How can I clean my pressure cooker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gentleinmyarts

Assistant Cook
The pressure cooker is made of aluminium.
In the manual it says to clean it with vinegar... that's it.. no more information on how to clean it other than that.

What I've tried is drenching a scrubbing thing in vinegar and scrubbing in the pressure cooker (PC) but didn't work then I poured half the bottle of vinegar into the pressure cooker and filled it with hot water to cover the discolored part of pressure cooker (about 3 inches or less).. Waited an hour because it was too hot to put hand in.. then I scrubbed again but without any effect.

This is what the PC looks like:
28gxef7.jpg

I am not sure if the spots are calcium deposits or pitting either.
That's main reason I want to clean the PC so no explosion happens.. if it's pitting.

Any advice on how I can clean it?
Or if you know if that's pitting or not?

If it's not pitting is it ok to use the PC even though it looks like that?

The PC became like that because I left water in the PC for I don't know how many days, possibly a week... maybe even slightly longer than that.

But I never used the PC so far, never heated it.

My mom had an aluminum one years ago. She just washed it in the sink of dishwater, like everything else. It lasted her at least 20 years, probably more.

I agree.............save for a new one............Aluminium is now a no-no----save for a stainless steel one

But why is aluminium so bad?
I can't even find any SS PC's in the size that I want.
That can regulate at 15 psi all american pressure cooker.

I mean, aluminium obviously works..
LOTS of people are using the aluminium ones to great success.

Does anyone know if that's pitting or calcium deposits?

Or if the image is not enough to tell, How can I inspect it in real life by myself?
It's too hard to see with my eyes or feel with my hands if it's an inward crater or outward bump.

Really would appreciate help.. I am definitly am not buying a new one unless this one is ruined and too dangerous to use again.
It costs A LOT of money.. close to $650 including shipping costs.
And if it's really true that aluminium is history then it must cost uopwards $1,500 dollar to buy one of those stainless steel ones?

Last edited:
The spots you see are probably deposits from the water that sat in the pot for so long. There is no harm in gently scouring it with Barkeepers Friend or a light scouring pad to remove the spots and discoloration.

Do you use it as a canner or a pressure cooker?

The spots you see are probably deposits from the water that sat in the pot for so long. There is no harm in gently scouring it with Barkeepers Friend or a light scouring pad to remove the spots and discoloration.

Do you use it as a canner or a pressure cooker?

I think as a canner :)

I put the lid on and only 2-3 inches of water so that it creates steam and the regulator vents out steam so it keeps at 15 psi inside.

scouring pad is what i've been using to no success so far when I said "the scrubbing thing" :LOL:

I've never heard of barkeepers friend, I can't get any hits when I search for that in my country.

I just assumed that I must be cleaning it the wrong way with the vinegar and scouring pad since the manual says that's what you clean it with.

Do you think I would be fine using the PC even though it has these calcium deposits?
I think the discolor shouldn't be a problem at least.

Appreciate the help, thanks :)

I think as a canner :)...

What do you mean "I think..." After putting water in it and generating steam, what do you do? What do you put in the pot?

IF you have access to other scouring powders for cleaning kitchen utensils, they will do the job a well. American brands are Comet, Bon Ami, Ajax.

What do you mean "I think..." After putting water in it and generating steam, what do you do? What do you put in the pot?

IF you have access to other scouring powders for cleaning kitchen utensils, they will do the job a well. American brands are Comet, Bon Ami, Ajax.

Glass jars containing food is what I put inside :)

I'll try some standard regular cleaning utensils then, thanks for the advice.
Wasn't sure if there's utensils that can harm the alumium or not.

Also, Just in case I can't get it clean..
Would it be okay to use the pressure cooker even though it has what is most likely calcium deposits?
Even if this would be in the slim chance pitting..
I don't think the pitting is large enough to be harmful?

Since you're using it as a pressure canner, you can go ahead and keep using it. Clean it if you have to but it will work fine as is. The deposits and discoloration will not effect the food in the jars.

I don't think pitting is an issue.

There is no need to switch to stainless steel.

Last edited:
Well, the original message said that the owner's manual recommended vinegar, and this is just a scrub anyway, not meant to be left on there so, no, I don't think it would do any harm. The salt is just for abrasion. Obviously you can use salt in an aluminum pressure cooker or else how could you cook anything worth eating? So, no, I don't see any harm there either.

My steam canner looks like that. I agree with Andy, your PC is fine, and there is no need to replace it. The deposits are cosmetic. If you're canning jars, it won't hurt anything. Vinegar and baking soda may work if you're still concerned, I've resurrected several old aluminum pans by boiling a mixture of that in them.

Last edited:
Don't worry about it a bit. When you begin canning, use a cup of vinegar in the water that you put in the bottom of the canner.

The discoloration and the little spots are not dangerous, just unattractive. The vinegar in the canning water will probably get rid of both, and will keep your jars sparkly, with no calcium deposits to wipe off.

Signed, the lady who has been using aluminum pressure cookers for 40 years. I started when I was 2. :)

Just wondering what kind of pressure cooker costs so much money? Is this a commercial cooker? I have been using an aluminum 15Lb. pressure cooker ($69) for cooking family meals for 30+ years. I have never done any canning so pardon me if I am uninformed on the subject of co$t of your cooker. ps. I clean mine with liquid dish soap and an abrasive scrubber but have never seen marks like those on mine.

Just wondering what kind of pressure cooker costs so much money? Is this a commercial cooker? I have been using an aluminum 15Lb. pressure cooker ($69) for cooking family meals for 30+ years. I have never done any canning so pardon me if I am uninformed on the subject of co$t of your cooker. ps. I clean mine with liquid dish soap and an abrasive scrubber but have never seen marks like those on mine.

But I'll bet your $69 family pressure cooker isn't the same as a 30-quart pressure canner.

oh no. As I stated I have never done any canning. I just make dinner in mine. Mostly lesser cuts of beef w/veges. I must have missed the part about it being a giant 30qt. pressure canner. Size matters. I suppose that explains the cost. Thanks. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom