Pork Sausage BBQ Beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another of my father's recipes. My wife prefers this recipe over mine.

2 cans Bush's Baked Beans -- (28 oz.)
1 lb. Jimmy Dean Hot sausage
1 Green bell pepper -- seeded and chopped
2 cups diced green onion -- including tops
1 cup Kraft Hickory Smoked BBQ sauce
4 whole cloves
4 whole allspice
8 whole peppercorns
1/2 cup brown sugar

Drain beans in a colander and set aside. Place allspice, peppercorns, and whole cloves in a spice mill or blender. Process until coarsely ground. Brown the sausage in a six to eight quart sauce pan or large skillet. Crumble the sausage with a spoon or spatula as it is cooking. Do not drain. **** See note below **** Sauté the bell pepper and onion with the browned, crumbled sausage until the onion is just starting to become translucent. Stir in the drained beans and BBQ sauce. Heat until it begins to bubble, stirring occasionally. Stir in spice mixture and brown sugar. Reduce heat and simmer for fifteen minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Transfer beans to a suitable, oven proof serving dish. Bake, uncovered, in oven for thirty minutes. Serve hot from the oven or allow to cool as desired.

Note: If a sausage other than Jimmy Dean is used there may be an excess amount of fat. This fat will continue to render as the beans cook, and may result in a greasy dish of beans! If you must substitute, do so carefully and drain off the excess fat.

yum, aromatic beanie weenies!

copied and pasted. another keeper, stink, thanks.

sounds great for a fairly quick meal at home, or hearty meal on a camping or canoeing trip. i can see this done in a firewood coal covered dutch oven. :chef:

btw, are you sure 4 cloves? that's pretty heavy duty.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom