ISO ways to use coconut butter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chopper

Executive Chef
Moderator Emeritus
I bought some coconut butter because I had never seen it before, and thought it would be a fun thing to try. I heated it, stirred it, and tasted it. Ok, but not the greatest. Next I added it to a smoothie. Better, but a bit odd. So, what have you used it for, and do you have any TNT recipes? Thanks! :chef:

Coconut butter?
Like the stuff they use for sun tanning? :LOL:

:ROFLMAO: I was ready to be impressed that you knew what it was when I saw that you had replied. It does smell just like the sun tanning lotion I used to slather on my body as a teenager! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

image-3550157912.jpg

I got coconut oil at Costco, am assuming it's similar? It really is a good skin moisturizer, I keep a small jar in the shower. I tried some in my hair as a conditioner, make sure you use an extra squirt of shampoo as I was a Rastafarian the next day.... I've also used it in my chocolate cheerio peanut butter clusters. Have cooked fish in it, adds a nice subtle coconut flavor.

http://wellnessmama.com/5734/101-uses-for-coconut-oil/

Last edited:
I got coconut oil at Costco, am assuming it's similar? It really is a good skin moisturizer, I keep a small jar in the shower. I tried some in my hair as a conditioner, make sure you use an extra squirt of shampoo as I was a Rastafarian the next day.... I've also used it in my chocolate cheerio peanut butter clusters. Have cooked fish in it, adds a nice subtle coconut flavor.

101 Uses for Coconut Oil

Thanks for the link. It talks about oil. Are the oil and the "butter" interchangeable. Could I use coconut butter in a batch of cookies instead of butter?

Thanks for the link. It talks about oil. Are the oil and the "butter" interchangeable. Could I use coconut butter in a batch of cookies instead of butter?

Andy's link talks about that. I would bet it would make great coconut shrimp!

I made coconut butter by whirring unsweetened, unprocessed coconut shreds in my food processor until it thickened (took a bit, 10 min or so). I think I ate most of it by the spoonful. =P But did use it in smoothies, oatmeal, etc.

Is coconut butter the same as the solid blocks of coconut cream I buy for using in curries?

Not sure, have never seen a solid block before. I use "coconut milk" from a can when making curries. Do you remember the brand name of what you use? I wanna Google it to see what it looks like.

I don't think it is the same as the solid block. If you took it out of the jar it would not stay the same shape unless it was chilled.:rolleyes:

Still looking for someone with TNT recipes...maybe no one has used this before.

What you have is wonderful, stir a big spoonful into any dish containing chilli and it will mellow out the flavor beautifully. It's wonderful with fish curry, stir a little into the stock to thicken after your fish is cooked . it makes it so velvety OR if you want, take a vanilla ice-cream recipe and substitute 1/3 of the cream with your coconut butter, soften and blend. Proceed as normal, taste and add a little more if you wish.Add fresh grated coconut if possible or dessicated coconut for extra effect Serve with warm lime sauce. Enjoy

Thanks Menumaker. For the ice cream, would I use coconut extract along with the coconut butter, or vanilla? I am excited about trying coconut ice cream. I never would have thought to add it to chili. That is very interesting.

As you wish chopper. Coconut and vanilla is a marriage made in heaven. Go with what you like. I would go with vanilla essence as it seems to emphasize the coconut, but make a small batch and adapt as you want. Coconut in Thai cooking is quite usual in in the milder curries. Don't mistake 'mild' for bland. They are truly elegant.

Not sure, have never seen a solid block before. I use "coconut milk" from a can when making curries. Do you remember the brand name of what you use? I wanna Google it to see what it looks like.
Various brands - I don't stick with any particular one but Blue Dragon comes to mind

Thanks Menumaker. For the ice cream, would I use coconut extract along with the coconut butter, or vanilla? I am excited about trying coconut ice cream. I never would have thought to add it to chili. That is very interesting.

Hey Chopper, your coconut butter is the same as coconut oil, it is solid at room temp. If you leave it out in the summer it will turn to oil quickly.

I use it in my breakfast oatmeal, instead of butter. I have subbed it for butter or oil in cookies and brownies. I like a virgin coconut oil as it gives that coconut flavor to things. Yum!

I'll have to look at the Maranatha, I use their almond butter, cashew butter, sunflower butter...now that one is fun tasting!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom