Simple Peppered Cabbage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Maloney

Senior Cook
simple PEPPERED CABBAGE

1/2 head Cabbage (any) chopped large
3 Tblsp. Butter
Salt to Taste
Fresh Ground Black Pepper to Taste
3 - 4 Tblsp. SourCream

Heat the Butter in a Dutch Oven or large skillet w/Lid (or use foiL)
ADD the Cabbage.
Salt & Pepper to Taste (a little extra pepper is good in this, but don't over-do)
COVER & Heat, once the butter is melted, toss it up a little to combine.
SIMMER VERY LOW for 20 - 30 minutes, stir occasionally, until Cabbage is Tender.
STIR-IN the Sour Cream.
eat. smile:)

Last edited:
why thank you, cm! this looks easy and so yum! you guys know by now, how i do love my cabbage... and an easy- peasy recipe turns my burners on every time....

why thank you, cm! this looks easy and so yum! you guys know by now, how i do love my cabbage... and an easy- peasy recipe turns my burners on every time....

Me too..love cabbage with butter...this sounds nice with the sour cream :yum:

This is a recipe I came across years ago in a restaurant in San Francisco. I asked the cook about it and he told me. We like it and it's so easy I make it often. You can use white pepper too for a milder flavor :yum:

simple PEPPERED CABBAGE

1/2 head Cabbage (any) chopped large
3 Tblsp. Butter
Salt to Taste
Fresh Ground Black Pepper to Taste
3 - 4 Tblsp. SourCream

Heat the Butter in a Dutch Oven or large skillet w/Lid (or use foiL)
ADD the Cabbage.
Salt & Pepper to Taste (a little extra pepper is good in this, but don't over-do)
COVER & Heat, once the butter is melted, toss it up a little to combine.
SIMMER VERY LOW for 20 - 30 minutes, stir occasionally, until Cabbage is Tender.
STIR-IN the Sour Cream.
eat. smile:)

simmering very low-slow, will the cabbage soften without caramelizing as it sautes (slowly) in butter? are we going for soft or browned cabbage? i/ve never had my cabbage with sour cream before, should be good that way, though.:)

and i'm with jaques pepin--i like black pepper better than white pepper, regardless of the color or nature of the food being prepared.

Last edited:
We cook our cabbage this way all the time .. but have never put in sour cream ... sounds so yummy !

Sometimes he likes it browned a bit so I get to "burn" his food from time to time :)

It is such a nice idea the sour cream...after all these years of cooking cabbage, had never thought of it...must be a restaurant thing ;)

Back
Top Bottom