Bye Bye Chicken Nuggets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I read that this morning, and I am disgusted. Chinese chicken products have already killed American pets--so now we are going to give it to our children?

That fact that the imported product does not have to be labeled as such is a travesty as well.

I agree. The FDA has well-documented information on tainted chicken dog treats (the freeze-dried chicken breasts). This has also been featured on various documentary shows in Canada and the US. Because the chicken is shipped to China for processing, most of the chicken dog treats sold in Canada are labeled as being produced in the US--the chickens were, but the processing was done in China.

Deaths of 500 dogs blamed on jerky treats, FDA says - NBC News.com

FDA Investigates Animal Illnesses Linked to Jerky Pet Treats

Dog Treats From China Rumored To Be Unsafe For Pets Prompts FDA Investigation

Shame on the US poultry industry for shipping slaughtered chickens to China (I mean, really, is that necessary? Oh, right, cheaper labor, fewer regulations). I doubt the consumer will see a drop in prices for these products at the supermarket.

It seems to me KFC in China had issues with the chicken received from Chinese poultry producers not long ago.

It must be possible to find out which producers are sending chicken to China for processing and avoid those brands in stores.

Last edited:
That just goes to show you how screwed up our country is, when we can slaughter a chicken, ship it to China for processing, then import it back instead of keeping the whole operation here.
And yet we complain about rising food costs... rightfully so, but this is what happens.

First the chickens, next it will be your Smithfield hams. There is a Chinese company that is trying to bid to buy the company. Smithfield Hams are an American Institution. :angel:

The idea of purchasing chicken that has been (a) slaughter in NA, (b) shipped to China for processing, (c) processed in China, (d) shipped back to NA for sale bothers me. In my mind, China is thousands of miles away and the fuel to move the chicken from point A to point B back to point A and then to market is unnecessary. Since when did chicken have to be processed in Asia? Makes one long for the days when one could go to the local butcher and get a fresh chicken...

Makes one long for the days when one could go to the local butcher and get a fresh chicken...

This
xY8QLvn+tRw9n5EIAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

The idea of purchasing chicken that has been (a) slaughter in NA, (b) shipped to China for processing, (c) processed in China, (d) shipped back to NA for sale bothers me. In my mind, China is thousands of miles away and the fuel to move the chicken from point A to point B back to point A and then to market is unnecessary. Since when did chicken have to be processed in Asia? Makes one long for the days when one could go to the local butcher and get a fresh chicken...

Years ago GE used to ship their train engines down to Brazil to have certain work done to them, them ship them back. It was cheaper than the plant here in Erie doing the work start to finish. I think since then they have stopped doing that.
Same thing, only with chicken.

On a positive note though, when I was at the store today I saw three platters of shrimp in the case, all about the same size; 16-20 count. One was farm raised in Vietnam, one caught in Bangladesh, and one caught right here in North Carolina. And ours was the one that was $5/lb cheaper. It surprised me why they would even bother with the other two.

Yet another reason to avoid processed foods. I was appalled when I heard about this, but it's just the latest example of the screwed up mentality surrounding food in this country. If people don't speak out against this sort of thing, it will only continue to get worse.

I believe more and more there's something to be said for that whole "eat local" thing.

Yep, I really became worried after I heard about the Smithfield deal. Is it a done deal or are they still negotiating?

It is not a done deal. There is a group of stockholders that want the company sold off in parts to prevent China from getting any of it. A stockholders meeting is scheduled. :angel:

Hey Hoot, I can't view/open that image. Anyone else have a problem? (I'm using Chrome)

That just goes to show you how screwed up our country is, when we can slaughter a chicken, ship it to China for processing, then import it back instead of keeping the whole operation here.
And yet we complain about rising food costs... rightfully so, but this is what happens.

The idea of purchasing chicken that has been (a) slaughter in NA, (b) shipped to China for processing, (c) processed in China, (d) shipped back to NA for sale bothers me....

Did I misread the article, because I got the impression that the chickens were first grown* in China, then shipped to NA for slaughter, then returned to China for processing, then back to NA to poison us. Seriously? I have a very hard time believing that this can be a cost-effective way of saving a few cents on a nugget. :wacko:

* I know the term is "raised" but you nurture something you raise. In this instance they're grown...like weeds. :-p

We used to have a chicken house here down in the Maverick Square area. You could go, pick out your live chicken, they would ring the neck and pluck and gut the chicken for you. Each process added to the cost. My mother would just have them pluck it. She did the rest herself. When we lived on the farm, it was my job to hold the chicken when the head got chopped off. It is what farm kids did. :angel:

First the chickens, next it will be your Smithfield hams. There is a Chinese company that is trying to bid to buy the company. Smithfield Hams are an American Institution. :angel:
It is not a done deal. There is a group of stockholders that want the company sold off in parts to prevent China from getting any of it. A stockholders meeting is scheduled. :angel:
If it does go through, even in parts, we'll have to be on the lookout for more labels than just Smithfield:
In addition to Smithfield, the company's brands include Armour, Eckrich, Gwaltney, Kretschmar, and others.

Looks like the hold out is an investment firm by the name of Starboard. Go Starboard! Then again, they just might be looking to have the Chinese pick up the company one label at a time for a larger profit...

Do you mean the little arrow or the symbol beside it. I just switched to Chrome to see what you were talking about. I can see the upward pointing arrow, but I have no idea what that symbol beside it means.

Thanks for checking it in Chrome. It's the little "box" at the end of your post. It's the symbol for image when it won't display within the thread. Lately I can't even open it in its own frame. Guess I'll have to ask Himself what's up - he's my in-house tech support but he's not around right now.

This is what caught my eye, CG, but I just skimmed it.
"Initially, at least, the chickens will be slaughtered in the U.S. (or another nation that's allowed to export slaughtered chicken to the U.S.), then shipped to China for processing and re-export."

CG, If you can see the upward pointing arrow, then I reckon that is the image that little symbol is referring to. I merely used a keyboard combination to insert an upward pointing arrow. There is no other image there. I am curious why Chrome interprets the keystroke ALT+24 that way. I will have to look into this.

Back
Top Bottom