Green Bean Disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think extending them is the only way to cut the heat, either the aforementioned or some other dish where they are an ingredient and not the star. Maybe in a Thai inspired stir fry? Any chance you can put them in a colander and give them a quick rinse to lose some/all of the pepper flakes? Then just reheat by tossing in a skillet with some butter.

I think extending them is the only way to cut the heat, either the aforementioned or some other dish where they are an ingredient and not the star. Maybe in a Thai inspired stir fry? Any chance you can put them in a colander and give them a quick rinse to lose some/all of the pepper flakes? Then just reheat by tossing in a skillet with some butter.

You're right, Bunny, now they become an ingredient. Unfortunately, rinsing would probably remove the bacon, onion, and butter pecan flavor. These would have been so good, if they weren't so hot!

You're right, Bunny, now they become an ingredient. Unfortunately, rinsing would probably remove the bacon, onion, and butter pecan flavor. These would have been so good, if they weren't so hot!

You can always return those flavors to whatever casserole dish you choose to incorporate them in. In the meantime you are saving the green beans and not wasting them. Do let us know how it all turned out. :angel:

Yes, you would lose all of the other flavors :(. Was it an issue with the recipe, is the called for amount of red pepper flakes too much? (it does seem like a lot) or does DH not care for hot/spicy food? (Mine doesn't)

I think it was because I eyeballed it, and got a bit heavy-handed, oops. We both usually like spicy, but DH just didn't feel the pepper flakes worked. It made a lot, and these were my special homegrown beans, so I couldn't just throw them out!

I would serve them with something really hot, then they won't seem so bad :angel:

Looking at the tot recipe, I'd think all the other ingredients would definitely cut the heat. I wish I had some tots so I could make this casserole! But alas, I don't and I am cooking for myself tonight anyway and that would make waaay too much for just me!

Back
Top Bottom