Short Ribs question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roadfix

Chef Extraordinaire
I picked up these short ribs at a Korean market. Almost all fat has been trimmed off and the strip of meat from the rib bones can be pulled out to almost 2 feet long. Are they meant to be sliced and grilled?
The short ribs I always get from my local market, with the fat cap and all, I normally smoke them for like 6 hours.
Anyway I ended up smoking them the usual way.

img_1258411_0_43f9a60683a0184427695cf1a489fe89.jpg

img_1258411_1_19413e451ae5e6cb2612d6381037abda.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, I think you're right. Dang, I 'ruined' a perfectly good cut of meat by smoking them. They were meant to be sliced, and grilled hot & fast....:rolleyes:

Those are Galbi cut. And yes they are ment to be marinaded and cooked quickly.

Those are Galbi cut. And yes they are ment to be marinaded and cooked quickly.
Well, they had precut galbi or flanken cuts as well. I often do those, marinated, and quickly grilled. But these I got were trimmed up in a different manner as you can see from the first photo.
Normally, I would get these larger chunks (before they slice them thinly for kalbi) with a nice fat cap and cut them between the bones and end up with squarish chunks you often see at local supermarkets. I believe they're also referred to as English short ribs.

Last edited:
Well, they had precut galbi or flanken cuts as well. I often do those, marinated, and quickly grilled. But these I got were trimmed up in a different manner as you can see from the first photo.

Traditional Galbi cuts are butterflied from one rib bone. Yours are butterflied from three. It would take one big grill to cook those without cutting.
The Galbi cuts that have three bones cut thin with a band saw are LA Galbi. They are huge labor savors and you can use beef ribs with less meat.

I cooked LA Galbi last night.

LA Galbi with Ssam Jang Recipe / Korean BBQ Beef Ribs / 갈비 by powerplantop, on Flickr

Normally, I would get these larger chunks (before they slice them thinly for kalbi) with a nice fat cap and cut them between the bones and end up with squarish chunks you often see at local supermarkets. I believe they're also referred to as English short ribs.

Those are really good for low and slow cooking.

What confused me was they also had bulgogi cuts beautifully arranged and packaged. But these I got had ribs attached at the end of the long strip which threw me off.

That is the first time I have seen them cut from three bones like that. Where did you buy them?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom