Look what I just bought!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Somebunny

Executive Chef
Got a great deal on this Lodge enameled cast iron Dutch Oven! I was really excited about getting it, but DH says I will be sorry, that I won't like it because everything will stick and it will be hard to clean. Any thoughts?

image-795437071.jpg

I love my Lodge enameled ware!

I was able to get mine on clearance a few years ago when Walmart changed the brand they carried.

Whoo Hoo.......you're gonna love it Bunny! I love my enameled cast iron. I've never had anything stick and it's a dream to clean. I hardly ever use my crock pot anymore because I love cooking on top of the stove with my Dutch Oven the old fashioned way. I like to season as I cook, stir and taste, stir and taste......love that part the best.
Mine is also that pretty red color. I keep it on top of the fridge because it looks so nice up there.

So whatcha gonna make first?

Last edited:
First thank you to the mod who fixed my title :) probably you PF ;-)

Kay, I think the first thing I will cook in it will be my chili for the annual cook-off coming up at my office on Wednesday. I rarely use a crock pot except to keep something warm. This Dutch Oven will replace the cast aluminum DO that I have been using for years (which has probably been frying our brain cells for that long)

PS. I knew DH was going to be wrong :). I don't know where he gets his info.

Last edited:
I love mine for both stove top and oven braising.

I like serving soup from it at the table, it's casual but still has some style, beyond just putting a pot on the table. Being cast iron, it helps keep things warm. I have a short and wide one that I serve casseroles from.

I have a Le Creuset that's almost identical. No problems at all with food sticking. I just wouldn't recommend using it for any heavy frying. For instance, if you're going to use it for something like beef stew where you use high heat to sear the meat first, I recommend doing that in a regular saute pan and then transferring the meat to the DO. It just makes things easier. Light frying (sauteing mirepoix, onions, etc.) is not a problem, though.

I've had mine for about 15 years and it still looks like new.

Last edited:
...For instance, if you're going to use it for something like beef stew where you use high heat to sear the meat first, I recommend doing that in a regular saute pan and then transferring the meat to the DO...

I disagree, Steve, when I make pot roast or chili I sear the meat in my LeCrueset then carry on by adding the liquids and other ingredients to braise. The braising process lifts all the fond and dissolves it into the liquid.

It's easy enough to deglaze the pan.

I have a Le Creuset that's almost identical. No problems at all with food sticking. I just wouldn't recommend using it for any heavy frying. For instance, if you're going to use it for something like beef stew where you use high heat to sear the meat first, I recommend doing that in a regular saute pan and then transferring the meat to the DO. It just makes things easier. Light frying (sauteing mirepoix, onions, etc.) is not a problem, though.

I've had mine for about 15 years and it still looks like new.
+1
We sear in black cast iron then cook in a Cousances enameled cast iron 'French' oven. I'm leery of the differential between the expansion rates of the enamel and cast iron at screaming hot temps. I think the enameled oven cost us some $130 over 30 years ago.

Last edited:
I disagree, Steve, when I make pot roast or chili I sear the meat in my LeCrueset then carry on by adding the liquids and other ingredients to braise. The braising process lifts all the fond and dissolves it into the liquid.

It's easy enough to deglaze the pan.

I agree with Andy. Steve, how do you find it's easier to use two pans?

I've always seared meat on high heat in mine, and have never had any problems. In addition I have an enameled CI skillet that I use exclusively for very high heat searing.

Last edited:
You will love it. I brown stew meat in mine all the time. As in all browning, I don't crowd the bottom of the vessel while browning. And this is one cast iron that goes into the dishwasher. Or it does at my house.

Searing meat will not stick unless you commit the classic error of messing with the meat before it naturally releases. Like any cookware, you can burn such as beans onto the bottom if you get it wrong. But a very similar Dutch oven is my standard for braising.

Thanks for all the good input dear friends! I can't wait to use this DO! What are your favorite things to cook in yours (or similar)? :)

Last thing I made in mine was Braised Chipotle Pork!

2- to 3-lb pork shoulder (port butt) roast
Flour for dredging
white onion, sliced into thin half-moons
3 cloves minced garlic
1 t chili powder
2 t cumin
chipotles in adobo, start w/ a scant 1T (add more depending on how much heat you want)
1 c salsa verde
1 c chicken stock

Preheat oven to 250.

Remove the visible layer of fat and cut the pork into manageable chunks. Dredge in flour. Let your pan get toasty warm over med-high-ish heat. Give them a healthy sear, turning to get each side uniformly colored to a nice rich brown.

Pour the stock into the pan to de-glaze. Add the rest of the ingredient, give them a swirl to mix. Cover the pan and cook for about 4 hours. Uncover and cook a couple more, until the meat is easily shredded.

This is great served over mashed potatoes or creamy polenta. Leftover meat is outstanding in tacos & burritos.

My enamel coated cast iron dutch oven is my favorite thing in my kitchen. I've had it about 10 years now and use it several times a week. I sear in it all the time and never had a problem. If the enamel discolors slightly, just use a Mr. Magic Eraser and it takes it right off. I have also used Bar Keeper a couple of times with good results. If something sticks, just deglaze the pan, super easy to clean. The best item I have ever bought for my kitchen.

Man, you all must have a secret. I am on my third enamel coated cast iron dutch oven. :(

I love them and I use them more then any other of my pots but I guess I am a hard user. My first got ruined because I used too high a heat and burned stuff in it, my second got a chip/crack in the enamel on the bottom of the pot and it started bubbling. I have no idea how I did that. This current one will not be used except for long and low cooking and I will soak overnight before I start scrubbing away at it. I will also pet it and talk to it and make sure it knows it is important and special. :ROFLMAO:

Somebunny said:
I used my new DO to make my chili for the cook-off at work. I loved it! Btw I WON!

Way to go, SB!! :flowers: :clap: :flowers:

Now you need to share the winning recipe!

Back
Top Bottom