What To Buy, Cookware?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bulldogge

Assistant Cook
Hi All, New to the forum and I find DC very infomative. Well anyway,I am a weekend cooker and looking for some new cookware. I am using a 8 year old set of Circulon that is starting to wear out. I really like them but is is time to step up and get some new cookware. Probably gonna start with some new pans. I am looking at some Calphalon unison pans. All-Clad is a little expensive but not out of the running. I also see pans that are ceramic coated? I would also like them to be able to go in the oven and dishwasher safe unless dishwashers are not good for your cookware. Any advice and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

My preference is for SS tru-ply or multi-ply cookware. It performs very well, is generally DW safe and durable. You do not need any non-stick cookware except for a skillet or two for eggs/omelets.

All-Clad is great stuff. Check out Cookware & More - Outlet for All-Clad Irregulars for A-C cosmetic seconds at big discounts.

Otherwise, Calphalon, Tramontina, Cuisinart, etc. for lower cost SS cookware.

While I do own several high end pieces of cookware that only I use, I actually like mid-range nonstick cookware for everyday cooking. If you're the only cook in the house, that's one thing, but if there are other people (kids, for example) who don't clean out pots and pans right away, the nonstick stuff can be a blessing. They are also good if you are trying to limit the amount of oil used in your cooking (I am).

Just be advised that ALL nonstick cookware wears out over time. If this is the kind of set you end up buying, my advice is to not spend too much, knowing that in 10 years time you'll probably end up replacing it again.

Last edited:
While I do own several high end pieces of cookware that only I use, I actually like mid-range nonstick cookware for everyday cooking. If you're the only cook in the house, that's one thing, but if there are other people (kids, for example) who don't clean out pots and pans right away, the nonstick stuff can be a blessing. They are also good if you are trying to limit the amount of oil used in your cooking (I am).

Just be advised that ALL nonstick cookware wears out over time. If this is the kind of set you end up buying, my advice is to not spend too much, knowing that in 10 years time you'll probably end up replacing it again.

With just a little work, you can get cast iron, mineral pans, and comercial grade aluninum pans to be as non-stic as the best non-stick cookwear, adn they don't wear out. As for cooking with as little fat as necessary, I don't have to use any more oil than I would with non-stick. I simply put a tsp. or so of oil into the hot pan, rub it around with a paper towel to coat the inside, and my food slides across the pan. My Carbon Steel Wok is the same way.

Teh downside to the cast iron is that they are heavy. But the advantages far outweigh (pun intended) the weight of the pan, IMHO.

I do use a non-stick griddle for making pancakes though. I find the heat distribution better than in CI or SS, hence, more evenly cooked pancakes.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

With just a little work, you can get cast iron, mineral pans, and comercial grade aluninum pans to be as non-stic as the best non-stick cookwear, adn they don't wear out. As for cooking with as little fat as necessary, I don't have to use any more oil than I would with non-stick. I simply put a tsp. or so of oil into the hot pan, rub it around with a paper towel to coat the inside, and my food slides across the pan. My Carbon Steel Wok is the same way.

Teh downside to the cast iron is that they are heavy. But the advantages far outweigh (pun intended) the weight of the pan, IMHO.

I do use a non-stick griddle for making pancakes though. I find the heat distribution better than in CI or SS, hence, more evenly cooked pancakes.

I do have a nice cast iron pan that I love for steaks, burgers, and chops. And I have a carbon steel wok. And I have several nice La Creuset pieces.

But with regard to SS, the key words are "with just a little work". Like I said above, if it were just me, I would have no problem using them. But I have a college age daughter and wife who are both novice cooks. On top of that, neither likes doing the dishes. So I choose to buy cookware that will practically clean itself rather than cleaning up their stuck-on messes after the pans have sat in the sink for two days because no one else wants to deal with it.

Bottom line: to each his own. ;)

Last edited:
I do have a nice cast iron pan that I love for steaks, burgers, and chops. And I have a carbon steel wok. And I have several nice La Creuset pieces.

But with regard to SS, the key words are "with just a little work". Like I said above, if it were just me, I would have no problem using them. But I have a college age daughter and wife who are both novice cooks. On top of that, neither likes doing the dishes. So I choose to buy cookware that will practically clean itself rather than cleaning up their stuck-on messes after the pans have sat in the sink for two days because no one else wants to deal with it.

Bottom line: to each his own. ;)

Steve, don't misunderstand me. I wasn't challenging anything you said. I was merely trying to provide more information to the op than was listed as of my post. I understand completely that your novice cooks, or even seasoned cooks might want the convenience of non-stick cookwear. It's inexpensive, works great when new, and is lightweight. There are people who can't use CI or even SS due to the weight of the pots and pans due to physical limitations.

What you wrote was absolutely correct, and a great post. As said, I was only trying to give the op more options.

hey, chief. i was just wondering about something.

do you have a cast iron keyboard?
:angel:
:mrgreen: :whistling

You know that I have martial arts training.:ohmy: If you're not careful, I may have to show you harai goshi.;) Oh wait, that was with the 20 year old body. With this body, the best I could do is maybe o soto gari:mellow:.

And since your my younger brother, maybe I should just take the John Wayne approach, CI pan applied judiciously to the glutes.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thanks folks, Steve, You have some good points. I am not the only one cooking as my wife cooks a lot and my soon to be 6 year old daughter (St.Patricks day baby) likes to help out whenever she can, non stick might be the best option. Bed Bath & Beyond has some Calphalon Unison fry pans on sale and I have a 20% off coupon so I might try a couple of those. I will keep everyone tuned in and thanks again.

I love my LeCreuset pans (going on 30 years--I have 12 of them). I also have lots of stainless steel pans and cast iron skillets. I do not, however, own non-stick coated pans. I have fibromylgia (sp) and arthritis and do not have a problem (yet) with lifting the LeCreuset or cast iron pans out of the oven (except when I fill the lasagna pan--that can be a bit heavy). I do covet, however, a wall-mount oven and think everyone should have one rather than lifting pans out of a conventional oven that is below a stove.

Last edited:
Ok I finally bought a new set of cookware. Has anyone heard of or know anything about BonJour cookware? I found a 10 piece copper clad set of BonJour cookware that seems to be pretty descent. They are stainless with a copper core and seem pretty heavy duty. I see this set being sold around $900.00 - $1100.00. I found a set at Tuesday morning for $599.00 with an additional 60% off. that brought the price down to $240.00. The only thing I know about this set is that they are made in china. If anyone can give me any info or review on them that will be great. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom