Bechamel-based cheese sauce - cheese becomes particulate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seans_potato_business

Senior Cook
I made bechamel and then added a grated cheese. In the past this went well except one time a few years ago and yesterday when I had the problem I will describe now. The cheese appears to melt into the sauce but the final result is a particulate material of the original colour of the cheese. The particulate matter does not melt/dissolve. The cheese yesterday was a mature cheddar bought at Costco. Does anyone know why this happened?

What was your ratio of cheese to sauce and did you need to thin the sauce? Is it possible the quality of the cheese wasn't good?

Last edited:
If the Béchamel is too hot, the proteins in the cheese clump together and form unmeltable lumps. When the sauce is ready, take the pan off the heat and gradually stir in the cheese.

If the Béchamel is too hot, the proteins in the cheese clump together and form unmeltable lumps. When the sauce is ready, take the pan off the heat and gradually stir in the cheese.

Again, Andy, I believe you nailed it. You are this - :cool:, when the heat is on.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

you may want to try making your Bechamel in a bain-marie - a water bath. the heat is indirect and the sauce can be cooked at lower temps.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom