Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm really looking forward to when "Yellowstone" starts up again, I think it's in July. I've been pondering :LOL: about who is going to leave the show, (its usually someone) and I think it's going to be Jamie. He killed the young lady journalist last season who was threatening to expose some secrets about the family. Jamie and Rip floated her on a kayak in the river when she was already dead. I'm thinking there will be an autopsy and it will be revealed that she was dead when she hit the river. Jamie has been my least fave character, but I love this show. :LOL:

Cheryl, can't wait for this show to come back on! Mom loves it - but she loves anything with Kevin Costner in it.

What network or streaming service is that on, Cheryl? Not that it's available to us. One of these days Himself might get the tower computer working again. Although he did just get a Roku.

What is the appeal of the tower computer? I use to have a HTPC but stopped using it in favor of a Fire Stick about four years ago. The interface is quite nice and I can use my iPhone or my voice to dictate to it. Before I had a Logitech wireless keyboard that was kind of awful to type/mouse on.

I have difficulty getting my head around paying a yearly charge so that I can go pay more for a 12 year old TV show.. Guess I'm just cheap.. :ermm:

Is there an option to pay by the month? You can always pay for a month or two and then drop it. Maybe you can share the subscription with another family member or a friend. I share my Amazon sub with my parents and my sister shares Netflix with them as well.

I’m currently finishing up season two of “I’m a Killer” on Netflix which I enjoyed. Many of these people had sad backgrounds. In some cases they deserve a reduced sentence but in others, they got what they deserve and I had no compassion for them. These are people from Ohio, Missouri, and Texas prisons.

One interesting story was of Linda Couch. She said she was abused by her husband who also abused her oldest child. As she told her story, you start to have sympathy for her. But then you hear from the law enforcement side and the family and then you understand why she is in prison.

I’m planning to watch All Or Nothing Philadelphia Eagles ? next on Amazon prime. It follows the football team behind the scene throughout the year. If the past is an indication of the future, it should be very good. Previous series covered NZ All Blacks (rugby), Manchester City (soccer), AZ Cardinals, LA Rams, Dallas Cowboys, Carolina Panthers (football).

Is there an option to pay by the month? You can always pay for a month or two and then drop it. Maybe you can share the subscription with another family member or a friend. I share my Amazon sub with my parents and my sister shares Netflix with them as well.

I have no problem with the fee to utilize Prime or Netflix.. To me, they are beneficial..
I just don't care to pay extra to watch older TV shows..

Ross

I have no problem with the fee to utilize Prime or Netflix.. To me, they are beneficial..
I just don't care to pay extra to watch older TV shows..

I don't have a problem with paying for an older show if it's good. I do have to weigh the cost against other forms of entertainment to see if it's worth it to me.

I did look for In Plain Sight and confirmed that it's not available on any streaming service unless you buy it by the episode/season. Even on USA Network app, it's not available. I have no desire to track down DVDs for it. There's too much content available on streaming for me to do this.

bbq, you may have no desire to "track down a DVD" while we don't want to part with any $$$ if we can find something free. :D And I'm not doing much in the way tracking down, btw. I go out at least once a week to grocery shop. Our library is less than two miles from our house. All I do is browse the library website, find what we want, and order up a DVD...or book. When they send a notice that it's waiting for me, I have a week to get it before they return it to its home library. I just swing by the library and pick up my goodies whenever I go out for any other reason! Now, I grant that this system doesn't work if you're spontaneous, but in my case it does. I need 24 hours notice to be spontaneous. :LOL:

What is the appeal of the tower computer? I use to have a HTPC but stopped using it in favor of a Fire Stick about four years ago...
Apparently none anymore. Himself just got a Roku. He's thinking that it will satisfy all his/our TV viewing needs. Since I'm not much of a TV watcher to begin with since I prefer reading instead, the days of Alice hanging around might be limited until the next time an electronics recycling day comes around our neck of the woods...

This seems interesting...
Went to Amazon to add to our list and found that it is not included in Prime..

I have difficulty getting my head around paying a yearly charge so that I can go pay more for a 12 year old TV show.. Guess I'm just cheap.. :ermm:

I suppose I need to get a device to watch videos from the library..

Ross

I agree Ross! We turned back on the Amazon Prime so that I could watch this season's Mrs. Maisel, went looking for other programs to watch only to find quite a few were not included and they wanted MORE money out of us.
I discontinued the Prime :glare:

bbq, you may have no desire to "track down a DVD" while we don't want to part with any $$$ if we can find something free. :D And I'm not doing much in the way tracking down, btw. I go out at least once a week to grocery shop. Our library is less than two miles from our house. All I do is browse the library website, find what we want, and order up a DVD...or book. When they send a notice that it's waiting for me, I have a week to get it before they return it to its home library. I just swing by the library and pick up my goodies whenever I go out for any other reason! Now, I grant that this system doesn't work if you're spontaneous, but in my case it does. I need 24 hours notice to be spontaneous. :LOL:

Apparently none anymore. Himself just got a Roku. He's thinking that it will satisfy all his/our TV viewing needs. Since I'm not much of a TV watcher to begin with since I prefer reading instead, the days of Alice hanging around might be limited until the next time an electronics recycling day comes around our neck of the woods...

CG, we've been watching our video entertainment on our two Roku sticks (his and hers ;) ) for the past, oh, just about 2 years now I think. There's loads of free content out there, right?! We watch a lot on You Tube and I just signed up for Acorn TV ($5.99/mo) and then Roku itself has free shows too. DH LOVES The Beverly Hillbillies :LOL:
I look around online prior to paying for a show or movie. Some scources you can get it for free where others will charge you for the same show :shrug:

Just finished watching ten hour-long episodes of Counterpart on Prime Video. I'd tell you what it's about if I had any idea.

But if they make a second season I'll watch it too.

We just finished watching the five seasons of "Schitt's Creek" on Amazon Prime Video. It's rather off-beat but funny. Looking forward to when the next season is released.

And we've been watching "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel," which is HILARIOUS [emoji23]

I've been enjoying "Call the Midwife" on Netflix. It's a series about the experiences of nurse-midwives in the '50s and '60s in the East End of London, based on the diary of a woman who served as one. Very interesting story lines, especially if you're interested in medical history. .

Much of what I watch on TV is news. This includes BBC, DW, NHK (japan) which have very informative content.

I tune into PBS much of the time for NOVA, Frontline, etc.

Whatever I watch, I want it to improve my mind unless it is comedy. Saturday Night Live is ok. Cartoon Network allows me to be a kid again and laugh like one.

In more recent times I HDMI cable my laptop to the TV and watch a lot of Youtube content. As far as British Drama's, no.

I enjoy the Olympics when they are on TV.

One of my favorites is anything with Bert Wolf "Travels & Traditions".

Henry Ford's "Innovation Nation"

America's Test Kitchen

Milk Street

Things I deplore

Judge Judy

Jerry Springer

...any of the afternoon "De Sade Shows"

I find a lot of kids programming is actually more informative than the stuff offered to adults.

But when I really need escape I turn to the cartoon network shows like Prometheus & Bob.

Samples:

Antartica

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOfAuQW1Lec

Fishing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR0nUGRlmvw

Ice Skating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdJip8HTyfE

And for any Vet's 2 Stupid Dogs (Semper fi Devil Dog)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mvj8TxfmCA

Last edited:
Is that local news? I haven't watched local news, except when DH turns on the weather report, in years. It's nothing but death and destruction, with a few minutes of sports and weather, so I do without. I prefer to read the news.
Christiane Amanpour has been among the best journalists in the world for decades. In my not very humble opinion her show, Amanpour & Co. is just required viewing. You can watch it on your PBS station, follow it on Amanpour & Company | PBS, or on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq...cEMKQWVJZ7Ws-isf05Eb74eB05PUkhnYaAmixEALw_wcB

Anyway, I like TV. When I get the chance I watch pure fiction and am completely entertained. While in the hospital I had the SciFi Channel on everyday/every hour.

tired of it, keep your views of the different news networks off of here.

How about using the forum as it was meant to be, a nice chat about the TV shows you like. There are plenty of other places to go if you want to rant about this or that news and politics alike. DC is not the place for that.

Is that local news? I haven't watched local news, except when DH turns on the weather report, in years. It's nothing but death and destruction, with a few minutes of sports and weather, so I do without. I prefer to read the news.

I don't know what it's like in the rest of the country but around here people are obsessed with the weather. For the 6:00 and 11:00 local news, weather dominates. In the beginning of the 35 minute broadcast, there is a weather report, then there's another weather mention. About half way through the broadcast, there is the main weather report. Then at the end of the broadcast, there is another mention of the weather.

Also, why does the news have to be 35 minutes long? Why not a half hour?

Back
Top Bottom