Pork Steaks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
How do you cook them? With what, how and why?

They are about 2" thick. The other is slightly larger. Kind of hard to tell because of the vacuum sealing. Could be a thicker piece.
Both have the bone in them. Some of the fat cap has been left on to.

One weighs 2 Lb's 10 3/4 oz
The other weighs 3 Lb's 1 1/8 oz. Big Bubba's eh'?

Why does Pork always give me trouble? :pig:

Thank you

Munky.

I believe the pork steaks are cut from the butt or picnic. They will have more connective tissue and fat than any of the loin chop cuts. Consider browning and braising them in mushroom gravy or BBQ sauce.

I like to season and brown with sliced onion and garlic in a small amount of oil. Then simmer in veggie stock or water until tender, and most of the liquid has evaporated. Sometimes I add mushrooms near the end of simmering and sometimes I let the steaks brown again and then make a gravy from the fond left in the pan and serve with fluffy white rice.

What is sold as pork steaks almost always have more bone and fat on them than what is sold as a chop. At the thickness you're talking about, I'd sort of treat them as you would chucks in beef. Long and slow. I usually buy them at very low prices, but much more thin, and I buy for myself because I miss the flavor of the pork I ate as a child. My husband is one of those to surgically removes every inch of fat, bone or sinew from meat.

I agree with Andy, they are great in low, slow cooking. I use them in my green chili stew and, as said, "barbecue" preparations.

What is sold as pork steaks almost always have more bone and fat on them than what is sold as a chop. At the thickness you're talking about, I'd sort of treat them as you would chucks in beef. Long and slow. I usually buy them at very low prices, but much more thin, and I buy for myself because I miss the flavor of the pork I ate as a child. My husband is one of those to surgically removes every inch of fat, bone or sinew from meat.

I agree with Andy, they are great in low, slow cooking. I use them in my green chili stew and, as said, "barbecue" preparations.
My husband does that too, even after I thought I removed all of it. :wacko:

My husband does that too, even after I thought I removed all of it. :wacko:

Mine has gotten somewhat better (after 30 plus years), but the ultimate was when my brother-in-law actually sat down and surgically removed every bit of fat from the bacon that I'd fried for Easter brunch. Then he put the fat on the counter and let his dog jump up and eat it, and only ate the lean. Guess you know I never fried bacon for him again.

Mine has gotten somewhat better (after 30 plus years), but the ultimate was when my brother-in-law actually sat down and surgically removed every bit of fat from the bacon that I'd fried for Easter brunch. Then he put the fat on the counter and let his dog jump up and eat it, and only ate the lean. Guess you know I never fried bacon for him again.
Cut the fat off bacon?? That's just wrong. Also wrong to let his dog eat off of your counter.

Cut the fat off bacon?? That's just wrong. Also wrong to let his dog eat off of your counter.

My daughter used to cut the fat off streaky bacon!?
Until I said she should rather not eat it at all, now she eats it :LOL:
I'm such a cruel mother but how can anyone waste bacon fat :angel:

Yeah, I was afraid to say anything because my mother was there and she thinks I'm over-critical of my brothers-in-law. When she saw that, the bacon destroyed and the dog eating off my kitchen counter, believe me, she raised holy hell and I didn't have to! Yay!

My daughter used to cut the fat off streaky bacon!?
Until I said she should rather not eat it at all, now she eats it :LOL:
I'm such a cruel mother but how can anyone waste bacon fat :angel:

I'm one of those people who saves bacon fat in a jar for other cooking purposes! My sisters all compete for "world's meanest mom". I think for the next get-together I'll have buttons made up for them and my own mother. Meanest meaning that they actually have expectations and discipline, when so many parents these days do not!

I'm one of those people who saves bacon fat in a jar for other cooking purposes! My sisters all compete for "world's meanest mom". I think for the next get-together I'll have buttons made up for them and my own mother. Meanest meaning that they actually have expectations and discipline, when so many parents these days do not!

:ROFLMAO:

I have the World's Meanest Mom...Thanks, Mom!:)

You can sign me up for The Meanest Mom Button to. When my kids were younger they actually called me the Warden! :LOL: I had rules, stuck to them. If you can't. GO TO YOUR ROOM!:ROFLMAO:

But anywoo... I'm taking by the responses that the steak should be seasoned and braised with onions.

Is it safe to add it to the crock pot after all that? How will I know when it's done? Are we talking pulled pork type of thing?

If I didn't already have a million things that I'm already late getting started on I'd do my homework.

Thank you all for the help. It's much appreciated.

Munky.

Turned Out Good.

Took forever to cook that monster. Well worth the wait though.

I made a Cajun rub. Broke out the really expensive Olive Oil. Lined the bottom of the crock pot with sliced onions, fresh whole garlic cloves. Rubbed the oil and spices all over it. Cooked it alone like that for a few hours. Added 2 cups of chicken broth. Made a cornstarch slurry added it in.
Let it cook until it hit 160 degrees.
Shredded it, removing the fat. Put it back in. Served it over rice.

Thank you all for the help.

Munky.

Back
Top Bottom