Self-Cleaning Gas Oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarolPa

Executive Chef
This is my first time with a self-cleaning oven. I would like to know about other's experiences. I am afraid of having the oven going at such a high heat. My friend won't use her "self clean" feature because the one time she tried it, it set off the smoke detector. She cleans it by hand. I don't want to do that. I want to be not afraid to use the self clean feature.

I have a self-cleaning gas oven and have been self cleaning it for 13 years.

If the self cleaning cycle sets off the smoke detectors, it's because the oven really needed cleaning.

These ovens are made for the high heat. The temp goes up around 900º F to burn off all the spills etc and turn them to ash which wipes out with a damp cloth. If there are a lot of spills, there will be smoke. Open the windows and go for it.

If you leave the shelves in the oven, they will not be shiny bright any more but they will be cleaned.

Follow the instructions in the manual.

Thanks! A couple days ago I cooked chicken in it and I left it in too long and there is chicken grease spattered all over the oven. I think I will try cleaning the shelves by hand before I try the self cleaning. I would rather not dull the finish on the shelves since this is a new appliance. Want to keep it shining as long as I can!

Today is a cool day, so we have the windows open anyway. How long does the self clean cycle take?

My oven has a default setting of 4 hours but it can be set to longer if the oven is really dirty. A little grease splatter from a chicken isn't very much. I have had a banana bread spill over and fall into the oven.

You really don't have to clean it after one messy roast. Usually, if I can smell the oven when it's preheating I know it's time to clean it.

I think my manual says to take the racks out, so I do that. It takes 4-5 hours. I set it to clean overnight and then wipe it out in the morning.

My oven has a default setting of 4 hours but it can be set to longer if the oven is really dirty. A little grease splatter from a chicken isn't very much. I have had a banana bread spill over and fall into the oven.

You really don't have to clean it after one messy roast. Usually, if I can smell the oven when it's preheating I know it's time to clean it.

First I have to find the manual. LOL It's really not a "little" splatter. It looks like the chicken exploded. It definately needs cleaning. The smell of the spray oven cleaner I used to use would probably be way worse then the self cleaning. I never imagined it would take 4 hours.

When you start the cleaning cycle, the oven door is locked closed. The oven has to heat up to temp then keep at that temp for a set time. Then it has to cool down so it's safe to open the door.

Once you clean it and see the results, you'll be happy with it.

This is my first time with a self-cleaning oven. I would like to know about other's experiences. I am afraid of having the oven going at such a high heat. My friend won't use her "self clean" feature because the one time she tried it, it set off the smoke detector. She cleans it by hand. I don't want to do that. I want to be not afraid to use the self clean feature.
I hated the self-clean on the old cooker. Apart from the temptation to ignore the build up there's the smell when you do get round to it. My new one has lovely pristine enamelled interiors. All it needs is a wipe with a damp cloth wrung out in washing up liquid and hot water every time I use it. Gunge doesn't have time to build up so it's a two minute piece of cake.

I hated the self-clean on the old cooker. Apart from the temptation to ignore the build up there's the smell when you do get round to it. My new one has lovely pristine enamelled interiors. All it needs is a wipe with a damp cloth wrung out in washing up liquid and hot water every time I use it. Gunge doesn't have time to build up so it's a two minute piece of cake.

Mine is only a year old and it is has a very nice interior. I think a wipe-up would have worked if I hadn't had the chicken grease splatter. I cleaned the door by hand, but I think the oven is going to need the self-cleaner. It's bad.

Mine is only a year old and it is has a very nice interior. I think a wipe-up would have worked if I hadn't had the chicken grease splatter. I cleaned the door by hand, but I think the oven is going to need the self-cleaner. It's bad.

What are you waiting for? We're all waiting to hear that it came out great and you love it.

Please don't be too disappointed in me. When my BIL told my husband what it was like to run the self cleaning feature of our oven, he didn't want me to do it. He said he would clean it, and he did! He cleaned out the loose stuff, then put some hot water on the baked on stuff, and scrubbed it by hand. It turned out beautiful! I think maybe the chicken fat that splattered handn't had time to really bake on hard. It looks brand new. I am going to buy a splatter shield before I cook chicken again!

It's perfectly safe! This technology has been around for decades. Tell your husband not to worry. The worst thing is sometimes there is a smell from all the crud burning off.

It's perfectly safe! This technology has been around for decades. Tell your husband not to worry. The worst thing is sometimes there is a smell from all the crud burning off.

I believe that it's safe. He didn't like the idea of having the oven on at 900 degrees for 4 hours. He did the work, and I will be so much more careful not to have spills and spatters, and to wipe up quickly.

I believe that it's safe. He didn't like the idea of having the oven on at 900 degrees for 4 hours. He did the work, and I will be so much more careful not to have spills and spatters, and to wipe up quickly.

First of all, there's no disappointment on my part.

Second, the oven is up to 900º for part of the time. For a good part of the 4 hours, the oven is heating up and cooling down. So it's at top temp for maybe half the time.

Self cleaning ovens are super insulated so the high heat is not a problem.

First of all, there's no disappointment on my part.

Second, the oven is up to 900º for part of the time. For a good part of the 4 hours, the oven is heating up and cooling down. So it's at top temp for maybe half the time.

Self cleaning ovens are super insulated so the high heat is not a problem.

It's just a problem to my husband.

Back
Top Bottom