Give us your meatball recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I wan't meatball recipes, from and for all of us. We all make them, and none of us have experienced every great kind of meatball out there. They can be any kind of meatballs, made any way you want. The more unique they are, the better.

Oh, by the way, we need a category for foods like force-meat, meatballs/loaf, pate', terrines, sausages, etc., you know things that are made with multiple kinds of meats, and other ingredients. If I'm making a meatloaf with ground beef, cudaghi sausage, breadcrumbs, eggs, onion, and seasonins, it doesn't really belong in the beef category, as the eggs are dairy, and the sausage is pork. I'll give a couple of my favorite meatball recipes when I have more time. Lunch is over and I need to get back to work.

I'm looking forward to seeing your responses.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

You read my mind. I was going to start a topic re same. Just posted a different Venetian-style meatball recipe. Hope you'll take a look & give it a try.

Spicy Pork Meatballs

Meatballs
•1 pound ground pork
•1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
•4 garlic cloves, minced
•3 green onions, finely chopped
•1 tablespoon fish sauce (such as nam pla or nuoc nam)
•1 tablespoon hot chili sauce (such as sriracha)
•1 tablespoon sugar
•2 teaspoons cornstarch
•1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
•1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
•1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil

•Line rimmed baking sheet with plastic wrap. Gently mix all ingredients in large bowl. Using moistened hands and scant tablespoonful for each, roll meat mixture into 1-inch meatballs. Arrange on baking sheet. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.

•Preheat oven to 300°F. Heat sesame oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of meatballs. Sauté until brown and cooked through, turning meatballs often and lowering heat if browning too quickly, about 15 minutes. Transfer meatballs to another rimmed baking sheet. Place in oven. Repeat with remaining meatballs.

The only meatballs I like, the recipe is probably not any different than most of common recipes, the only thing I like it cooked in a gravy instead of tomato sauce.

Wow, Chief, what a great idea! I love meatballs! I have some ground beef and pork in the fridge just waiting for inspiration!

If anyone has a way to make them on the grill, I'd love to hear it. I usually roast them, but it's going to be hot this week.

I'll get mine typed up, too. I have a great recipe for Greek meatballs and one for sweet and sour meatballs. Mmmm ... meatballs.

This recipe was a winner in our local March Meatball Madness contest.

I am going to try it this year during zucchini season.

I will substitute grated raw zucchini, squeezed dry, for the spinach.

I am always looking for a way to rid the world of another zucchini! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Dominick's Florentine Meatballs

1 1/2 pounds of ground beef
10 ounces of frozen chopped spinach thawed and squeezed dry
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 minced onion
3 eggs
3 slices day old Italian bread soaked in water and squeezed dry
2 cloves of minced garlic
2 t dry parsley
2 t black pepper

Mix well and portion using a 2 ounce scoop. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and simmer in sauce for 10 to 15 minutes prior to serving.

We love these and have them often:

Chicken Meatballs w/ Peperonata

Peperonata:
jar of roasted bell peppers, drained and diced
1 t red-wine vinegar
1 1/2 T olive oil
1 1/2 T capers, drained
1/4 t hot red pepper flakes

Meatballs:
1-lb ground chicken
1 c Italian bread torn into peices (about 3 slices worth)
1/3 c milk
2 T olive oil
1/4 c flat-leaf parsley
1 T tomato paste
1 large egg
3-oz pancetta, finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 small garlic clove, minced

Heat roasted peppers, capers, vinegar, 1 T oil and pepper flakes over medium heat until warmed through.

Soak bread in milk until soft, 5 min or so.

Cook the onion, garlic and pancetta in 1 T oil until onion is softened. Cool slightly.

Squeeze bread to remove excess milk, Discard the milk. Lightly beat egg in a large bowl, then combine with the pancetta mixture, bread, chicken and parsley. Form 12 meatballs and arrange in a 4-sided sheet pan.

Stir together tomato paste and 1 T oil. Brush over the meatballs. Bake @ 400F until meatballs are just cooked through, about 15 to 20 minutes.

Serve meatballs with peperonata.

This is an extraordinarily tasty and tender meatball recipe. It is part of a broader recipe for a Sunday Ragu which also includes tomato sauce, Italian sausages and a pork braciole.

I have served them to many in that form. I have also served them in sauce on a buffet table and in meatball subs. Everyone raves over these meatballs in sauce.

I use a FP for the veggies because I don't like the odd big chunk of onion in my meatballs.

Meatballs (Polpetti)

3 Tb Olive Oil
1 Small Onion, minced
3 Garlic, minced
1 Lb Ground Beef
1 Lb Ground Veal
½ Lb Ground Pork
1¼ C Bread Crumbs
¾ C Pecorino Romano, grated
2 Tb Italian Parsley, chopped
TT S&P
3 Eggs

Place 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic for 3 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Set aside to cool.

In a large bowl, thoroughly combine all the ingredients including the cooled onion mixture.

Shape the mixture into balls approximately the size of a large egg. You should end up with 24 meatballs.

Brown the meatballs in the remaining olive oil. Add them to the Sunday Ragu recipe to complete cooking. Deglaze the pan with some of the sauce and return it to the pot.

Last edited:
Good topic Chief :)

Curried Lamb Meatballs:

1.1 lbs (500gr) lamb mince
1 egg whisked
1/2 cup of fresh bread crumbs
splash of milk
1 small onion finely grated
1 heaped tsp of yellow curry paste or powder
1/2 tsp of ground coriander
1/2 tsp of parika
1/2 tsp of garlic powder
1 heaped tsp of apricot jam
1 tsp of sea salt
1/2 tsp of crushed black pepper
1 tbs of Worcestershire sauce

Oil for frying

Gently mix all the ingredients well without over working. Form into small meatballs. Place meatballs in the fridge for about 1 hour to set.
Heat about 3 tbs of oil in a non stick pan. Fry meatballs till golden on all sides and cooked through.

Serve with Roti and sambals.

Beef meatballs:
(Bacon and cheese bombs)

1.1 lbs (500 gr) of good quality beef mince
1 small onion finely grated
1 egg whisked
1 crushed Weetabix biscuit
splash of milk ( to moisten Weetabix)
1 tbs of Worcestershire sauce
1 tbs of tomato paste
1 tbs of chutney
1 tsp of paprika
1 tsp of ground coriander
1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper
1 tsp of sea salt
1 tsp of freshly ground black pepper
1 pkt of streaky bacon
1/2 inch cubes of fresh mozzarella

( Mix 1/4 cup of soy sauce and 1/4 cup of honey to glaze meatballs)

Mix egg, milk and crushed Weetabix in a small bowl. Blend all ingredients except bacon and mozzarella well without over working.
Form meatballs, stuff each one with a cube of mozzarella and wrap with a strip of streaky bacon.
Leave meatballs in the fridge for an hour or 2 to set.

Grill meatballs on BBQ or grill till bacon is crisp. Glaze with soy and honey.
Serve hot.

Chicken and lime balls:

1.1 lbs of ground chicken
1/2 cup of fine breadcrumbs
1 eggs whisked
milk to moisten breadcrumbs
2 tbs of fish sauce
2 tbs of honey
2 tsps. of hot sauce (tabasco will work fine)
2 large green onions (spring onions) finely chopped (green and white part)
1 large clove of crushed garlic
1 tsp of sea salt
Oil for frying

Soak breadcrumbs in milk. Blend all ingredients well with milk and breadcrumb mixture.
Form into balls and allow to set in fridge for about 1 hour.
Pan fry chicken balls till golden and cooked through in a non stick pan.

Serve with Thai sticky rice. Mix the zest of one lime, 2 chopped spring onions and one small grated carrot into rice as soon as rice is cooked and still hot.

Serve chicken balls and rice with wedges of lime.

Last edited:
Aside from the standard Italian meatball, my favorite is Swedish meatballs. Served with rice and I am one happy camper. :angel:

ea

Aside from the standard Italian meatball, my favorite is Swedish meatballs. Served with rice and I am one happy camper. :angel:

Now that you mentioned it...here's how we make Swedish meatballs:

1/2 c finely chopped onion
1 T butter
About 1 c mashed potatoes (about 1 large potato)
3 T crushed unsalted Saltine crackers (or white bread or oatmeal)
1 lb ground beef
1/2 lb ground pork
1/3 c heavy cream
1 egg
1 T chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cardamon

Sauce
Pan drippings (if you cook the meatballs in the oven, use beef stock)
3/4 c cream (heavy, 1/2 and 1/2, or sour cream)
nutmeg
1 T flour
2-3 T lingonberry sauce

Directions:

1. Melt butter in pan, saute the onion for about 5 minutes.
2. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix until well blended.
3. Shape into 1" meatballs.
4. Dredge meatballs in flour seasoned with ground pepper and a little nutmeg and a bit more ground cardamon.
5. Brown in oil--shake pan so that the meatballs brown on all sides--you want them done, it takes about 10-15 minutes (I cook them in the oven on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper)
6. To make gravy, take pan drippings, add about 3/4 c cream or sour cream (I've used evaporated milk when I've wanted to freeze them with gravy), and 1 T flour (I make a roux using butter, beef stock, and 1 T flour. I usually add sour cream right at the end, some nutmeg, cardamon, and about 2-3 T lingonberry sauce and pepper when I brown the meatballs in the oven).
7.Pour the hot sauce over the meatballs (or drop the meatballs into the sauce).

Serve over potatoes, rice, or egg noodles, garnish with more chopped parsley. We usually eat them over egg noodles. My grandma used to make a huge batch in oven roaster at Christmas time...they were so good served with a side of lingonberry sauce...

Last edited:
Read this thread yesterday, and had meatball subs for supper last night. Used turkey meatballs and a tomato sauce. Actually I made them similar to the ones that no mayo talked about, but I just threw the things in until it looked good. Reading this sure made me hungry for meatballs! I made a few for myself with not as much of the bread crumbs, and more cheese. They were harder to hold together (go figure), but lower in carbs. I didn't have a sub either, but the meatballs and a good salad to go with it. There is something to say for a pile of meatballs on your plate! :yum:

Are Salisbury Steaks meatballs? If so, bring on the recipes!:yum:

My mother used to feed us meatballs wearing many disguises. I think most of them started in the test kitchens of major food companies or the basements of local churches.

Polynesian sweet and sour meatballs over rice.
Sauerbraten meatballs over fried noodles
Swedish meatballs over noodles
Italian meatballs over macaroni, pasta had not been invented yet! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
Porcupine meatballs with mashed potatoes

I think the meatballs were all the same basic mixture disguised with various sauces to make us think we had something other than ground beef or venison on our plates.

Most of them tasted pretty good !

When the meatballs went from being round to being square we knew we were in trouble, that usually happened following meatloaf night!:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom