Golden Chef Challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
We haven't had one of these in a while. So, I'm putting forth a challenge theme for October.

Mini-Pumpkin, Stuffed Jack-O-Lantern, Golden Chef Challenge. Regular rules.

Anybody up for this challenge? If so, do we need to have all of the courses, or maybe limit it to a main course, desert, and beverage, all pumpkin related.

Let me know.

If we do this, I'm going to use my entry in my cooking instruction blog as well.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

For past Golden Chef Challenges, the rules were:

Make an appetizer, main course, , desert, and beverage, all using the theme ingredient.

All entries will include pictures, recipe, and cooking techniques.

Judging will be done for each category, by popular vote.

The challenge is for fun, and to expand our cooking abilites. We are challenging ourselves to step outside the box and be creative.

All participants, that is, those who cook, and those who judge, are volunteers.

All DC members have the right to vote for their favorite recipes. You don't have to enter anything to be able to vote.

Individuals who enter should not vote for their own food.

The Golden Chef Challenge is supposed to be fun.

The cooking may be serious, as, we are challenging ourselves to be the best we can be; but again, I repeat one last time; The Golden Chef Challenge is supposed to be fun.:mrgreen:

Last edited:
Forgive me, Chief. But I am not sure what you mean by mini-pumpkin, stuffed Jack-o-Lantern and then having different courses.

Can it just be about pumpkin, whether canned or cooking pumpkin (I saw them in my store for the very first time this week and want to try it!).

I think it is very possible to do all the courses with pumpkin, but these contests have been very hard on the cooks (me doing several of them) which was part of the reason they faded out. Could we just say it is a pumpkin contest and come up with our one very creative dish - whatever course?

Just a thought.

Forgive me, Chief. But I am not sure what you mean by mini-pumpkin, stuffed Jack-o-Lantern and then having different courses.

Can it just be about pumpkin, whether canned or cooking pumpkin (I saw them in my store for the very first time this week and want to try it!).

I think it is very possible to do all the courses with pumpkin, but these contests have been very hard on the cooks (me doing several of them) which was part of the reason they faded out. Could we just say it is a pumpkin contest and come up with our one very creative dish - whatever course?

Just a thought.

That works for me. I still like the idea of creating an edible jack-o-lantern. But then again, that might just be my entry, with others entering whatever pumpkin recipe they like. It's all good.

And I agree with you. I enjoyed the challenge of making multiple courses from a theme ingredient. I mean, how many of us would have every thought of using mushrooms in a desert befor the mushroom challenge? And yet, we were introduced to the candy-cap mushroom, and wonderful candy-cap ice cream, and candy-cap sweet rolls.

But mulitple courses can be both time consuming, and expensive.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Lognwind of teh North

Last edited:
Oh, okay, I now understand what you meant - to make a Jack-o-lantern out of other food. A specific idea of course comes to my mind, but that is probably too easy ;)

Why not two entries? An Edible Jack-O-Lantern and a recipe using pumpkin. Would that work? Would people have to do both or could they choose one or the other or both?

Oh, okay, I now understand what you meant - to make a Jack-o-lantern out of other food. A specific idea of course comes to my mind, but that is probably too easy ;)

Why not two entries? An Edible Jack-O-Lantern and a recipe using pumpkin. Would that work? Would people have to do both or could they choose one or the other or both?

That, my dear LP, is up to DC. I'm just trying to determine what everyone wants to do.

Ok, so here's what I see so far as possible ideas for the challenge:

Make a jack-o-lantern out of food, any kind of food you want.

Make an edible pumpkin-based jack-o-lantern as a main course

Make a pumpkin based food challenge, any recipe you want

Make a pumkin themed challenge with apetizer, main course, beverage, and desert

Other ideas are possible.

That, my dear LP, is up to DC. I'm just trying to determine what everyone wants to do.

Ok, so here's what I see so far as possible ideas for the challenge:

Make a pumpkin themed challenge with appetizer, main course, beverage, and desert

This one gets my vote!!

I don't know if I could do multiple courses. There's only the two of us. We never have appetizers, and neither of us are dessert eaters.

Therefore, my vote would be for "Make a pumpkin based food challenge, any recipe you want".

I don't know if I could do multiple courses. There's only the two of us. We never have appetizers, and neither of us are dessert eaters.

Therefore, my vote would be for "Make a pumpkin based food challenge, any recipe you want".

Steve;

This could be a chance to serve up a special meal for you, and your special partner; a light pumpkin soup for the appetizer, with stuffed pumpkin for the main course, Pumpkin juice makes for a great hot drink, when flavored with the right spices, and sweetened lightly, and maybe pumpkin cookies for desert, with just one served, and the rest saved for later, or a pumpkin granita.

These are the kinds of things you can make for just the two of you, and not break the bank.

However, if you like the idea of one course, any recipe, that's just fine as well. I'm just offering ideas here.

All suggestions are valid.:)

I'm not a big fan of pumpkin and don't know if the pumpkins in the pumpkin patch will be ready--depends on the date. I haven't seen a date suggested. I would maybe make one dish--I can't see doing the appy, meal, dessert, and beverage with pumpkin in it. I definitely will not go out and buy pumpkin.

Chief,
There have only been a few replies here but they have given me some ideas.

These contests have been daunting to many members in the past because they seemed so "exclude" (not purposely by any means) those like Steve and CWS who either don't eat pumpkin a lot, don't eat appies/dessert, etc. or find doing a whole meal just overwhelming for where they are as a cook. Also, as CWS mentioned timing is crucial in some cases as well.

You and I would jump head first into this without a second thought and come up with the whole shebang! And I know there are a few others what would (or would want to if lives haven't gotten too hectic. Others would love to just do part of it.

So, why don't we have categories and you can enter as many or as few as you want. Judging for the category will just be for the people who entered that one. We could have a mod/admin open a thread for each category so all entries go in there to avoid confusion. Polls will be set up separately too.

I am thinking:
1. Edible Jack-o-Lantern made of other food.
2. Appetizer/beverage (make on or the other)
3. Entree - either in a pumpkin or starring pumpkin
4. Dessert

Any comments from anyone?

Chief,

These contests have been daunting to many members in the past because they seemed so "exclude" (not purposely by any means) those like Steve and CWS who either don't eat pumpkin a lot, don't eat appies/dessert, etc. or find doing a whole meal just overwhelming for where they are as a cook. Also, as CWS mentioned timing is crucial in some cases as well.

You and I would jump head first into this without a second thought and come up with the whole shebang! And I know there are a few others what would (or would want to if lives haven't gotten too hectic. Others would love to just do part of it.

So, why don't we have categories and you can enter as many or as few as you want. Judging for the category will just be for the people who entered that one. We could have a mod/admin open a thread for each category so all entries go in there to avoid confusion. Polls will be set up separately too.

I am thinking:
4. Dessert

I like that idea. My other thought is why not include winter squash? I prefer winter squash and many dishes that are made with pumpkin, well, one can substitute winter squash and vice versa. I could get a lot more excited if it were winter squash or pumpkin.

Chief,

I am thinking:
4. Dessert

I like that idea. My other thought is why not include winter squash? I prefer winter squash and many dishes that are made with pumpkin, well, one can substitute winter squash and vice versa. I could get a lot more excited if it were winter squash or pumpkin.
I agree. :cool:

Chief,

I am thinking:
4. Dessert

Anyone ever tell you that you are a genius? Well, I'm officially declaring it to the world, right here, right now. This is a great idea. Also, CWS, i don't see why we can't use winter squash. This doesn't have to be so rigid. The point isn't to have a challenge that excludes people, but to create a challenge that's open to as many people as possible. That way, we all learn something new, and have the opportunity to showcase our ideas, and try things we may not have thought of before.

I think I've said this before. In fact, I know I've said this before. DC is a great place.

What started as a daunting challenge, way back in the day, is evolving into something that is much more than what it started out to be. Originally, it was a friendly competition. Now, it is what I always wanted it to be, a way for each of us to challenge ourselves.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

So far all I've seen are pumpkins that are way too big for me. I quit making Jack-o-Lanterns since the kids in the apt building like to kick them apart. I'll take a look at some of the winter squash and see if there is something I can use.

Otherwise, it'll have to be canned pumpkin. Thinking cap on and planning.

I am thinking:
4. Dessert

This sounds great. I would be in for one or two of these categories.

I found a baby pumpkin, a delicata, an orange kambocha, and two others. They are all small, now I have to decide what I am doing with them. I'm in.

Ok then, I believe we are using LP's rules. So we will still have all of the original categories. But, you can enter as many of the categories as you want. If you want to enter just a desert, that's Ok. If you want to create the perfect beverage, and nothing more, go for it. This should be fun.

I'd like to offer a new category, in the spirit of Halloween, I would like to see an edible Halloween decoration. It could be a Dracula cake, or a jack-o-lantern, or anything you want, as long as it has winter squash, or pumpkin in it somehow. What say you all? Is this a good category?

Now we just have to agree on a date.

Ok then, I believe we are using LP's rules. So we will still have all of the original categories. But, you can enter as many of the categories as you want. If you want to enter just a desert, that's Ok. If you want to create the perfect beverage, and nothing more, go for it. This should be fun.

I'd like to offer a new category, in the spirit of Halloween, I would like to see an edible Halloween decoration. It could be a Dracula cake, or a jack-o-lantern, or anything you want, as long as it has winter squash, or pumpkin in it somehow. What say you all? Is this a good category?

Now we just have to agree on a date.

Actually, Chief, that is what I meant in my first category:

2. Appetizer/beverage (make one or the other)
4. Dessert

But we can change it to "Edible Jack-o-Lantern or other Halloween decoration"

Also, I had Appetizer and drink together, but they can be separated.

Finally, I think we are going for pumpkin or other winter squash.

Do you have dates in mind?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom