Chocolate Chip Cookie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doe in the kitchen

Assistant Cook
Hello Everyone,
I was wondering if you all would mind sharing your recipes for Chocolate Chip Cookies. I have a very good recipe but I would like one that makes the cookies come out fluffier.I wasn't sure if I just needed to increase the Baking powder or baking soda? Thanks to everyone for you help.

When you say "fluffier," do you mean cakey?
I have some great recipes for chewy (not cakey) chocolate chip cookies - crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. I've tried countless chocolate chip cookie recipes, and I have a few select favorites.
If you're interested in chewy, as opposed to cakey, let me know.

I use Nestle's back of the bag recipe. Except I use 1 stick butter and this is one time when I substitute in 1 stick margarine. 2 Cups chips ( 16 oz) , not 12 oz. You can add a cup of dry oatmeal too without needing to adjust the recipe further. Don't bake as long, so they come out softer. These come out a little taller than the less flat choc chip cookies. Freeze them by the ice cream bucket full. Put in a hot oven before serving to crisp or at least warm up. I microwave too, but oven seems better. Serve with a glass of milk. I Can No Longer Make These. Can not keep chips or cookies on hand, Note the suggest storage. Pfft, They disappear like magic. I've tried. There is no better recipe.

Consequently no bag chips to confirm the recipe. This is what is listed on a website as their original--

• 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups chcolate morsels(12-oz. pkg
  • 1 cup chopped nuts
PREHEAT oven to 375° F.

COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

PAN COOKIE VARIATION: Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan. Prepare dough as above. Spread into prepared pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack. Makes 4 dozen bars.

SLICE AND BAKE COOKIE VARIATION:
PREPARE dough as above. Divide in half; wrap in waxed paper. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm. Shape each half into 15-inch log; wrap in wax paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.* Preheat oven to 375° F. Cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices; place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Makes about 5 dozen cookies.

* May be stored in refrigerator for up to 1 week or in freezer for up to 8 weeks.

FOR HIGH ALTITUDE BAKING (5,200 feet): Increase flour to 2 1/2 cups. Add 2 teaspoons water with flour and reduce both granulated sugar and brown sugar to 2/3 cup each. Bake drop cookies for 8 to 10 minutes and pan cookie for 17 to 19 minutes.

My friend Flora's dad owned a bakery. This is her chocolate chip recipe.

Flora's Chocolate Chip Cookies

1-1/2 c shortening (Crisco)
1-1/4 c granulated sugar
3/4 c brown sugar
3 eggs
1 - 2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp butter flavoring
2 tsp baking soda dissolved in 2 T water
3 c plus 3 T AP flour
1 package chips

Directions:

1. Using an electric mixer, cream together the shortening and sugar until very fluffy.
2. Add the eggs (I whisk them before I add them).
3. Add vanilla extract, butter flavoring, and dissolved soda. Blend briefly.
4. Blend in flour and and chips.
5. Bake at 375 for 8 minutes on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
6. Remove from oven and leave cookies on the cook sheet for 2 minutes.
7. Remove and allow to cool on paper toweling.

Note: To make oatmeal-raisin cookies that are soft, follow the above but add 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp ground cloves, and 1/4 tsp ground allspice to the flour. Use 3 c oatmeal instead of chips and 1/2 - 3/4 c raisins. Bake following the directions. You must let them cool on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes before transferring to the paper towels. These are soft cookies. I've made this recipe many times and it always works. Thanks Flora!

This is one of my favorite cookie recipes to give out -
These cookies are big and fluffy - the cake flour works well for this.

I've been making them for at least a dozen years with really good results.

My favorite chocolate chip cookies

1 stick butter, room temperature
½ c. packed dark brown sugar
½ c. white sugar
1 egg
2 Tbsp. milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. flour1/2 c. cake flour (Swan's Down brand in the red box is easy to find)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat to 350f Cream butter & both sugars; add egg, milk & vanilla, mix. In a seperate bowl, mix both flours, baking powder & salt. Add the dry ingredients 1/3 at a time to butter mixture, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the chocolate chips. Using a size 40 spring-loaded cookie scoop (eqivalent to 1-1/2 Tbsp. ), scoop level measures of dough onto greased cookie sheet, spacing each 2" apart. Bake till browned & firm to the touch, about 12-15 min. They will be a bit firm to the touch, and the edges & bottom will be golden, not brown. Transfer to foil & cool.

That's a great question, Brian :)
I only use butter, since shortening is a man-made chemical product. Plus, you cannot get a better flavor in a cookie than real butter, I think :D

I've always had good luck with this recipe .. found it on a Jello Instant Pudding Box probably in the 80's .. still use it today

INSTANT JELLO PUDDING CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

2 1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 c. softened butter
1/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pkg. (4 oz. serving) instant vanilla pudding
2 eggs
1 pkg. (12 oz.) chocolate chips
1 c. nuts (opt.)

Combine butter, the sugars, vanilla and pudding mix in large bowl. Beat until creamy. Then beat in eggs. Gradually add flour, soda, chips and nuts. Batter will be stiff. Drop by teaspoonful, about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. Makes 7 dozen

You can mix it up a bit by using different flavors of pudding mix as well as different flavors of chips.

I just made some of my CCCs. After mixing it all, I put the mixing bowl in the fridge. After about 4 hours, I took it out, and most all of the CCs settled to the bottom of the dough! I don't remember this happening before, the CCs were store brand 'Everyday Essentials' or summat.

Anywho this is my recpie

225g sugar
225g brown sugar
8oz/1 cup of butter
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon white vinegar

425 to 500g flour (add enough so dough doesn't stick to mixing bowl)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

170g/6oz chopped walnuts
340g/12oz semi-sweet chocolate chips

Place sugar, brown sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla and vinegar in large bowl. Beat until smooth.

Add flour, baking soda, and salt. Beat until blended. Add chocolate chips and walnuts, beat until combined.

Store in the fridge for at least 4 hours.

Preheat oven to 375ºF

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto parchment paper'ed baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake at 375ºF for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from baking sheets immediately and cool on wire racks

Alton Brown's recipes, hands down. I don't even pretend to think that I'll ever try anything else any more. I made 4 kinds of cookies including one of his CCC recipes and the CCC were practically inhaled. Even *I* couldn't keep my hands off them.

The Chewie is the one I favor:
The Chewy Recipe : Alton Brown : Recipes : Food Network

He also has 2 other varieties:

The Thin
The Thin Recipe : Alton Brown : Recipes : Food Network

The Puffy
The Puffy Recipe : Alton Brown : Recipes : Food Network

See how it's done:

Three Chips for Sister Marsha

Years ago I had my own recipe for soft chewy chocolate chip cookies. The secret? 100% brown sugar, melting the butter (but I did use regular old AP flour) and chilling the dough before baking. The cookies softened up nicely, absorbing water from the air, as AB's Cookie Fiend notes, mostly due to the hygroscopic qualities of the brown sugar.

A friend insisted on knowing my secret. When I told him, he immediately pronounced himself "grossed out" at the idea of eating a cookie that got and retained its moisture due in part to what it could absorb from the air.

Its not like we lived in a smog zone.

So, I stopped making that recipe. I had to - he told EVERYBODY, and passed along his low tolerance for what he decided was the "yuck" factor - nobody wanted them anymore! With friends like that ... well anyway.

Then Alton Brown comes along with a similar (though undoubtedly improved) version of the same recipe, with the same explanation for why the cookies stay moist, and he's a kitchen GOD! Nobody complains to HIM about an icky factor associated with cookies that absorb air from the environment!

*sigh* Oh well. I have always been and shall always be a Kitchen Barbarian, I suppose. LOL!

I have been trying different recipies for CCC's lately. I was looking for something better than Tollhouse. But everything I have tried was at best poor. I completely forgot about Alton's The Chewy recipe. They are outstanding and I already have the recipe in my "best recipe " file. Thanks so much for the reminder. How could I have forgotten these?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • try it those are so soft and chewy like this recipe not trying others after started using this one
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups (about 12 ounces) semisweet and/or milk chocolate chips
Directions

1. Step 1

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter with both sugars; beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low; add the salt, vanilla, and eggs. Beat until well mixed, about 1 minute. Add flour mixture; mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
    • In this step:
    • How to Measure Flour
  2. Step 2

Drop heaping tablespoon-size balls of dough about 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
  3. Step 3

Bake until cookies are golden around the edges, but still soft in the center, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool on baking sheet 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool completely. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week.

Back
Top Bottom