PF's Colorado Red Chili Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
PF's Colorado Chili Sauce

2oz. dry pasillo-ancho chilis (dry poblanos)
2oz. dry guajillo-entero chilis (dry Anaheim chilis)
1 green pepper
1 fresh Anaheim chili
1-2 jalapeno peppers
1 big onion, quartered
8 cloves fresh garlic, peeled
3 1/2 cups water, boiling hot
1 teas. salt
1 teas. dry Mexican oregano
1/2 teas. ground cumin

Stem and seed the dried chilies, cut into 1 inch pieces (Iuse kitchen shears, pour half the hot water into a bowl and soak the chilies for 20 minutes.

Mean while stem and seed the fresh peppers, add to blender with onion and garlic cloves, puree. Add some of the reserved hot water if needed. Pour into large sauce pan. When dried chilies are softened add them with the soak water to the blender and puree. Add to the saucepan with any remaining hot water. Stir in salt, oregano and cumin.

Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer for 40 minutes. Taste for seasoning.

Use as enchilada/tamale sauce, with stewed beef (I use ground beef these days), pork or chicken.

I also like it as a base for tortilla soup and it freezes well.

Ok you've convinced me your recipe sounds wonderful. It's on the to do list.
ma

If I paint this on a steel door and leave it sit for 5 minutes will it eat through like in the movies? :LOL:
Seriously, how hot is this? I like hot, but all dem chilies man... :ermm: Yowza.
I might just try this on some chicken wings. The hardest part will be accumulating the chilies.

I can't handle hot so I make sure I deseed ALL of the seeds. It's not hot at all, but it has a lot of that good spicy flavor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom