Sugar pie pumpkin & pork belly/chicken thighs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

studentcook

Assistant Cook
Hello! I have a very almost rotten sugar pie pumpkin, three chicken breasts, and two slices of pork belly. Besides that I guess I have "regular" spices and some eggs...

Any ideas?

Cook and mash the pumpkin if it's still edible. and make pumpkin pancakes. Grill the pork belly with a rub of salt, pepper, sugar and paprika till crispy. Maybe fry an egg or two and you'll have breakfast for dinner with a twist.

What other basics do you have? Do you have bread or cheese? Give me a clue of what I'm working with here lol! I can make a whole lot out of very little but I need to know exactly what you have.

I have made a list of every single thing that I have: (i think...)

fridge:
eggs, spoiled milk, smart balance butter, “regular” butter, mayonnaise, mustard, quinoa, honey, red pepper paste 고초장, orange 1, apple 1, anchovy seasoning 멸치 다시다, grey poupon sauce, 357 magnum hot sauce (very hot), ketchup, grape jelly, pure maple syrup, sugar pie pumpkin, ginger

freezer:
eel, cheese 8 slices, bile, beef tongue, tripe, Philippine beetles, whole tilapia 1

laying on counter:
banana 2, sweet onion 1, beef lard (oil), red wine ‘menage a trois’, organic sugar

cabinet:
baking powder, cornstarch, oats, onion powder, polenta, red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, sesame oil, canned sardines, pine nuts, chicken broth, salsa, tomato sauce 2 cans, garbanzo beans 1 can, coconut milk 1 can, bbq sauce, self rising cornmeal mix, white whole wheat flour, corn masa flour, pure can sugar dark brown (brown sugar), blue corn meal, bourbon, dry gin, chili 15 bean soup dry beans, shrimp bouillon cubes, beef bouillon cubes, chicken bouillon cubes, extra virgin olive oil, course ground malabar black pepper, light corn syrup, pepper supreme (mix of 4 peppers), garlic powder, garlic salt, garam masala, grill mates 5 fiery pepper seasoning, ginisang bagoong, hawaiian kiawe smoke sea salt, gourmet garlic sea salt,

ground ginger, ground red pepper (cayenne pepper), ground turmeric, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground cumin, ground coriander, ground mustard, seasoning salt, thyme, rosemary, whole black peppercorns, whole roasted sesame seeds, steak seasoning, dried red peppers, pure vanilla extract, seasoned salt, sage powder, chili powder, grill mates spicy Montreal steak seasoning, paprika, dill weed, cloves powder, basil leaves, oregano leaves, bay leaves, curry powder, soy sauce, fish sauce, teriyaki souce, white vinegar, liquid aminos braggs, red pepper powder

There you go! :)

I won't ask about the beetles in your freezer but I will ask about the BILE -- why?

At any rate, I'd suggest marinating the chicken in some gogujang, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger, sesame oil and cider vinegar. Grill or stir fry.

I have made a list of every single thing that I have: (i think...)

fridge:
eggs, spoiled milk, smart balance butter, “regular” butter, mayonnaise, mustard, quinoa, honey, red pepper paste 고초장, orange 1, apple 1, anchovy seasoning 멸치다시다, grey poupon sauce, 357 magnum hot sauce (very hot), ketchup, grape jelly, pure maple syrup, sugar pie pumpkin, ginger

freezer:
eel, cheese 8 slices, bile, beef tongue, tripe, Philippine beetles, whole tilapia 1

laying on counter:
banana 2, sweet onion 1, beef lard (oil), red wine ‘menage a trois’, organic sugar

cabinet:
baking powder, cornstarch, oats, onion powder, polenta, red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, sesame oil, canned sardines, pine nuts, chicken broth, salsa, tomato sauce 2 cans, garbanzo beans 1 can, coconut milk 1 can, bbq sauce, self rising cornmeal mix, white whole wheat flour, corn masa flour, pure can sugar dark brown (brown sugar), blue corn meal, bourbon, dry gin, chili 15 bean soup dry beans, shrimp bouillon cubes, beef bouillon cubes, chicken bouillon cubes, extra virgin olive oil, course ground malabar black pepper, light corn syrup, pepper supreme (mix of 4 peppers), garlic powder, garlic salt, garam masala, grill mates 5 fiery pepper seasoning, ginisang bagoong, hawaiian kiawe smoke sea salt, gourmet garlic sea salt,

ground ginger, ground red pepper (cayenne pepper), ground turmeric, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground cumin, ground coriander, ground mustard, seasoning salt, thyme, rosemary, whole black peppercorns, whole roasted sesame seeds, steak seasoning, dried red peppers, pure vanilla extract, seasoned salt, sage powder, chili powder, grill mates spicy Montreal steak seasoning, paprika, dill weed, cloves powder, basil leaves, oregano leaves, bay leaves, curry powder, soy sauce, fish sauce, teriyaki souce, white vinegar, liquid aminos braggs, red pepper powder

There you go! :)

Wow, you have more seasoning than actual food here. Guess you like your spices!

Cook the pumpkin till soft. Mash well with a bit of butter, add a dash of salt and 2 beaten eggs and some self rising to bind. Just enough flour to form a thick batter. Heat oil in a pan and fry spoonfuls of the mix, turn when bubbles form on the surface and cook till brown on the other side. Sprinkle the pumpkin fritters with cinnamon sugar to serve.

Rub the pork belly slices with sea salt, black pepper, paprika and a bit of brown sugar. Place under a hot grill and grill both sides till fat is crisp.

Make a smooth polenta with water, salt and some butter. It should be soft but hold together well. Spoon this into a buttered oven dish. Make a relish with some chopped onion (fry till cooked but not brown) Add some garlic powder, paprika and a dash of cayenne and some tomato sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon evenly over polenta and top with some cheese. Grill in the oven till cheese is golden and bubbling.

Serve the pork belly with a slice of the polenta bake and finish with pumpkin fritters for pudding. A drizzle of syrup on the fritters is good too.

@jennyema - I'll explain both of them. The bile I used for papaitan and the beetles crickets I use for ararawan.

@snip - Yeah, I have a lot of spices. Not intentionally though. I just try a lot of recipes online and they list spices that I buy once and never use again. I am hoping to change that though. Since I found out about this site I would like to use all the spices/flour/etc. that I have on a regular basis.

Regarding your recipe, it looks great! But can you list some amounts instead of "some" of this or that, please? (you too jennyema please?) That really confuses me and I just absolutely know that I am going to just screw it up. Also, I don't have any cinnamon sugar listed. Perhaps you meant for me to add some of the organic sugar to some cinnamon...? Or I can always just go out and buy a bottle of cinnamon sugar.

Oh yeah, and I do not have a grill. Can I cook it on the stove the same way?

Last edited:
@jennyema - I'll explain both of them. The bile I used for papaitan and the beetles crickets I use for ararawan.

@snip - Yeah, I have a lot of spices. Not intentionally though. I just try a lot of recipes online and they list spices that I buy once and never use again. I am hoping to change that though. Since I found out about this site I would like to use all the spices/flour/etc. that I have on a regular basis.

Regarding your recipe, it looks great! But can you list some amounts instead of "some" of this or that, please? (you too jennyema please?) That really confuses me and I just absolutely know that I am going to just screw it up. Also, I don't have any cinnamon sugar listed. Perhaps you meant for me to add some of the organic sugar to some cinnamon...? Or I can always just go out and buy a bottle of cinnamon sugar.

Oh yeah, and I do not have a grill. Can I cook it on the stove the same way?

Hi :)

You can just add some cinnamon to sugar. No need to buy ready made. I usually add 1tsp to half a cup of sugar.

The spices on the pork are to taste and you can fry them in a pan and as for the polenta bake....
You can make some creamy polenta and just top it with the relish and grated cheese and serve. You won't get the cheese golden and crisp but it will still be good.

Just follow package instructions for the polenta and add a big dollop of butter once cooked. Taste and add salt if needed.
Relish is just taste as you go. Soften your onion in a little oil, add spices to taste, add tomatoes. Taste again and add what you think it needs.

The best way to learn how to cook well is tasting as you go. Don't be scared of trying new flavours. No recipe is set in stone.

Pumpkin fritters are easy. Just put the cool blended pumpkin in a bowl, add the beaten egg, then slowly add flour till the batter is firm enough to spoon into your oiled pan. Just like making pancakes :)

If you need more help just shout!

Last edited:
I'd start with 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp paprika and 1 tbsp brown sugar. Mix them together in a small bowl and taste it. Adjust till it has a flavor you like.

I think Snip is referring to a broiler when she says grill :)

I'd start with 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp paprika and 1 tbsp brown sugar. Mix them together in a small bowl and taste it. Adjust till it has a flavor you like.

I think Snip is referring to a broiler when she says grill :)

Thanks GG :) I don't use recipes, I cook by taste.
Yes I mean broiler, the grill in your oven :LOL: We call the one outside a braai (South African remember!)

Ok, I have done jennyema’s and snip’s recipes. Some things:

I will have to have portions listed for any recipes I do. I realize some can do by taste but I am not there yet.

Place under a hot grill and grill both sides till fat is crisp.
Grill in the oven till cheese is golden and bubbling.
So, by grill you mean oven. Seems like you meant two different things after reading the above. Anyway, I know now though. I cooked them on the stove because I was confused by what you meant. I don’t think it turned out that well but it was still edible. This refers to the recipes for the pork belly and the chicken. Btw, they both had very black sections on them, is it ok to eat those areas? I have been eating them already but my gf said I am going to get cancer from eating them. I was thinking it is the same thing as eating campfire meat when one is cooking the meat on a stick directly in an open fire. Correct?

The polenta recipe I now see was supposed to be a polenta pizza with pork belly toppings, right? That was an ok dish, I guess. But the pumpkin fritters rolled in the cinnamon sugar was great!

I think Snip is referring to a broiler when she says grill
C:\DOCUME~1\Anthony\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif
You mean this:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/411IvVYkEgL._SY355_.jpg

If you mean broiler in my oven then how was I supposed to cook it? The broiler settings on my oven only list “High” and “Low”...?

Ok, I have done jennyema’s and snip’s recipes. Some things:

I will have to have portions listed for any recipes I do. I realize some can do by taste but I am not there yet.

So, by grill you mean oven. Seems like you meant two different things after reading the above. Anyway, I know now though. I cooked them on the stove because I was confused by what you meant. I don’t think it turned out that well but it was still edible. This refers to the recipes for the pork belly and the chicken. Btw, they both had very black sections on them, is it ok to eat those areas? I have been eating them already but my gf said I am going to get cancer from eating them. I was thinking it is the same thing as eating campfire meat when one is cooking the meat on a stick directly in an open fire. Correct?

The polenta recipe I now see was supposed to be a polenta pizza with pork belly toppings, right? That was an ok dish, I guess. But the pumpkin fritters rolled in the cinnamon sugar was great!

You mean this:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/411IvVYkEgL._SY355_.jpg

If you mean broiler in my oven then how was I supposed to cook it? The broiler settings on my oven only list “High” and “Low”...?

Sorry about the confusion. I'm South African. We call a broiler a grill and an outside grill a braai.
I did mean grill in the oven.

It's ok, snip. I am grateful for the recipes. :)

1. How was I supposed to cook it though? The broiler settings on my oven only list “High” and “Low”...?

2. What about the black sections on the food I cooked?

It's ok, snip. I am grateful for the recipes. :)

1. How was I supposed to cook it though? The broiler settings on my oven only list “High” and “Low”...?

2. What about the black sections on the food I cooked?

The pork I would say is best done on low. So you don't burn it before it's cooked through.

The polenta bake is already cooked when you put it under the broiler so just brown the cheese topping on high.

Not sure what black sections you are talking about? If it's something you made has burned a bit you could just cut the black bits off if the rest is not bitter.

Back
Top Bottom