Heavy cream caramel troubleshooting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chinghila

Assistant Cook
I make salted caramels using a recipe that calls for heavy cream, butter, sugar, corn syrup, vanilla and salt. They are incredibly luscious and delicious, but they tend to break down from a chewy consistency into a (still delicious) but soft and crumbly candy within a couple of weeks. Anyone have any ideas what I might be able to do to stabilize my caramels? They definitely "go bad" faster in warm weather; maybe part of the problem is that I am cooking them on days that are too humid? I read somewhere else that I should dry my sugar out before making candy, and I am wondering if this might help as well. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I make salted caramels using a recipe that calls for heavy cream, butter, sugar, corn syrup, vanilla and salt. They are incredibly luscious and delicious, but they tend to break down from a chewy consistency into a (still delicious) but soft and crumbly candy within a couple of weeks. Anyone have any ideas what I might be able to do to stabilize my caramels? They definitely "go bad" faster in warm weather; maybe part of the problem is that I am cooking them on days that are too humid? I read somewhere else that I should dry my sugar out before making candy, and I am wondering if this might help as well. Any advice would be much appreciated.

You could send some to me and I will keep them from going bad. :yum:

I had a girlfriend that made these every year at Christmas time, but I don't ever remember them lasting very long. They were so good that they all were eaten before there was a problem. I know she did wrap them individually in waxed paper. :huh:

I'm no help. That would not last a couple weeks around here. Maybe we should all have a look at the recipe to see if we can find any flaws especially the part that they last two weeks.

Back
Top Bottom