What goes with bananas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
I don't like bananas so only eat them as a penance (mashed with Weetabix and plain yoghourt - kills the taste and deals with the texture) when I'm on Slimming World but I do make (so I'm told) a very good banana, walnut and rum ice cream.

A friend has to do a dinner party for her husband's boss and clients (I thought that went out with Formica kitchens and paper nylon underskirts!!!) and has asked me to make an ice cream bombe with an outer of the banana ice cream and a filling of some sort. I'm not sure where to go with this as I don't know what does go with bananas.

I usually do a bombe with a sorbet inside (rather than a mousse) as it cuts the richness of the ice cream but at a pinch could use another flavour of ice cream. I thought of:-

chocolate sorbet
caramel sorbet
lime and ginger sorbet
salted caramel ice cream (probably a bit rich but her husband deserves to be sick for dumping her in this situation!) .

Any other ideas for something that would compliment the banana, walnut and rum flavours?

Chocolate goes really well with banana as does coconut. Good luck with your project .. let us know how it goes !

Ditto!
Also, mango and pineapple go well with banana.

Ooh, a mango and pineapple sorbet....sounds like your ice cream is already pretty rich, this would be nice with it.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I'm going to experiment with pineapple and coconut tomorrow. It's quite nice and sharp so should contrast the sweetness of the banana.

Salted caramel ice-cream would do it for me. ( Think Banoffi) Like you, I'm not mad about bananas either so not something serve often. A strawberry sorbet could work in the middle with a touch of brandy or vodka to keep it a wee bit on the soft side perhaps.It would also go with the other flavours.

I hate bananas, but I pick them up on the "past their best buy date" for the girls. They love them. For me, it is the texture and smell. However, I do like banana bread--the only way I can stomach bananas.

Salted caramel ice-cream would do it for me. ( Think Banoffi) Like you, I'm not mad about bananas either so not something serve often. A strawberry sorbet could work in the middle with a touch of brandy or vodka to keep it a wee bit on the soft side perhaps.It would also go with the other flavours.

Hi menumaker! I knew we would meet eventually! :LOL:

I think salted caramel is a great idea.

I know this was a long time ago but I said I'd give a report so .....

I eventually went with caramel sorbet inside the banana, walnut and rum ice cream shell.

Friend said it went down well.

Here is what I do with bananas. It works equally well on a BBQ or in the oven. (One banana per person - so multiply as required).

Split the skin of the banana along the inside curve and pull the skin away slightly.

Stab the banana with a fork, then drizzle with rum (of your choice).

Stash pieces of dark chocolate along the sides - between the skin and the banana.

Wrap in tin foil and heat on the BBQ or in the oven. Timings really depend on the size of the banana and how impatient you are feeling. But the banana should be soft - but not totally mushy. 15 - 20 minutes on the BBQ - 30 minutes in a hot oven?

Open up the parcel and serve with fresh whipped cream and/or ice cream.

Truly delicious!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom