Can I get good crackling on a leg of ham?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kujiraya

Assistant Cook
I'm keen to roast a leg of ham to get a very light and crispy crackling. Do you think that this could this be possible, considering all the curing and smoking that the ham rind would have been through already?

do you mean that after curing and baking a pork shoulder (a ham as it's known) you intend to fry the peeled skin to make cracklins, then yes, certainly. i do it every easter just before i make pea soup with the leftover bone and meat.

i peel the ham, chop and render the under-the-skin fat to sweat the onions for the soup, then continue to fry the fat and skin for cracklins.

if you mean can you get a cracklin type skin on a baked ham as is, well l, then, the only way that i can think of is to deep fry the cured shoulder much like a deep fried turkey.

has anyone tried this?

kuj, you might be on to something.

or just mad. lol

In the United States it is almost impossible to find a commercial ham with a thick cap of fat that can be deeply scored and slow roasted to create a crispy crackling.

I would look for a small local butcher that might be able to provide a whole fresh ham or gammon.

In the United States it is almost impossible to find a commercial ham with a thick cap of fat that can be deeply scored and slow roasted to create a crispy crackling.

I would look for a small local butcher that might be able to provide a whole fresh ham or gammon.

i don't know. it seems the cheaper the ham i buy, the fattier it is that then allows for crackins.
in one of my first recipes that i posted here, i mentioned renering the fat to sweat the veggies when making pea soup, then hiding the cracklins for the cook to enjoy later. :pig:

Last edited:
When I lived in Texas, one Easter I made (and the only time) a whole fresh ham leg. I made a mixture of pineapple juice, crushed pineapple and brown sugar. I scored it deeply, and pressed the mixture into the scores. Then placed cloves on it. I put it on 300ºF and cooked it very slow for about five hours. Then I turned it up to 400ºF. for about an hour. I was going for a pretty top. I knew nothing about cracklins. My neighbor came over to see how it was going. When she saw the skin, she told me she had dibs on ALL the skin. I thought she was crazy. But I was so wrong. When I told some other Texans about it, they thought I was crazy for not eating it myself. My neighbor did get all the skin. She invited herself to dinner to make sure. The skin was really crunchy crispy. And she was so happy. I think that is the only part of the dinner she ate. What she couldn't finish she took home. Cracklins still have no appeal to me. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom