Oyster Appetizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salt and pepper

Executive Chef
Small oysters on top of cocktail sauce (homemade with my hot sauce) topped with spicy V-8 and lime zest.

Last edited:
I generally prefer the texture of fried oysters; However, I might be motivated to harvest a few oysters from my front 'lawn' if you shared the recipe for the depicted oysters.
Perhaps you could also recommend a tartar sauce for fried seafood.

Last edited:
I generally prefer the texture of fried oysters; However, I might be motivated to harvest a few oysters from my front 'lawn' if you shared the recipe for the depicted oysters.
Perhaps you could also recommend a tartar sauce for fried seafood.

Hey Bill,
There is nothing special about the recipe, just a basic cocktail sauce made with ketchup ,lemon or lime juice, horseradish, some cracked black pepper, Worcestershire sauce and the hot sauce of your choice. I don't measure anything, I just mix it to my taste. The hot sauce is made with habenaro peppers which I make at home; ( please, don't ask for the hot sauce recipe ) as it is something I wish to keep to myself. Sorry.
Drop a tsp of cocktail sauce under a small oyster in serving glass, oyster shell, whatever you choose, add a dash of oyster liquor, V-8 spicy veg juice and garnish with lemon or lime zest. If you wish to add liquor I recommend pepper vodka. Everything should be ice cold, the colder the better.
There are so many variations to this, so just experiment till you find one that is to your liking.
As I'm not a fan of tarter sauce, I can't help you there, sorry again.
The day I made these, since I can't eat just one or two. Some were made using Japanese ingredients, a few with Bud-Lite chalada. Anyway, you get the idea.
I'm hoping soon to get more involved in molecular gastronomy and come up with new ideas, lets see what happens.

Hey Bill,
There is nothing special about the recipe, just a basic cocktail sauce made with ketchup ,lemon or lime juice, horseradish, some cracked black pepper, Worcestershire sauce and the hot sauce of your choice. I don't measure anything, I just mix it to my taste. The hot sauce is made with habenaro peppers which I make at home; ( please, don't ask for the hot sauce recipe ) as it is something I wish to keep to myself. Sorry.
Drop a tsp of cocktail sauce under a small oyster in serving glass, oyster shell, whatever you choose, add a dash of oyster liquor, V-8 spicy veg juice and garnish with lemon or lime zest. If you wish to add liquor I recommend pepper vodka. Everything should be ice cold, the colder the better.
There are so many variations to this, so just experiment till you find one that is to your liking.
As I'm not a fan of tarter sauce, I can't help you there, sorry again.
The day I made these, since I can't eat just one or two. Some were made using Japanese ingredients, a few with Bud-Lite chalada. Anyway, you get the idea.
I'm hoping soon to get more involved in molecular gastronomy and come up with new ideas, lets see what happens.
Thanks for the response. With respect to Habaneros, no problem; I learned the hard way that I'm not crazy about their flavor by soaking them in some vodka.

Acme Oyster House, in the Quarter, with just the counter between me and the guy shucking. The contest being can he shuck em as fast as I can pack em away. After about 8 dozen, we called it a draw!:rolleyes: I'm still fuzzy about the number of Abita Ambers downed that evening though.

Back
Top Bottom