ISO advice w/bottling tomato juice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
Can the 600 ml bottles that water is sold in be used to bottle tomato juice - and other juices?

If you're just wanting to use the bottle and not worried about preserving for stable shelf life, I'm sure you can. If you want to store it as you would in canning, I doubt it unless you can find bottle caps that will seal like mason jar lids.

I have heard that the throwaway water bottles are not suitable for reuse, and I would be particularly careful about storing acid in them.

A better alternative for me would be wine bottles. There are several types of stoppers available, depending on what type of storage needed. I have a handful of the type of stoppers that used to be used in thermos bottles. Corkers are available, and bottle air pumps and the reusable stoppers would be be a better alternative.

If you're just wanting to use the bottle and not worried about preserving for stable shelf life, I'm sure you can. If you want to store it as you would in canning, I doubt it unless you can find bottle caps that will seal like mason jar lids.

Agreed. I put tomato juice into used other type of fruit juice bottles once I open the can. Never had a bad taste or bad juice from doing that. But I always keep it in the fridge once opened.

Thanks! Now, I just have to find a way to make tomato juice that tastes good. I use my masticating juicer and it always comes out with a bit of a slimy texture - not at all like the canned or bottles juices I have drank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom