Turkey Roulaide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Turkey is an overlooked meat. It's inexpensive, and delicious. The problem is that most of us think that turkey is to be cooked as a whole bird. That makes it cumbersome to use in daily cooking. I believe the following idea will give you just one idea about how to use this inexpensive meat more often. I think that this next payday, instead of purchasing chicken, I'll be buying turkey breast.:chef:

While washing my hair this morning, an idea came to me for a new entre'/appetizer using turkey breast. Here it is:

Slice the uncooked turkey breast, against the grain, into thin slabs. Dredge the slabs in AP flour, then egg wash, then in breadcrumbs seasoned with sage, thyme, black pepper, salt, and celery seed, you know, seasonings for turkey stuffing. Lay the breaded slabs on a wire cooling rack and let dry for about 5 minutes or so to set the breading. Then, spread a thin layer of chunky cranberry sauce onto one side of the slice, and jelly roll. Secure with toothpicks. Bake until meat thermometer reads 160' F. Serve either as a main course, or appetizer.

I'm thinking steamed asparagus spears with Hollandaise would be a great side for this.

Of course you could change this up a hundred different ways. You could roll the breaded turkey slices in chopped onion and mushrooms, or with a liver pate'. The only requirement is to not overcook the turkey, and make sure that all of the flavors compliment each other.

Though I haven't made these, as the idea just hit me this morning, They sound like they would be easy to make, and could be quite delectable.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind fo the North

This sounds wonderful, Chief. I poached a turkey tenderloin(whole) last weekend and made Turkey Tonnato. it was delicious. Maybe you saw my post.

This sounds wonderful, Chief. I poached a turkey tenderloin(whole) last weekend and made Turkey Tonnato. it was delicious. Maybe you saw my post.

I did see it. I'm just not sure how I'd like tuna sauce, especially made with canned tuna. But then again, many, many people turn thier noses up at some of the foods I really like.

And to be fair, I've tried some foods in my life that I really wasn't expecting to taste good (many varieties of sushi for instance:LOL:) and was surprised at how wonderful they were. Turkey Tonnato might just be like that. Unless I try it, I wont' know.:ermm:

But your description of what you made was great, and makes the dish sound interesting enough to try. Oh, and I do like the ocasional can of tuna (not albacore as it's higher in contaminates), especially packed in water. A tuna melt is a comfort dish. I'm not a picky eater, as a rule. And as I think about it, there are flavor similar flavor componants to turkey and canned tuna. I do know that my DW would not be interested in the dish.

I know I sound scattered here (no, not Chief Lognwind,:ohmy: say it isn't so:LOL:). I'm just playing with thoughts, and combining flavors in my head. The more I think about the Tonnato, the better it's sounding. I wonder how it would be with a bit of Old Bay mixed into the sauce. Hmmmm.

Now look whatcha did, you've got me thinking again; and we know how dangerous that is.:ohmy:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Keep thinking and inventing great dishes, Chief. I used canned imported from Italy tune packed in olive oil.

Sounds great, but my whole family are not turkey lovers. For Thanksgiving I always made chicken. And only my daughter will eat the white meat. Every so often I will buy just a leg and roast it for myself. Something to pick at as a snack. :angel:

While washing my hair this morning, an idea came to me

i hope you rinsed and repeated. ;)

looks good, chief. i agree, turkey is way overlooked. we eat a lot of ground turkey, and often buy boneless breasts for cutlets, and i love to smoke legs and thighs when they're on sale during the summer.

if you smoke them right, a turkey leg will burst with delicious juice as you bite into it. most people don't think of legs as being that juicy, but they can be.

ok, i need to go to the store for legs, and hickory apple chips. :pig:

Back
Top Bottom