Howdy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

desertwillow

Assistant Cook
I'm Stephanie, and I just found this website yesterday while Googling for what beets taste like (yep, I've never had a beet!)

I'm a single mother who is passionate about living a healthy lifestyle (on a budget!) and finding new ways to make healthy meet tasty. I figured a cooking forum would be a good place to start! My other passions are macro photography and exotic animals - my daughter and I keep them as pets and breed them.

Looking forward to browsing around and getting hungry :LOL:

hi stephanie, welcome to our friendly foodie forum! i named my daughter 'stephanie' so i like you already.:) make yourself at home, and join in any place....

Hi Stephanie and welcome to DC. Some describe beets as having an earthy flavor. I love beets. The smaller beets will have less of an "earthy" flavor. Golden beets also have a milder flavor but are usually more expensive (unless you plant your own).

Welcome! IMHO you are not missing anything by not trying beets! Yuck! :wacko:

Welcome
Before you make a final decision on beets, try them several different ways
I didn't like canned beets at first (many years ago), But then I had then pickled and Harvard. I even had them roasted. I soon grew to love them any way. My favorite are the baby beets. Moe tender and lots of flavor.

I definitely agree with the roasting letscook. The roasting sweetens the taste of most vegetables and the carmelization adds a whole other dimention. Roasting even works to get DH to eat asparagus, a veggie he tires of after the first serving of the year.

Welcome to DC - by far the BEST place on the web I've found. This place is full of experts, rookies and everything in between. The chatter is not limited to food either .. not much here we don't talk about. Mostly it's a fun place to be. Love your little pooch picture !

Hello fellow newbee! I'm also new & this place has a lot of info.

I never tried to roast beets, I usually eat as much stuff as I can as bland & plain as I can to help keep weight off so I usually just boil my beets, slice them & eat them plain. I'd rather add stuff to my side dishes to make up for the bland of my veggies.

Then you really should try them roasted ahoymatey. So much more flavorful, nothing plain about them. You don't need to do anything to them unless you want to put a little olive oil on them before you roast them. They are perfect out of the oven! Himself would rather eat beets pickled than boiled but he really enjoys them roasted.

I'm definitely going to try them, I have some planted in my garden so it's only a matter of time until I will be eating them fresh! Yum.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom