Crawfish Question for our southern Cooks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, not shrimp, generally. Crayfish (crawdads, etc.) is closer to lobster in flesh and flavor. They have that sweet flavor more like lobster. You should be able to find crayfish tails and tail meat frozen. (Won't be able to suck the heads, as Paula no doubt did.) And you can no doubt find them live in the City. The Lobster Place in Chelsea Market. Wild Edibles. Maybe in Chinatown, but try to stick to domestic farmed.

Now, if you have rock shrimp or large prawns, you can use them much the same way as whole crayfish with a difference in flavor.

I order a 40 lb sack once or twice a season. Make sure you get wild caught as pond raised suck. If you buy tail meat, make sure it comes from Breaux Bridge, LA. The Chinese produce some nasty crap they export. Stay away from that garbage.

Can you get longostinos? I'm not sure of the spelling, but sometimes in a nice big store, you con find them in the freezer section or seafood counter.

Crayfish would definitely work, but I've never seen any in any store.

Living in New Orleans, a couple of stores nearby often have peeled crawdads, fresh frozen available for a price. Those may be available online.

Can you get longostinos? I'm not sure of the spelling, but sometimes in a nice big store, you con find them in the freezer section or seafood counter.

Crayfish would definitely work, but I've never seen any in any store.

Living in New Orleans, a couple of stores nearby often have peeled crawdads, fresh frozen available for a price. Those may be available online.

You need to go across the river! Gretna and Harvey.

A few years ago, a friend commented that crayfish were digging up her back yard here along the IL/IA banks of the Mississippi. I also recall seeing crayfish in Lake of the Woods in Canada. I looked it up, and apparently even Northern crawdads are edible. Mudbugs is mudbugs, north or south. Who knew? I'm wondering if they might be closer than you think, Letscook.

Last edited:
Order them online. There's really nothing like eating a good crawdad boil and sucking the juice out of the heads which is arguably better than the tail meat.

Thanks everyone,
Im 40 miles west of Syracuse, so the NYC options are out. Yes were can get frozen langostinos, Crayfish/mudbugs are avaiable in creeks around here, but wouldn't want to eat them. I will order some . Thanks again to all

You can order just the tails from the link I provided, which should work perfectly in your recipe. Too bad you weren't closer, we could split an order of live ones.

In Michigan, you can only harvest Rusty Crayfish, one of the invasive species. I've tried them, and they are pretty tasty. Unfortunately, though there are crayfish, the water is cold, and there just aren't a many. Catching enough for a feed is time intensive We can get frozen, or thawed in our grocery stores, but they are pre-seasoned:(. I like to season my own food:yum:.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of he North

Pacanis would of loved to thanks going to look into ordering them. but am going to try the langostinos that I can get frozen here. Think best to do that to try the recipe out first.

I have only had crayfish once. We were on vacation at Lake Tahoe. We met some Swedes. They had caught a bunch of crayfish and cooked them up at the beach and shared with my family. OMG, those were tasty.

I live in Montana, and we buy the tail meat at Walmart. In the frozen fish dept.. They use to sell them whole, but no more.

I have only had crayfish once. We were on vacation at Lake Tahoe. We met some Swedes. They had caught a bunch of crayfish and cooked them up at the beach and shared with my family. OMG, those were tasty.

When I used to go camping we could always find enough crayfish for a snack. That's back when I used to "catch" my own frog legs, too :yum:
There's something to be said for harvesting your own food in certain situations. I still remember walking into a poker game at a beach house where there were fresh mussels steaming in a beat up aluminum pan on a rickety stove. Some of the best mussels I ever ate :yum::yum::yum:

When I used to go camping we could always find enough crayfish for a snack. That's back when I used to "catch" my own frog legs, too :yum:
There's something to be said for harvesting your own food in certain situations. I still remember walking into a poker game at a beach house where there were fresh mussels steaming in a beat up aluminum pan on a rickety stove. Some of the best mussels I ever ate :yum::yum::yum:

You are so right. Those clams we brought home as kids from a day at the beach always tasted so good. There is something to be said about catching your food yourself. And going down to the beach after a storm and finding lobsters there for the picking, then bringing them home for supper just made the day. Even though the clams and lobsters I eat today come from the same waters, they just don't taste the same. :angel:

ooh pac, i just love stories like that!:yum:and, i know that dented, banged up pot, too--you never get a rare and wonderful seafood meal like what you had at your poker game with cuisinart cookware.... :)

man, i am so hungry for a pile of shellfish now!

ooh pac, i just love stories like that!:yum:and, i know that dented, banged up pot, too--you never get a rare and wonderful seafood meal like what you had at your poker game with cuisinart cookware.... :)

man, i am so hungry for a pile of shellfish now!

Sometimes the best meals are made under adverse and emergency situations. Like when the power goes out in a storm and you have to cook in the fireplace. Or you bring in the camping burner and cook with a fuel candle. Somehow you manage to make a complete meal with one pan and one burner and feed everyone. The kids will talk about that meal for years. They will ask what that thing is you used to open the cans. (a manual can opener) :angel:

I order a 40 lb sack once or twice a season. Make sure you get wild caught as pond raised suck. If you buy tail meat, make sure it comes from Breaux Bridge, LA. The Chinese produce some nasty crap they export. Stay away from that garbage.

Brought this thread back up on purpose. We were in Restaurant Depot and Karen spotted a package of frozen crawfish tails which had Breaux Bridge, LA on the package label. After further inspection, she found, in very small print, on the back of the package, "Product of China"!:mad: Apparently, the Chinese garbage is being shipped to Breaux Bridge and being repackaged and misrepresented as coming from there.:mad:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom