"Greasy" plastic containers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cave76

Washing Up
Not exactly cookware----- but------

What brands/types of plastic containers have you found that can be washed (by hand) and won't retain that greasy feel after washing, washing, washing.:(

I think that Tupperware might be good. Also Rubbermaid?
Any thoughts or preferences?

I've given up on plastic; I haven't replaced 100% of my plastic containers with glass yet but that is the goal.

I tossed them when they got like that. Or when they got pitted (from someone who gets a little over enthusiastic when re-heating leftovers in the microwave).

Plastic and food shouldn't really be together any more than absolutely necessary, imo. ;)

I've given up on plastic; I haven't replaced 100% of my plastic containers with glass yet but that is the goal.

I tossed them when they got like that. Or when they got pitted (from someone who gets a little over enthusiastic when re-heating leftovers in the microwave).

Plastic and food shouldn't really be together any more than absolutely necessary, imo. ;)

Same here. I hate plastic in my kitchen. :angel:

I reuse cottage cheese, yogurt and sour cream containers. If they get too greasy or stained, I recycle them with the plastics, but usually they clean up pretty good (I do have a dishwasher). I don't have any Tupperware, though we got some antimicrobial plastic containers that came free when we bought our last fridge, and they clean up nicely. I don't remember the brand name.

What brands/types of plastic containers have you found that can be washed (by hand) and won't retain that greasy feel after washing, washing, washing.:(

Tupperware not available over here for years. I use "Lock and Lock" - not cheap but not as expensive as T'ware would be - and find them very good. They can be used in the freezer and the microwave (with the clips loosened) and they don't feel greasy. They do stain if you freeze anything tomato-y in them but I get round that by putting a poly bag inside and the tomato sauce, etc., in that. Can you get L&L where you are?

Some of the cheaper versions of L&L can be a bit lethal to unfasten - I've shed blood before now so check the clips before you buy.

Last edited:

Can't comment on Tupperware because I haven't owned any of that in many many years.

However, I own a lot of Rubbermaid. I purchase only the ones that can stack inside each other so they only consume a small area for storage.

I love Rubbermaid brand because they can take the heat of a microwave re-heat and they clean up beautifully.

I use Dawn exclusively in my kitchen. It will get the grease off of anything and it rinses away quickly.

I had 1 time where I had to wash a rubbermaid container twice and that was after I emptied a small tub of bacon grease from it.

You might want to try Dawn - it works really well. And if you are looking for good plasticware and need it quick - Rubbermaid is available almost everywhere and it comes in great nesting sets.

Tupperware not available over here for years. I use "Lock and Lock" - not cheap but not as expensive as T'ware would be - and find them very good. They can be used in the freezer and the microwave (with the clips loosened) and they don't feel greasy. They do stain if you freeze anything tomato-y in them but I get round that by putting a poly bag inside and the tomato sauce, etc., in that. Can you get L&L where you are?

Some of the cheaper versions of L&L can be a bit lethal to unfasten - I've shed blood before now so check the clips before you buy.

All of my plastics are Lock and Locks...they DO NOT go in the microwave or Shrek will be murdered in his sleep. He's an enthusiastic microwaver and thinks more time is the best, we paid too much for the L&L for him to ruin it.

I set aside three smaller L&L's for him to store onion in, although I don't know why he can't use a zip bag. I got tired of taking 2-3 days to get the onion smell out.

All of my plastics are Lock and Locks...they DO NOT go in the microwave or Shrek will be murdered in his sleep. He's an enthusiastic microwaver and thinks more time is the best, we paid too much for the L&L for him to ruin it.

I set aside three smaller L&L's for him to store onion in, although I don't know why he can't use a zip bag. I got tired of taking 2-3 days to get the onion smell out.
:)
I don't actually cook things in the L&L in the m'wave. I only reheat or thaw things so they are OK for that but I suppose if I had a Shrek and he wanted to cremate things it would be a different matter.

I find *bicarbonate of soda very good with onion smells. I mix to a paste, rub round the offending article, leave to stand for a short while and wash in hot water.
(*baking soda)

:)
I don't actually cook things in the L&L in the m'wave. I only reheat or thaw things so they are OK for that but I suppose if I had a Shrek and he wanted to cremate things it would be a different matter.

I find *bicarbonate of soda very good with onion smells. I mix to a paste, rub round the offending article, leave to stand for a short while and wash in hot water.
(*baking soda)

I have been reduced to using bleach to get the smells out of plastic...maybe I am just hypersensitive to stale, raw onion smell, but that one ruins all meals for me.

I have been reduced to using bleach to get the smells out of plastic...maybe I am just hypersensitive to stale, raw onion smell, but that one ruins all meals for me.

Have you tried lemon juice? I use a mixture of lemon juice, white vinegar and water for an all-purpose cleaner. Cuts grease and leaves a nice fresh scent.

I've tried vinegar, lemon juice, baking soda, crumpled up newspaper. Finally settled on soaking with a weak bleach solution to remove the odor.

I had an unfortunate experience when I was a kid in which I helped Daddy chop onions and went to bed with that smell on my hands...the unfortunate part, I had stomach flu. To this day stale, raw onion makes me nauseous. That's why any wiff of it may just be a hypersensitive (psychological) reaction to it. Bleach takes care of it for me.

DA uses glass containers with the plastic lids. I use the Gladware as Sir Loin of Beef does, and Rubbermaid. But to freeze things, these are Rubbermaid only used for freezing and not for the microwave.

Your friend,
~Cat

I have some corningware dishes that look like little casseroles that have rubberized lids, those are our favorite to store leftovers in. Everything goes through the dishwasher so no problems there. Most of our reheating happens in corningware type dishes, rarely in plastic.

If I have to hand wash, I have a process that works for me, it comes from years in food service. Rinse everything well, scrub any tough spots then fill up the sink with hot water and dish detergent and wash the items. When done the water shouldn't look very dirty. This method makes sure that no grease redeposits on other dishes. For me Ajax and Target brand dish detergents work well, maybe it's my washing method.

Aside from the fantastic job Dawn does in the kitchen and around the house, one of the main reasons I buy Dawn is that for every bottle sold, P&G donates $1 to the Save The Wildlife Fund. Dawn is the only product that they have found that will cut through all that crude oil when there is a spill of any kind. Even in the ice cold waters of Alaska! :angel:

No you aren't onion is awful to get off anything, including hands. It's the sulphur

We know that if you wash your hands under running water and just rubbing a stainless steel spoon or other SS implement on your hands, you can get rid of that onion smell. I have often wondered if and how would you do it, if you could apply the same principle to other objects. Would a SS disk such as a round magnet sloshed around a plastic container do the same job? :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom