Black Eyed Peas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1 pound bag dried Black Eyed Peas
1/2 of a small onion diced up
1 can Rotel
4 or 5 oz of smoked meat (I used Hog Jowl)
1/2 tablespoon salt
pinch of black pepper

Dice up meat add to a hot pan, add onion. When meat is browned and onion soft add your peas, can of Rotel, salt and pepper. Cook until tender.

It looks great.
Where does all that broth come from? It's got to be more that the can of Rotel... Do you soak the beans and use that liquid?

Happy New Year

Black eyed peas are a must on New Year's Day! Thanks for the recipe, and

Happy New Year!!:chef:

My Texan mom, transplanted to Ca. always insisted on BEP for New Year's Day and I've followed the practice since she's been gone. If you can find frozen BEP's they are much better I think, and I always cook greens with them along with a ham hock and chicken stock. I like mustard greens the best. Good eats to be sure.
PP, I really like the idea of a can of Rotel....I'll add that. Yumm...

My Texan mom, transplanted to Ca. always insisted on BEP for New Year's Day and I've followed the practice since she's been gone. If you can find frozen BEP's they are much better I think, and I always cook greens with them along with a ham hock and chicken stock. I like mustard greens the best. Good eats to be sure.
PP, I really like the idea of a can of Rotel....I'll add that. Yumm...

Normally I cook the frozen ones, they are quicker. Fresh is best but cant always get them.

My Grandma always had BEP and cabbage for new years. I like collard greens but like you prefer mustard greens.

We were taught that we had to leave 1 pea on our plates so we'd have good luck for the rest of the year.

HNY

My grandmother used to cook them with a penny inside. Who ever got the penny was suposed to have good luck.

Back
Top Bottom