Advice on purchase of skillet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Valentine

Assistant Cook
Hello Everybody:

I have been looking for a 10 - 12 inch skillet (frying pan) without much success. I want stainless steel, mirror finish inside, three-ply with either aluminum or copper core, and (here's the rub) a tight fitting lid. A help handle (I think that's what it is called) would be nice but not essential. I does not matter if the handle is riveted.

I went so far as to buy a huge Cuisinart set that met all these requirements and with the assurance that the lids in the set would fit the two skillets included but of course they did not. So I took it back.

Could someone suggest a brand, and store or online outlet? I don't mind paying a reasonable amount for this but I don't want to have to mortgage the house.

Thanks for all your help,

Valentine.

All-Clad makes a 12" skillet and a 12" lid. You'd have to call them or find them in a store to be sure they fit.

Skillets are almost always sold with no lid.

I know Cuisinart's lids will work from sauté pan to skillet. The lids that came with my 3.5 and 5.5 sauté pans fit well onto my 10" and 12" skillet respectively.

I know Cuisinart's lids will work from sauté pan to skillet. The lids that came with my 3.5 and 5.5 sauté pans fit well onto my 10" and 12" skillet respectively.

+1. I have the Cuisinart set too.

The last stainless cookware set we bought was from Sam's Club. I have no complaints with it. It bears the name Wolfgang Puck, but it was on sale.
The lids fit very well.

Call me crazy but I prefer Kitchen Aid stainless cookware because of the way the lids fit. However I must admit all my skillets are cast iron.

I have an Emeril stainless skillet that I love. But I like my cast iron skillet better. :)

With most SS sets, the large lid is designed to fit the stock pot and the frying pan. When looking on line, make sure you look at the specifications and take careful note of the width of the frying pan, cover and stock pot. I would rather buy and shop for in person, individual pots than a set. It might be more costly than buying a set, but you would have exactly what you want and need. And think of all the fun you will have seeing and touching all those beautiful pans.

I would think if the cover fits too tightly on any pan, you are almost creating a pressure pot atmosphere inside the pan. That could be come dangerous. :angel:

I have a Calphalon set. I like a saute pan better than a skillet; the 3.5-quart saute pan that came with the set has a nice, tight-fitting glass lid.

With most SS sets, the large lid is designed to fit the stock pot and the frying pan. When looking on line, make sure you look at the specifications and take careful note of the width of the frying pan, cover and stock pot. I would rather buy and shop for in person, individual pots than a set. It might be more costly than buying a set, but you would have exactly what you want and need. And think of all the fun you will have seeing and touching all those beautiful pans.

I would think if the cover fits too tightly on any pan, you are almost creating a pressure pot atmosphere inside the pan. That could be come dangerous. :angel:

Unless the lid is fastened to the pan somehow, as with a pressure cooker, the pot will simply boil over and make a mess ;)

After using our Scanpan skillet, nothing we've purchased before can compare!

I have a couple of Scanpans and absolutely love them. They've been the best non-stick I have ever tried. I bought one for my boat several years ago and found it to be the "go-to" pan for most everything. I loeved that one so much, I bought one for home with a lid that fits pretty tightly but it does have a couple of mico vents built into the rim of the lid that allows for some venting. I still use my cast iron for blackening, but these Scanpans are great. They have a fairly heavy bottom to dissipate the heat and I find that I can reduce the temps on these compared to my All-Clad stainless (which I still use too)
Good luck.
Tom

I have a couple of Scanpans and absolutely love them. They've been the best non-stick I have ever tried. I bought one for my boat several years ago and found it to be the "go-to" pan for most everything. I loeved that one so much, I bought one for home with a lid that fits pretty tightly but it does have a couple of mico vents built into the rim of the lid that allows for some venting. I still use my cast iron for blackening, but these Scanpans are great. They have a fairly heavy bottom to dissipate the heat and I find that I can reduce the temps on these compared to my All-Clad stainless (which I still use too)
Good luck.
Tom

CI is the only real choice to blacken. I use my jet cooker to get the CI white hot, which is necessary for proper blackening. LOL, first time I mentioned having bought a Scanpan here and how much I paid for it, someone called me crazy.:rolleyes: I do not mind paying for good quality.

BTW, welcome to DC.

Last edited:
CI is the only real choice to blacken. I use my jet cooker to get the CI white hot, which is necessary for proper blackening. LOL, first time I mentioned having bought a Scanpan here and how much I paid for it, someone called me crazy.:rolleyes: I do not mind paying for good quality.

BTW, welcome to DC.

Yes they are about twice the price compared to a "decent" non-stick, but they will only last a year or two before the Teflon show signs of flaking. These Scanpans still look new after several years (and no Teflon)....I am more than willing to pay for quality that lasts....like you said!

Check TJ Maxx. They usually have a pretty good selection of stainless steel from Cuisinart, Kitchen-Aid, etc., the price is usually reasonable and a lot of them come with glass lids.

Tramontina 12-inch tri-ply skillet is recommended by ATK, bought by me, and yes, it does! I forgot if the lid comes with it, but if not, then the NordicWare 12-inch that I bought, does work.

I bought the Tram 10-inch tri-ply pan, and the Nordic lid for it, too.

The Nordic lid also fits my Lodge 10-inch chef pan, and my 10 1/4-inch skillet.

Back
Top Bottom