Best pot/pan for reducing stir time and preventing scorching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cave76

Washing Up
l'd like some suggestions/advice on what would be the best pan/pot to buy to help keep the chore of constantly stirring a pot/pan that has a milk product in it using my cheap electric (sigh) stove that came with my apartment. (Or any other recipe that needs long stirring.)

For instance---- making rice/tapioca pudding.
I do use a flame tamer.
Heavy bottom?
Stainless is best for me.

I know that I could use a double boiler----- but doesn't that take a long time? And still need watching?
Maybe use a slow cooker? But I'd really rather cook at the stove.

Any ideas welcome.

Cooking a milk based food is going to be problematic. A heavy-bottomed SS pot is best. Either one with a layered disk on the bottom or a tri-ply SS sandwich to even out the heat distribution. A flame tamer does that also.

A combination of low heat and stirring is still the best solution. This in combination with the right pan will minimize your issues.

I agree with Andy.

Some foods that have milk can be microwaved. I find it usually works even better than a double boiler.

Thanks to you both---- and Andy M, it sounds as if you're in concert with me ----"problematic'. Sigh. Where's my maid when I need her?

Taxlady------ I've always had the worst luck in trying to microwave stuff like milk in the MW---- I must not have 'your touch'. Boil-overs to the nth degree. And hominy grits that have boiled over!!!!!!!!! Just like concrete on the walls of the MW.

Thanks to you both---- and Andy M, it sounds as if you're in concert with me ----"problematic'. Sigh. Where's my maid when I need her?

Taxlady------ I've always had the worst luck in trying to microwave stuff like milk in the MW---- I must not have 'your touch'. Boil-overs to the nth degree. And hominy grits that have boiled over!!!!!!!!! Just like concrete on the walls of the MW.
Yup, boil overs are easy. Turn down the power and nuke for one minute at a time. If it's a large amount you could start with more time. It does need a bit of baby sitting, but not as much as stirring. When you think it is nearing the boiling point, keep an eye on it through the window. I have never been able to do stuff with a lot of milk on the stove without it leaving a layer of cooked milk stuck to the pot, even with a double boiler. That doesn't happen in the microwave.

l'd like some suggestions/advice on what would be the best pan/pot to buy to help keep the chore of constantly stirring a pot/pan that has a milk product in it using my cheap electric (sigh) stove that came with my apartment. (Or any other recipe that needs long stirring.)

I do use a flame tamer.
Heavy bottom?

I know that I could use a double boiler----- but doesn't that take a long time? And still need watching?

Any ideas welcome.
If milk puddings - sago, rice, tapioca - then why not cook it in a low oven for a couple of hours. I've never cooked rice pudding on the hob. If you cook it in the oven you get a lovely brow topping on the cooked pudd. Dad and I used to squabble over whose turn it was to eat it

(Don't do tapioca and sago. We always called them "frog spawn" at school and it felt like it in your mouth.)

Last edited:
I have a round piece of iron about 1" thick that fits on my burner that sort of works for things like that over a low flame. My husband made it for me in the machine shop. Sorry I can't give you a brand name. I still give a stir now and then.

mad cook---- you said "why not cook it in a low oven for a couple of hours."-------that would certainly work, but not for an impulse eater like me. LOL Yes, tapioca IS a bit like frog spawn----- so I guess you've never had Bubble Tea! But I like them both.

oldvine: that piece of iron might work even better than my cheap-o flame tamer. Still, it would have to have a long heat up time first. But maybe I'll try that. Maybe Lodge Logic makes one.

Just remembered something I used to have ----- a ceramic disc about 1 inch thick and 3 inches across that was meant to be put in the bottom of a pot to keep 'things' from boiling over. So long ago that I don't remember if it actually worked or not. :(

Just remembered something I used to have ----- a ceramic disc about 1 inch thick and 3 inches across that was meant to be put in the bottom of a pot to keep 'things' from boiling over. So long ago that I don't remember if it actually worked or not. :(
Co-incidence - I saw one of those advertised in one of those irritating little catalogues that come inside magazines. I don't know if they work either although I suspect they act as a warning - the boiling "things" probably make it rattle and draws your attention rather than actually preventing the boiling over.

taxlady, If you try it in a MW would you report back to us (or to me, the less adventurous one?)

I do use a flame tamer.
Heavy bottom?

Any ideas welcome.
I don't like stainless steel pans for milk-based recipes. However expensive they always seem to scorch. I have a non-stick aluminium pan that I save for milky things. I think you are stuck with standing over it if you heat it on the hob.

The double boiler would be OK. You'd need to check regularly to make sure it didn't boil dry but you'd be free to do other things in the kitchen. You're right, it'll take a long time. Likewise the slow cooker but you could go away and leave it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom