My electric oven is slowly losing it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennyema

Chef Extraordinaire
I set it (digitally) to say 425, but my oven thermo inside says it's 350!

I first noticed it when it was about 25 degrees off, but now it's 75 degrees off.

ANYONE HAD THIS HAPPEN?

It's about 8 years old. Should I call the repair man or set off to the appliance store?

What a pain!!! That must be so frustrating. I would call a repair man if it is not too much $, unless you are looking for a good excuse to buy a new kitchen toy ;)

Sometimes the thermostats can go out, or it may be just be needing re-calibration. I'd have a service man look at it.

Jenney, my moms oven has been like that for a year or so. Us hillbilly's just set it higher to get it to the right temp. Or you can do what everyone else would do and call a repair man

Jenny:

If you're happy with the oven otherwise, I'd look into repair rather than replacement. 8 YO is not a long time for an electric oven. I think the others are right, it's just a sensor or thermostat.

Jenny, this just happened with my oven too, but it's gas. It was off by about 65 degrees.

The repair man came out and explained that it's a GE model that unfortunately was built with a defect where the heat sensor wasn't sealed well enough so that the heat that is vented out of the top of the stove starts to melt the temp sensor, thus causing the bad reading. Unfortunately the variance will only get worse over time. DH was home when the repair man explained it so I'm not sure of all of the parts that repairing was going to entail but it was going to cost $400 for parts alone. We're saving up and are going to break down and get a new oven in a month or two.

Each manufacturer has a range in which you can re-calibrate an oven. For the GE model we have it was only within 10 degrees. My mom's, a different GE, is 25. So it's worth checking your owner's manual and see to what extent you can re-calibrate.

THANKS EVERYONE!! :)

I have, in fact, just been adjusting it up, but it's gotten to the point where 425 is as hot as it'll go.

I will call the repairman soon!

And Choc Chef, sorry to report but I got a replacement bowl for the food processor .... so the old girl will not be coming your way (yet, at least)

jennyema said:
THANKS EVERYONE!! :)

I have, in fact, just been adjusting it up, but it's gotten to the point where 425 is as hot as it'll go.

I will call the repairman soon!

And Choc Chef, sorry to report but I got a replacement bowl for the food processor .... so the old girl will not be coming your way (yet, at least)

Dang nubbit! 8) just joking

When you do feel like replacing it, let me know......:)
and actually, I am glad you took my advice of just getting a bowl. Makes me feel you trust my judgement.....

Last edited:
choclatechef said:
Dang nubbit! 8) just joking

When you do feel like replacing it, let me know......:)
and actually, I am glad you took my advice of just getting a bowl. Makes me feel you trust my judgement.....

I will and I do, indeed!:)

Back
Top Bottom