ISO Fresh Cucumber Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I'm looking for soething other than pickle recipes for cuckes from my garden. Prefferably, the recipes should allow me to freeze, or can the cucumbers.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I do a Swedish cuke salad:

Thinly sliced cukes (the thinner, the better)
Thinly sliced onions (the thinner, the better)

Layer the cukes and onion

1:2 sugar to vinegar (you can adjust this to be 1:3)
fresh dill (lots)
S&P (more salt than you'd think--I use Kosher)

You could freeze this, but it is always gone before we think of that. It keeps 2-3 days in the fridge.

When I peel cukes, I peel them in strips. Leave a strip of the skin inbetween the peeled area. Then run a fork down the whole length of the cuke all around. When sliced, it looks so pretty. When I make a potato salad for a function, I do this and place the thin slices of cukes around the bottom and make a ring of them around the tomato rose on top. It makes for a great presentation. :angel:

In other countries, cucumbers are cooked--Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking has at least one way to prepare cooked cucumbers...I think her recipe is for baked. Some people eat them fried like fried green tomatoes...
Make tatziki (sp). Here's a site that has some interesting sounding recipes:

Cucumber Recipes - Recipes Using Cucumbers

Or:

Cooked Cucumber Recipes | Yummly

i'm not sure freezing a cucumber dish will work. Might form ice crystals because there is so much water in them.,. Hope someone can come up with an opinion on this.

i'm not sure freezing a cucumber dish will work. Might form ice crystals because there is so much water in them.,. Hope someone can come up with an opinion on this.
I make freezer pickles all the time. I like them and haven't noticed ice crystals being a problem.

I do a Swedish cuke salad:

Thinly sliced cukes (the thinner, the better)
Thinly sliced onions (the thinner, the better)

Layer the cukes and onion

1:2 sugar to vinegar (you can adjust this to be 1:3)
fresh dill (lots)
S&P (more salt than you'd think--I use Kosher)

You could freeze this, but it is always gone before we think of that. It keeps 2-3 days in the fridge.
I do a very slightly different Danish cucumber salad and it lasts for weeks in the fridge (Stirling doesn't like cucumber). It can be canned.

I'm looking for soething other than pickle recipes for cuckes from my garden. Prefferably, the recipes should allow me to freeze, or can the cucumbers.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Freezing might make them limp & watery. You might try sliciing them in half lengthwise, & removing the seeds first.

How about (jarred) Gazpacho?

Canning Recipes - Ball® Canning and Preserving Recipes

Maybe cucumber soup, but add any dairy (milk, yogurt, sour cream) after the soup is defrosted.

I make cucumber lemonade ice lollies for my kids. Juice the whole cucumbers and mix with an equal amount of homemade lemonade. Freeze and enjoy! They also taste great when made with apple juice instead of the lemonade.

I wanted to make the Thai recipe, but when I went to the health food store today, they were out of cucumbers. :(

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom