I need a Hobart KitchenAid K-5A Part

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spotco2

Assistant Cook
We have an old Hobart Kitchenaid K-5A mixer and have seemed to misplace the brush holder cap for one side of the motor.

This part is no longer available anywhere that I have been able to locate. This is the old brass version that is smaller than the newer plastic version and they will NOT interchange.

Does anyone know where to locate one of these old brush holder caps? I might even be willing to purchase a complete mixer that no longer works just for the parts.

Is there a simple way to retrofit the entire brush holder assembly with the new style?

I just hate to let this old work horse go to waste because of one small, missing part.

Yeah, I'm thinking machine shop is going to be the only way unless there is an appliance graveyard somewhere out there.

Another avenue is to look on sites that sell used items either in your area or that can be shipped. You may find another machine like yours that can be used for parts or even the parts themselves. There are always people trying to sell vintage appliances.

Good luck!

Even when the part has not been made for many years, parts can be found for old appliances. I'm assuming you have done a wider search for Kitchen Air mixer parts with the big search engines... Google, etc.

According to the manual, the original part number was C-116283-1

MANUAL:
http://www.smallappliance.com/images/SmallAppliance/English/products/standard/K5A.pdf

A likely looking brush cap claiming to fit K5 series, among others, is one of several offered on eBay.
KitchenAid Mixer Motor Brush Cap Black 3184212 | eBay
95c5_1.JPG

Also Amazon
Amazon.com: KitchenAid mixer brush cap, 3184212.: Kitchen & Dining

Also
Kitchenaid Mixer Brush Cap, 3184212 KitchenAid Stand Mixer Misc. Parts - Stand Mixer Parts - By Kitchenaid #3184212 - 744539017619 at Goodman's Small Appliances Housewares and Parts

So, multiple parts sites claim it fits the K5's.

Those new caps are the wrong size for the old style mixers. The one on the right is the one that I need.

img_1245673_0_a4379fc814da305087de4a62eebcc267.jpg

Look on sites like Craigs List, etc. People might be selling the old mixers for parts or the parts themselves. Yard/garage sales are also good places to go as well as second hand stores, etc.

You will not be finding a new piece for it for sure. First it is an obsolete model, and second, the company that made it doesn't make them any more and the company that took over won't be stocking old parts that don't belong to "their" machines.

Good luck. I love my KA and while mine is only 5 years old, I know they can last forever.

I know. I have been hunting one for months with no luck. That is how I ended up here hoping that someone might have an old machine that they were parting out or no longer wanted.

There is a market for a vintage appliance junkyard, and there might be one, but I have not found it yet.

We have a member here named leolady who is an expert on Kitchen Aid mixers and collects the older models. I suggest you send her a PM and ask for help.

I was thinking of her too, Andy. I think she has even showed pictures of older KA's. Haven't seen her around much lately.

Spotco2, you could go to Leolady's profile page and send her a Private Message. Even if she isn't here, she may get an email letting her know there is a message for her.

The other thing to do is to Advertise for the part on Craig's List, etc. if you haven't already done that as well. Sometimes people will hold onto things and not know why until they see that someone needs it! I am an expert! ;)

Those new caps are the wrong size for the old style mixers. The one on the right is the one that I need.

Yeah. I see. Nasty course thread that makes it unlikely any modern cap will match. If worse comes to worse, this guy make these and other parts, mostly for vintage fan restorers, but at least he'll be sympathetic to keeping a vintage machine in service, and he doesn't see to be too expensive.

Darryl Hudson Antique and Vintage Electric Fan Collecting

I did speak with Darryl and he was confident that he could machine out the part for a very small fee. I was also talking with someone else on WACEM Yahoo Group that thought they might have one. The person on WACEM found the ones they had and sent one out to me.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I did speak with Darryl and he was confident that he could machine out the part for a very small fee. I was also talking with someone else on WACEM Yahoo Group that thought they might have one. The person on WACEM found the ones they had and sent one out to me.

Thanks for the help everyone.

You are very welcome!!!:angel:

k45 cap

hey, did you ever find this part anywhere. I desperately need to get one also and I think I may have exhausted all my options.

Back
Top Bottom