Orchestra Soup (red curry with beef)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purple.alien.giraffe

Executive Chef
The hubby decided this should be called orchestra soup because all the parts are distinct and individual but blend and work together. I'm cool with everyone else just calling it red curry and beef soup.

Ingredients

3/4 lb beef roast
1 small bunch bok choy
1 large red bell pepper
1 8 oz can sliced water chestnuts
8 oz cremini or white button mushrooms
1 med yellow onion
32 oz vegetable stock
3 cups water
1/4 cup red curry paste
2 tsp sriracha (more or less to taste)
2 tsp lime juice
1/4 tsp dried, ground ginger
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 pinch allspice
1 pinch cardamom
1 pinch corriander
1 pinch mace
1 pinch tumeric
1 to 3 dried hot peppers (optional, more or less to desired heat)

Slice the beef roast into thin strips about 2 1/2 inches long and 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Slice the onion into thin rings or half rings.

In a large soup pan sear the beef. Add the onions while searing the beef and brown them a little. Add a little water as needed to keep from burning. When onions and meat are browned turn down heat. Add the spices, dried hot peppers and enough of the vegetable stock to just cover what's in the pan. Simmer covered about ten minutes, stirring ocasionally to loosen the brownings from the pan.

While the meat and onions simmer, wash the vegetables really well. Slice the red pepper into thin strips. Slice the leafy part of the bok choy into 1 to 2 in pieces and dice the stalk. You should have about 2 to 3 cups of bok choy stalk and about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 cups of the leaves. Slice the mushrooms.

Add all remaining ingredients except the bok choy leaves. Bring to a low boil and cook covered for 15 minutes. Add the leaves, bring back up to boil and cook an additional five minutes.

The hubby and I were thinking it would be good with springy noodles such as ramen, or with markouk bread.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom