Crock-pot question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inchrisin

Senior Cook
I'm thinking about making a chicken curry for dinner tomorrow. I will be at work for 9 hours and I don't want to overcook the chicken. It dawns on me that I can prep the food in the crock pot and then throw it in the freezer. I'll take it out tomorrow and put the crock on low. the meal will start out slower and by hour 8 or 9 the recipe will be ready when I get home.

A few concerns:

I wonder about the tensile strength of ceramic. Will the crock hold up in the freezer?

On the reverse side, will the crock hold up when going from frozen to low heat?

Will the chicken taste any different. I know that sometimes when you cook frozen meat it gets tough and unappealing.

Thanks for your experiences.

I'm thinking about making a chicken curry for dinner tomorrow. I will be at work for 9 hours and I don't want to overcook the chicken. It dawns on me that I can prep the food in the crock pot and then throw it in the freezer. I'll take it out tomorrow and put the crock on low. the meal will start out slower and by hour 8 or 9 the recipe will be ready when I get home.

A few concerns:

I wonder about the tensile strength of ceramic. Will the crock hold up in the freezer?

On the reverse side, will the crock hold up when going from frozen to low heat?

Will the chicken taste any different. I know that sometimes when you cook frozen meat it gets tough and unappealing.

Thanks for your experiences.

To play it safe. Go ahead and do the prep. Instead of using the freezer which will most likely break the crock. Put it in the fridge. When you get up and ready for work take the crock out and set it on the counter.

Before you leave wipe off the condensation and put the crock in the base set it on low.

Or change the menu.. :mrgreen:

I would use one of the crock pot liners and freeze the food liner and crock. Take the food in the liner out of the crock before bed. It should be frozen by then. Put the liner and food back in the freezer and leave the crock out. In the morning, insert the liner and food back into the crock and cook as desired.
I think that would work. :mellow:

Back
Top Bottom