Should I season new Lodge cookware?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I just bought a Lodge pre-seasoned grill pan. I've read some others who say that even though the pan is pre-seasoned, they will went through the seasonings process themselves. Is this necessary / should I do this? And if so, do I still wash it with soap before seasonings?

It's pre-seasoned. If you just use it, the seasoning will continue with each use. There is no need to, or harm in seasoning it again. No special preparation needed.

I did not have much luck with the pre-seasoning on a Lodge 9 quart dutch oven. The seasoning was kind of gummy and did not really hide the rough finish of the pot's interior. It was a laborious but worthwhile endeavor to remove the factory seasoning and 'sand' down the rough interior with Brillo soap pads, silicon carbide abrasive paste, then wire cup & wheel brushes and finally with brown soap, hot water and a stiff pot brush. It's now a pleasure to use without having to worry about grating down my wood spoons when stirring and scraping down the pot's contents. The smoothed finish is also easier to clean.
I used several thin applications of corn oil to re season the pot. For maintenance, I clean the pot with warm to hot water and a stiff brush or a blue scotch brite pad, rinse with very hot water, dry with paper towels, heat on stove top to complete drying, and then apply a thin coating of peanut oil to the hot pot.

Last edited:
I was never bothered by the "rough" surface of my Lodge Logic pans. It doesn't effect the non-stick quality of a seasoned pan or wear down my utensils. I guess I have a lighter touch.

I didn't find the factory seasoning to be gummy either. I was able to cook successfully on it from the first time.

I was never bothered by the "rough" surface of my Lodge Logic pans. It doesn't effect the non-stick quality of a seasoned pan or wear down my utensils. I guess I have a lighter touch.

I didn't find the factory seasoning to be gummy either. I was able to cook successfully on it from the first time.
Thanks, Andy, for comparing notes.
Keeping bean starch from sticking can require a fairly heavy hand.
IMHO, Logic's finish cannot hold a candle to Griswold or Wagner.
In good condition and for the right price (if I already did not own enough older cast iron wear) I'd buy used Griswold or Wagner. Too bad Textron killed them off.
For bigger 'modern' frying pans I've been using a 14 1/8" Matfer Bourgeat black steel pan. I'd like to use a bigger one but it would not fit on my stove nor in my sink.

Last edited:
If you really want to do it right. Boil your new pan with water, and wash it out with soap and hot water.
Lightly coat with flackseed oil, oven at 350 dregrees for an hour. Let it cool. Repeat for the next 5 days. Smooth finish, non stick.

I've had pre-seasoned cast iron from Lodge and also gotten unseasoned cast iron from a US company (Bayou Classics). I used the Lodge right out of the box (after a quick rinse in hot water to remove any packing dust) with wonderful results. I seasoned the Bayou pans myself and they perform just a well as the Lodge and were about 1/3 cheaper than Lodge. I'd say go ahead and use your grill pan. If you're not satisfied with the way it cooks, then you can think about going through the removal and reseasoning process.

... If you're not satisfied with the way it cooks, then you can think about going through the removal and reseasoning process.

You don't have to start from scratch by stripping the pan. You can add to the existing seasoning.

Back
Top Bottom