalities, but I ain't really watched the news today.There was a spin off storm from it that was forecast to come up the east coast but it ain't showed up yet.
'Course we are plannin' to travel to Va Beach tomorrow, so it will likely rain...
Glad to hear you are recoverin' well.
thanks hoot.watched the bbc news today & they were interviewing someone in the thick of it.said it wasn't anywhere near as bad as katrina & that isaac is days of storm force wind & rain,whereas katrina was violent but over quick.can't win i guess.looked bad enough from my side of the pond that's all i know.
enjoy the beach & i hope the sun shines mate!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom