Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls in a CP?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmyap

Sous Chef
I'm playing with an idea and I would love any input anyone may have.

I love stuffed cabbage but I'm too lazy to do it the proper way. :rolleyes:

I am thinking about an unstuffed cabbage roll recipe for CP. Here's what I'm thinking layer CP with some chopped, raw cabbage, next layer sliced onion, then gr. beef or maybe slivered cube steak. then another layer of cabbage. Next top that with a can or so of diced tomato's, tomato juice and maybe some beef stock. Top with some crumbled ginger snaps.

Does anyone do anything similar? What do you think?

Two thoughts:

If you use whole cabbage leaves or large pieces of leaf, you could layer it like a lasagna. The whole leaves would keep things together for serving. IF...

...you made in a baking dish like a 13x9 pan and covered it with foil and baked it in the oven.

I know it's not exactly what you asked, but it's a thought.

I have always had it filled with a mix of ground pork/veal/rice and nothing as tough as cube steak. I bet the layer thing would be good if you dont mind the filling getting the tomato sauce flavor.I think the rolls keep the filling from getting too much liquid and falling apart while slow cooking.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'm going to have to think about it some more and look at some of my stash of cook books. BTW, the gingersnaps crumbled on top is to replicate the brown suger and spices added to the tomato sauce that many cabbage roll recipe's have. I forgot where I heard of that trick. It may well be way too sweet.

cp = crock pot

I've had cabbage rolls deconstructed into a soup, it was fabulous.

I'd just shred the cabbage mix it will all of the other ingredients (casserole style) and let it cook that way in the crockpot or covered up in the oven.

Two thoughts:

If you use whole cabbage leaves or large pieces of leaf, you could layer it like a lasagna. The whole leaves would keep things together for serving. IF...

...you made in a baking dish like a 13x9 pan and covered it with foil and baked it in the oven.

I know it's not exactly what you asked, but it's a thought.

I like both thoughts Andy. I was thinking the first one also. I am assuming the OP wants to use the CP while they are at work. If this is not the case, then your second idea would be much better and closer to the true taste of cabbage rolls. You may have just created a new dish. Andy's Unrolled Cabbage Rolls. :angel:

I make what my family calls "Lazy Golumpki" but not in a crock pot, it is finished in the oven. Here is the "recipe" if you want to try it in the CP.

Diced onion
bacon fat (or oil)
ground beef (or any ground meat mixture)
cooked white rice
stewed tomatoes
salt and pepper

Cook the ground beef until done, drain and set aside.

Par-boil the rice, drain and set aside (you want it only partially cooked since it will cook more in the assembled dish.)

In a LARGE skillet, heat the oil and saute the onion then add the shredded cabbage, salt and pepper and cook until the cabbage begins to soften.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Mix the cabbage, rice, ground beef and stewed tomatoes together. Taste and season as needed. Put the mixture in a LARGE casserole or baking dish, cover and bake for 45 - 60 minutes.

This is my Gram's recipe and she "cooks by site" and that's how I learned to make this dish so I can't really give amounts. It also depends on how large the head of cabbage is and whether you are more of a filling person or cabbage person. :)

One year I had gotten a huge cabbage from my dad, it weighed 13 lbs. He makes his own saurkraut. I brought it inside and was going to make Pigs (Golumpkis) to go to our Xmas Eve family gathering abought 50-70 people. Set it on the table, started preparing the filling and waiting for the pot to boil water for the cabbabage I heard a noise. Turned around and my cabbage split, so I couldn't use the whole leaves. I thought now what, so I thought I'll make it like lasagna and call it polish lasgana. I soften the parts of the cabbabge in the hot water( like normal) and then just did a layer of cababge then a layer of meat&rice mixture then cabbabge and so on. Then poured tomato sauce over the top along with some bacon strips on top . I also mixed a lil tomato sauce in with the meat mixture not alot, just to moisten it a little. Covered it tight and then took off the cover to brown the top alittle, bake as you would regular lasanga - I made a huge roasting pan of it and came home with none. I have since made it this way several times.

I make what my family calls "Lazy Golumpki" but not in a crock pot, it is finished in the oven. Here is the "recipe" if you want to try it in the CP.

Diced onion
bacon fat (or oil)
cooked white rice
stewed tomatoes
salt and pepper

Par-boil the rice, drain and set aside (you want it only partially cooked since it will cook more in the assembled dish.)

In a LARGE skillet, heat the oil and saute the onion then add the shredded cabbage, salt and pepper and cook until the cabbage begins to soften.

Mix the cabbage, rice, ground beef and stewed tomatoes together. Taste and season as needed. Put the mixture in a LARGE casserole or baking dish, cover and bake for 45 - 60 minutes.

This is my Gram's recipe and she "cooks by site" and that's how I learned to make this dish so I can't really give amounts. It also depends on how large the head of cabbage is and whether you are more of a filling person or cabbage person. :)

Dave, I know what you mean when you say, "cooking by sight." That is how my mother did it and that is how I learned. To this day I can stick my hand in the oven and know if it is ready or not. I never measure out the salt. It goes into the palm of my hand. :angel:

Diced onion
bacon fat (or oil)
cooked white rice
stewed tomatoes
salt and pepper

In a LARGE skillet, heat the oil and saute the onion then add the shredded cabbage, salt and pepper and cook until thThanks Dave, I'm more of a cabbage perde cabbage begins to soften.

Hi Dave,
I'm more of a cabbage person DH will jump on this filling. So I'm cut it back a little and both of us will smile after we eat dinner. Thanks
kades...ma

cp = crock pot

I've had cabbage rolls deconstructed into a soup, it was fabulous.

I'd just shred the cabbage mix it will all of the other ingredients (casserole style) and let it cook that way in the crockpot or covered up in the oven.

Bingo! That would work. Forget about the layering and just treat it like a soup/stew. Spooned over some rice that would be great! I think I will forgo the gingersnaps and stuck with the traditional spice blend. We'll crumble the gingersnaps over vanilla ice cream as God intended. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks much.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom