St Louis Barbecued Pork Steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
When I was doing my Pigskin Challenge a couple years ago and came to St Louis, one of the foods the city is known for is their barbecued pork steak. It's nothing more than a pork steak (from the Boston butt cut) braised in beer and barbecue sauce, but it produces a very flavorful, tender piece of meat. It's become part of my rotation and this is how I make it.

Season both sides with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and a little cumin. Then sear both sides on a very hot grill. Just enough to get some color.
img_1254786_0_79e38fc24ea568686db6e5629dea6bd4.jpg

Place the pork steak in a pan with some beer and some barbecue sauce. If you want to mix the liquids you can, but they will mix themselves as it cooks. Cover with foil and cook indirect for about an hour.
img_1254786_1_4a11488c2bf1fe95302e0c68146bd995.jpg

I remove the foil after an hour to let the sauce thicken. It's done at this point. And since the grill is going, you might as well cook the rest of dinner on it, too.
img_1254786_2_435464aa7b52d21b643e034617eb9366.jpg

img_1254786_3_6313349c81a93afbe7ca45fef3134f34.jpg

We love the Boston butt steak here as well. I marinate them in my fajita marinade over night, and then cook then on the grill like a regular steak. (that is to say: 2mins, turn 2mins, flip 2mins, turn 2mins. done. Then let sit wrapped in tin foil for about 10mins) Our steaks are not cut as thick as those. Ours are about 3/4 of an inch to 1 inch. Delicious. I will need to try the thicker cut with a beer braise. Nice

-Alfred

Since I'm heading to STL in a few weeks, I've put that on my list of things to order. Anyone have any foodie spots in STL I should hit? I'm not staying downtown, but I will have a car (and hopefully a few free hours)? Any restaurant recommendations?

CW, they are also known for their fried ravioli. Those are good, too. A different texture than the norm.

Man oh man, that spread looks just outa sight Pac!!:chef:

I'll be giving your pork steaks a try for sure, and the rest of the meal is right on the mark! Are those oval shaped things the frozen hash brown patties? What a great idea, and something I wouldn't have thought of for dinner, let alone the grill. I'm always impressed how you do such beautiful meals for yourself. So many single people don't bother and it's a shame. Kudo's !!!

Man oh man, that spread looks just outa sight Pac!!:chef:

I'll be giving your pork steaks a try for sure, and the rest of the meal is right on the mark! Are those oval shaped things the frozen hash brown patties? What a great idea, and something I wouldn't have thought of for dinner, let alone the grill. I'm always impressed how you do such beautiful meals for yourself. So many single people don't bother and it's a shame. Kudo's !!!
I live alone most of the time (that's a long story). I always make breakfast and since that is my big meal of the day, I don't always cook something in the evening, rather I eat light. Many of my single friends don't cook. Funny thing is they are all good cooks, but without s/one to share the food with them, they do something quick (microwave popcorn, take-out). I don't think it is because they don't want to, but rather they end up throwing food out. And yes, Pac, your meals are always ones that have me wishing I lived close enough to drop in and dig in to what you've pulled together.

Thanks everyone.

...So many single people don't bother and it's a shame. Kudo's !!!

Well I've been hoping some single women from DC would invite themselves over! :LOL:
Those oval things are potatos halved lengthwise.

Thanks, Andy, Linda.
Definitely give it a try. Braising the steak makes the fat all but disappear.

So, how good does the beer have to be? Same rule as for wine? "Good enough for the cook to enjoy while cooking it."

So, how good does the beer have to be? Same rule as for wine? "Good enough for the cook to enjoy while cooking it."

Good question. I'm guess since it is a St Louis dish, any Anheuser Busch product will do :LOL:
Good old Budweiser works for me. I don't think it really gives it that much flavor, just thins the BBQ sauce and helps create steam. Helps tenderize the steak some.

very nice, pacnar! a meal fit for a warrior!

do you buy a boston butt and cut your own steaks, or does a butcher sell them that way?

Thanks, Tom.
The town store always has pork steaks. They package them in twos. It makes it nice because I don't have to deal with the bone if cutting them myself. Which in the case of this steak must have fallen out. It's partner has the bone.

Gammon steak... is that a fresh piece of hind quarter, or has it been smoked?

Back
Top Bottom