Penzeys spices: Any opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Poking around on the internet one night, I ran across either an article or recipe that mentioned Penzeys Spices. Has anyone ever bought from them? If so, how is their quality? Were you satisfied?

I just got my catalog in the mail the other day and it looks intriguing. Considering checking them out. There is a retail store about an hour from our house. Not exactly somewhere you could pop in to pick up a little basil for supper, but the right distance for a nice spring drive. As a bonus, our favorite Jewish deli is on the route between here and there.

The catalog itself it very interesting. Hoping their spices are just as delightful. If you've used these let me know if you were happy. Thanks!

Hi CG,

I've been buying Penzeys spices for years, and they're excellent. I love love love their cinnamon, herbes de Provence, fines herbes, smoked paprika, garlic powder, toasted onion powder, and many, many more.

P.S. Ooh, what I would give to have a great Jewish deli in my area!

Last edited:
...P.S. Ooh, what I would give to have a great Jewish deli in my area!
merstar, that deli (Rein's Deli) "in my area" is 37.5 miles away! It is on our route between MA and OH and we used to stop there every time we were returning home. We now have a great diner we stop at, sometimes each way. If you're ever on I-84 in the Newtown, CT area (yup, that Newtown :() you just have to stop at Blue Colony. Yummmm....:yum:

The reason I'd like to go to their shop is because you can sniff each and every spice and blend they sell. I'd better go well-armed with tissues - I'll probably end up with a sneezing fit!

Excellent quality, CG. Their garlic powder smells like you just chopped up some fresh. I buy all my spices from Penzeys, unless I'm buying something specific I need right now. Then I wish I had ordered it from Penzeys.

I was looking also at one time and was directed to Penzey and ordered from them, they have a good selection pricing not to bad. Fast shipping also
In fact I just received a new catalog in the mail yesterday.

I like Penzey's, too. Really good quality, and they usually include a bonus item with your order. Sometimes it's a couple pieces of whole cinnamon or nutmeg and sometimes it's a small jar of something. I've bought their sets as gifts, too.

Another endorsement for Penzeys. I bought online for years and then they opened a store nearby. I'm fortunate enough to be about a half-hour from the Penzeys store in Arlington, MA. Actually, I'm due for a trip very soon but I have to take inventory first.

I think it's a good thing that my Penzeys is as far away as it is. I could spend a lot of time and money there.

I have to be very careful there and take a list with me. Even then, I sometimes stray from the list.

Whenever I return from Penzeys I always expect the usual "You spent HOW MUCH?" from DW.

Thirty minutes is a bit far, but five minutes would be perfect to be able to stop in there and pick up an item or two as needed. I've been out of their Greek seasoning for a while, but don't really need anything else at the moment to get an order together. Mail order has it's good and bad points. Having one of their stores so close would be sublime.

In addition to carrying all the usual herbs and spices, they have a host of proprietary blends that can be very good. I use the 4S seasoned salt a lot.

In addition to carrying all the usual herbs and spices, they have a host of proprietary blends that can be very good. I use the 4S seasoned salt a lot.

It didn't take me long to burn through their free sample of Mitchell Steak Seasoning. It's a nice blend that I use on grilled chicken wings often, besides an occasional piece of beef.

I'll have to try their seasoning salt. I'm out of Lawry's anyway and it will help construct an order.

It didn't take me long to burn through their free sample of Mitchell Steak Seasoning. It's a nice blend that I use on grilled chicken wings often, besides an occasional piece of beef.

I'll have to try their seasoning salt. I'm out of Lawry's anyway and it will help construct an order.

I haven't tried the Mitchell. We are hooked on the Weber Chicago Steak Seasoning. It's outstanding.

Those Weber spice bottles with their domed lids are cool to boot!

I love Penzey's too.

I bought some stuff at the Spice House in Chicago a few weeks ago and they are also good but I like Penzey's better.

OOooo, you guys cannot believe how much I am looking forward to our expedition tomorrow. I'll feel like Marco Polo when he traveled his spice route to China. Perhaps Himself and I should find some sort of Asian restaurant for a dinner out. :cool:

I have to be very careful there and take a list with me. Even then, I sometimes stray from the list.

Whenever I return from Penzeys I always expect the usual "You spent HOW MUCH?" from DW.
Funny you should say that Steve. I googled Penzeys reviews late last night and found a website/blog (thekitchn.com) with a review of the MA Penzeys store. A comment that had me chuckling was I left and was like 'I'm so proud that I only spent $60 in there!' This could be a budget-buster trip.:LOL:

I think it's a good thing that my Penzeys is as far away as it is. I could spend a lot of time and money there.
See ^above^ comment. :ROFLMAO:

AND in anticipation of just how much I might spend tomorrow I'd better start looking for an easy crock pot beef roast recipe so we can come home to supper....

Back
Top Bottom